Join Early Retirement Today

Cell phone advice
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cell phone advice

I am a gadget power user and always a big Apple user. Now I need a cell phone/PDA. The obvious choice seemed to be the iPhone, though I do not like AT&T. While I sometimes find Apple's obsession with things beautiful and cute to be a bit much, the iPhone is hard to criticize.

A lot of things are changing in the industry, including which carriers are selling which phones. DW has an iPHone and I have an iPod Touch so I know them pretty well. But I have to make my move soon. SPrint seems to be the preferred carrier in my home town.

I also became very interested in the newer (2.1) Android phones, like the HTC Evo, Nexus One, and their less fancy cousings like the Samsung Element. I already rely on Google for mail, documents, spreadsheets, contacts, etc. so that part should be easy.

Can anyone share experience with Android? Other suggestions?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am partial to my Blackberry Storm but...

I have always found this website useful for this kind of query.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

If past years are any guide, Apple will be introducing a new iPhone this coming June. The present 3GS model will then be available at rock-bottom price ... $99 maybe.

Peter
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

No experience...I noticed a short market based article today at M*.

Google's Android Keeps Capturing Mobile Market Share
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

DS just last week got a Droid to replace a Blackberry. He likes the phone a lot and also the Google platform. Says there are already tons of apps for it. He likes the separate keyboard vs. the iPhone's in-screen keyboard, but then he's used to the separate keyboard from the Blackberry.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the Droid and it's being updated to Android 2.1. I'm an IT geek, but never really had use for messaging and other things.

I like the Droid, which I chose for it's Verizon network. I've had Verizon for 8+ years.

I hear that the iPhone may be available on Verizon soon.

I'm working to integrate Google Calender, voice, email, ect into my daily routine as I'm starting to forget stuff (too many things to do!).

I still have a lot to learn on it, but have a decent number of apps installed already. A to-do list, shopping list, car maint tracker and reminder, tricorder (geek coolness), and a few games. Plus a USAA app where I can just take a picture of my check and it gets deposited.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If the iPhone is truly the phone you want, then you might want to wait a little longer. It looks like Apple is moving away from its exclusive partnership with AT&T and I have heard that they will start offering an iPhone compatible with Verizon's CDMA network in the second half of this year. I believe Sprint uses a CDMA network too.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If iPhone went to Verizon and you could tether I would switch to an iPhone.

I have a Blackberry Storm. I got it in January. It is very handy for checking email and some apps are very handy, like google maps. But the phone has been twitchy. When I am back north I am going into the Verizon store and talk to them about the phone. About twice a month it locks up and I have to take out the battery to get it to work right.

As a long time flip phone user I find this type of phone harder to use as a phone. I often fumble to answer--what side is up?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have the Blackberry Storm and like it for the most part. Email is great. Google Maps is great. I can tether it to my laptop or wireless router at our weekend place and get a reasonable Internet connection. I might have gone with the iPhone but I needed Verizon for a good enough 3G signal to serve our weekend place.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Blackberry, DW has an Iphone. My Blackberry is great for email in most instances, but AT&T is spotty. I have to go outside of my house to make a call or email. I don't have 3g
DW's Iphone with 3g (AT&T) has a better connection than my Blackberry, but I don't think the Iphone has as good an email application as the Blackberry.

But I'm an app nut, so I'm getting an Iphone in a few months when thety release the next generation - maybe with Verizon if projected release dates hold up.

The NEW iPhone 4G - Coming 2010
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
If iPhone went to Verizon and you could tether I would switch to an iPhone.
SPrint will soon have an android phone you can use as a 5-user hotspot. I think it is a high end "Evo" model.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My blackberry is Evo 3G and draws in a signal beautifully. I still favor Verizon as a carrier as its coverage is good just about everywhere. I hear that Sprint's Android will have a 3G/4G.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have a first generation BB Storm and it is terrible. I have an ipod touch which is wonderful to type on while the storm is just painful. Very unhappy with it.

DH just got an iphone. I've noticed that since he got it about half the time when I try to call him I get a message that the call can't be completed. I guess that has something to do with ATT network deficiences.

I am waiting to the summer to what comes out next with the iphone. If it was on Verizon with tethering would definitely get it. I like the idea of the iphone due to apps and having a lot of TV shows bought through iTunes.

But the Android does look nice...but then there is that apps/Itunes thing so not sure.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I am waiting to the summer to what comes out next with the iphone.
I read there is some type of iPhone announcement coming out on Thursday.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Now I need a cell phone/PDA.
Perhaps a better issue to ponder would be "Why?"

I'm not trying to suggest a particular answer, just to point out that a major transition like this should be viewed as an opportunity to re-examine and re-assess everything you've taken for granted...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You could use a prepaid until the one you want comes out. I am leaning towards an iPhone, but that is in Japan with a different carrier. For the US though, the Evo with 5 user hotspot sounds REALLY good.

R
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I read there is some type of iPhone announcement coming out on Thursday.
Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 Thursday | Circuit Breaker - CNET News

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote