Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you leave your ceiling fans on?
Yes, always 24/7 in all/most of my rooms 11 16.67%
Yes, but only if I am at home & I turn them all/most on 5 7.58%
Yes, but only if I'm home and only in a specific room I'm using 42 63.64%
No, never 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We keep ours running 24/7 except when a family member shuts them off (and gets yelled at). We have high ceilings which comes into play in the winter due to heat layers as mentioned. The heat transfer analysis provided only considered conduction (heat trasferred by contact of two surfaces) and not convection (heat transfer by actually moving the air).

When the blades rotate clockwise, air is being pulled down from the ceiling and concentrated into the center of the room. Concentration of the air increases velocity and provides more cooling effect. We usually run our fans on medium to high in the summer.

When the blades rotate counter-clockwise, air is being drawn up from the floor in the center of the room and dispersed across the ceiling and down the walls. Dispersal of the air decreases velocity so the cooling effect of air movement is less noticeable in the winter season. Dispersal of the air is due to distance from fan to ceiling (vs distance to floor). We run our fans on low in the winter.....extra low would be better if there was such a setting.

...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be aware that leaving the AC fan on full time will increase the humidity level inside your house. Once the compressor cuts off, air blowing across the coils will transfer the moisture condensed on those coils (think of the moisture condensed on a glass of ice water) into your house. If you live in Arizona this might not be a problem, but it might be uncomfortable in the deep south.

Also, if your A/C unit and ducting are located inside a very hot attic area (like mine), leaving the fan running soon begins to blow not on moist air but moist and warm air into the house.

I say leave it off.
Dear reWAHOO, Now I am worried. This may seem too ignorant but how do I find out if my A/C unit and ducting are in the attic? The compressor is outside near my deck, the thermostat is on the first floor (ground level), but I don't know where the "ducting" is? How/where should I look? Please help.

Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Where are your vents located? The ducting will be in the space above them if they are in the ceiling or below them if they are in the floor.

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote