Join Early Retirement Today

Cell Phone + Breastfeeding While Driving.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cell Phone + Breastfeeding While Driving.

Police say Comptom could have injured her child and others because she was breast feeding and talking on the cell phone while driving the vehicle...Compton said she will take the advice of the officers into consideration, but she may breast feed her baby while driving in the future if she feels that it is necessary.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see home schooling as an option. Nothing wrong with bringing the kids into school a little late sometimes.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

This Mom needs to plan ahead or get ear plugs. Yes, babies get hungry at inconvenient times but sometimes it is wiser to just let them cry until you can find a safe place to feed them whether or not they are breast fed.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Pull over if you have to breastfeed, Mom. As much as we concentrate on drunk driving (and deservedly so), we ignore so many other types of impaired and/or distracted driving that are probably just as serious in terms of accident rates. That includes using cell phones, reading, putting on makeup, reading the paper, eating and any other number of things.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Pull over if you have to breastfeed...
Yep. Most of the girls I dated insisted on it.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Dang, too slow...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Dayton must be full of geniuses. Did you click the one about the woman who accidentally set herself on fire when she soaked her head with gasoline to kill head lice?

She "didn't want to shave her head because she was getting married in a few weeks."

I feel really sorry for this badly injured woman, but please, gasoline is not a haircare item.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh I don't know about that Ha

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad to see that there is actually something being done about this lady. That is really dangerous what she is doing. To me this is the same as drunk driving. She is doing something that can severly impair her ability to drive.

And when she ends up killing someone you can bet she will get little or nothing for doing so.

Female criminals get off way way way way too easy and it hurts society.

I hope no one on here has lost a family member or any one they care about to a drunk driver. If you have you know that regardless if you are killed by a satanic mass murderer or are a victim of terriorism or a school shooting you are no less dead if you are killed by someone drunk driving....yet this is seen as not a very serious thing!

Here is a local story for me that made me want to post on this thread...my parents passed this horrific "accident" the day it happened. I'm still thinking about it...it's been on our local news and in the papers. A lot of people here are talking about this one.

Ambulance Driver Sentencing In Fatal Marshall Township Crash In 2007 - kdka.com

Keep in mind that she killed two people and this is only a misdemeanor so she will have no consequences of really anything after she gets out of jail possibly after not even a year in jail.

I guess I'm not shocked that she got off with so little since I new a girl that killed a guy while speeding and a girl that killed an infant and neither one served a day in jail.

If one of these guys raped her they would do decades in prison and be on a sex offender registry for life...but she can kill two people and it's no big deal.

My solution is to make drunk driving homicides not treated as a joke. This lady deserves 20 to life for that....many many many people are serving sentences that long that didn't kill even one person.....I don't consider drunk driving an "accident"

A lot of "crimes" have no victim really and really hurt no one or do so very indirectly that it makes little difference.....the damage is crystal clear with a drunk driving "accident" though!

So when they talk about cracking down on these driving offenses it really makes a lot of sense. Something like 50,000 (I'm dong this by memory) are killed by people with alcohol in their system. This is a pretty huge number but it's not taken seriously.

I know a lady that has been busted over and over again for driving drunk. One time she was driving with an open container drinking as she drove with kids under 5 years old in the car with her. She gets picked up by the police and someone is called to come get her. But guess what? Nothing is done. If she ever lost her license she drives anyways even though it is revoked...because I see her driving!

I'm sure if they did a study on people using cell phones that there would be a lot of deaths related to that too.

Breast feeding a kid while driving might actually impair you as much or more as being drunk.

And notice that the lady in the article says she will continue to breast feed while driving if she feels like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all HOW you get killed not if you are killed that gets peoples attention.

Stay safe everyone!

Jim

summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
Keep in mind that she killed two people and this is only a misdemeanor so she will have no consequences of really anything after she gets out of jail possibly after not even a year in jail.
That has always mystified me, why the laws do not recognize this.

Lesson: If you want to kill someone, do it "accidentally" with a car, not a gun.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I once saw a woman reading a newspaper while driving 75 MPH down I-70. She wasn't scanning or anything. We drove past her twice in a 5-minute period, and she was leisurely reading the paper laid out on the steering wheel.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I once saw a woman reading a newspaper while driving 75 MPH down I-70. She wasn't scanning or anything. We drove past her twice in a 5-minute period, and she was leisurely reading the paper laid out on the steering wheel.
A well informed driver! It may be the only time she has to read stories about women breast feeling while
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

If she had the baby in a sling she still could have driven with two hands if it weren't for the cell phone. That said, she's an uncaring idiot. If someone had hit her head on or she slammed on the brakes that poor baby would have had it's skull crushed. So much for breastfeeding for the health of the baby.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
If she had the baby in a sling she still could have driven with two hands if it weren't for the cell phone. That said, she's an uncaring idiot. If someone had hit her head on or she slammed on the brakes that poor baby would have had it's skull crushed. So much for breastfeeding for the health of the baby.
My concern is what she might have done to other drivers had the baby bit her for example, a not uncommon event as any mother could testify.

She belongs in jail.

I have seen morons going down the road with little dogs in their laps. Equally criminal.

Driving is a serious business and one in which I have a real personal interest since some guy too old to be allowed to drive t-boned me and slammed me into oncoming traffic a few years ago.

All these people should lose their licenses, and if caught driving without them should go to jail.

Ha
Old 02-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There should be a law against idiots having babies.........or at least make them get a child bearing license.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #16

It is hard to believe that someone could be so ignorant about child safety. However, when she says that she might do it again, I say put her in jail and let her think about it!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
It is hard to believe that someone could be so ignorant about child safety. However, when she says that she might do it again, I say put her in jail and let her think about it!
Again, if people want to endanger thier own children, that's God's business. And Mr. Darwin's. But when they endanger other moroists that is the law's business. Put her away, and take her license for 5 years minimum.

Ha
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Oh I don't know about that Ha

Need to keep this for those "hair on fire" situations - thanks for the pic - wild - looks like the annual 'gender' diversity parade in San Fran or 'the city' as they call it there.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #19
Administrator

An interesting item in slate on this
Quote:
Suckling While Driving

Posted Monday, March 02, 2009 7:53 AM | By William Saletan

What's dumber than driving while talking on a cell phone? Driving while talking on a cell phone and breast-feeding a baby. Genine Compton of Kettering, Ohio, come on down! You're the next contestant on "I used my child as a human air bag."
According to local police, Ms. Compton admitted to this feat of triple-tasking on Thursday. Here's the Dayton Daily News transcript of a fellow driver's call to the authorities:
I tried to say something to her. She literally has the little girl on the steering wheel and I said, "I can't believe you have that kid in your lap," and she said, "You want to pop your titty out and breastfeed this kid?" That's what she said to me. I'm like, "You can feed your kid when you stop." It's like wet out here. It's full of traffic. It's ridiculous. She's got like three other kids in the car.
.../...

And that doesn't just go for the lady breast-feeding at the wheel. It goes for the child-safety enthusiast who reports her. Nobody seems to have flagged this bit from the Daily News story:
"I'm following right behind her right now on Far Hills Avenue," the caller said as he spoke to a Kettering dispatcher in a recording of his non-emergency call that was released by police. ...
You're following right behind her? While talking on your phone? So you can report her for multitasking at the wheel? Hello?
If you see somebody driving while distracted, feel free to report the culprit. But first, practice what you preach: Pull over.
Human Nature
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #20

One of the reasons I try to buy cars with really good safety ratings. That and I have a car addiction, but safety thing sounds better...
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote