celebration - what ethnic group?

socca

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A house in my neighborhood hosted a party Thanksgiving evening. It had the following elements:
• a large group of men singing loudly in a language I couldn't identify
• the singing was accompanied by a piercingly loud, wailing musical instrument (perhaps a trumpet?)
• the group became increasingly loud and boisterous as the evening wore on (perhaps alcohol was involved?)

So...given this admittedly sketchy information, anyone want to hazard a guess as to the culture / ethnic group involved? This manner of celebration is certainly alien to my own culture, which perhaps could best be described as 'midwestern American geek'. :D

That could be just about anything!

Not a clue. I think the stereo typical Thanksgiving or Christmas celebration is much more somber. Maybe a little more celebration like your neighbors would be a good thing. Why don't you talk with your neighbor noting how joyful their celebration sounded. Remember to bring a bottle of wine and something to share (meat and cheese platter, dessert or the like). Learn more about your neighbor and maybe you'll get invited for some event.

Why don't you talk with your neighbor noting how joyful their celebration sounded. Remember to bring a bottle of wine and something to share (meat and cheese platter, dessert or the like). Learn more about your neighbor and maybe you'll get invited for some event.
+1

I always believe in the more kind, direct approach, rather than speculating. Maybe because, as a minority myself, I have received too many "assumptions" over the years due to people not willing to talk to me, or ask me directly, about something they observed.

First thing that occurs to me would be a Jewish family doing klezmer. The instrument sounds like it could be a clarinet, which would be traditional.

Sounds like loudmouthius redneckius, which is predominately found in the warmer southern climate but has been known to settle in various rural areas all over the United States. Usually you can investigate the nest and if you see Pabst and Budweiser bottles, you can be fairly certain it is this species.

sounds like loudmouthius redneckius, which is predominately found in the warmer southern climate but has been known to settle in various rural areas all over the united states. Usually you can investigate the nest and if you see pabst and budweiser bottles, you can be fairly certain it is this species.

rotflmao

I'm still trying to figure out the group we meet in '76.

Midnight on a dark deserted road out in BFE. Bunch(20) of people in white robes around a campfire chanting a language(Latin?) that we didn't understand. Hung out for a while, but we'd dropped some mind altering chemicals that night so we weren't ready to meet new friends.

Your group sounds like more fun.

Midnight on a dark deserted road out in BFE. Bunch(20) of people in white robes around a campfire chanting a language(Latin?) that we didn't understand. Hung out for a while, but we'd dropped some mind altering chemicals that night so we weren't ready to meet new friends.

That was you?:greetings10:

OP,

Makes me kind of jealous how interesting your neighbors are. We'll occasionally hear mariachi and ranchera music when our neighbors a few doors down have a muy grande fiesta. Otherwise it's all quiet on the eastern and western fronts. The loudest interlopers we hear routinely are the geese doing the sexy and the frogs/crickets/cicadas chirping.

Sounds like a Klan meetup and/or a ghost convention.

OP,

Sounds like a Klan meetup and/or a ghost convention.

We've often wondered. Our thoughts are klan meeting or witches.

We grew up in the area and never heard of klan activities but I suppose that is how that would work. A group of us in an unrelated incident found a bunch of trash that had an interesting dairy that would be consistent with witchcraft.

DW and I were all of 19 and the incident is still very clear in both of our minds. It's still pretty funny today, both of us seeing the same thing but afraid to admit it.:D "Dont worry dear, I'm sure there's always people chanting down there in the middle of the night. You see them too, right?"

Midnight on a dark deserted road out in BFE. Bunch(20) of people in white robes around a campfire chanting a language(Latin?) that we didn't understand. Hung out for a while, but we'd dropped some mind altering chemicals that night

Maybe it was just a bunch of Boy Scouts roasting marshmallows, and your perception of that scene was influenced by the chemicals? :cool:

First thing that occurs to me would be a Jewish family doing klezmer. The instrument sounds like it could be a clarinet, which would be traditional.

I read a little about klezmer on the web, and it appears to be an excellent candidate - thanks for the tip!

It wasn't clear what house the music was coming from, and I wasn't in the mood to investigate in case there were guns/swords/knives involved. 😀

It wasn't clear what house the music was coming from, and I wasn't in the mood to investigate in case there were guns/swords/knives involved. 😀

You missed out big time. Those are the best kind of parties. Until they aren't.

From my childhood memories, Rumanian folk music has some really jarring high ptiched singing.

Next up: Irish, they are no slouches in the volume department. Known to use shillelags, or belts with large buckles to sort out issues.

Did you hear bagpipes?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom