Join Early Retirement Today

Census
Old 05-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Census

I got the US census in the mail - anyone else?

It wasn't a paper census but rather a directive to go to census.gov and fill it out online. I don't recall the census being so intrusive the last time I did one. Well actually, the first one was on paper when I was about 22, then one by a census taker at the door.

Have they always asked questions about utility bills, Internet, investment income, do I have a mortgage, age of dwelling, a cell phone, time it takes to get to work, employer, welfare, disability, marital status along with the questions I remember like people in household, race, age, number of rooms?

tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I got the US census in the mail - anyone else?
Not recently, but I got what appears to be the same questions a few months ago. I kept looking for the NYDB response option...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't think it was time for it, and didn't get one. I was aware that a few people get the "long form".
Old 05-02-2017, 04:53 AM   #4
Administrator

There is an amazing wealth of data here in the US; as a tool, it is invaluable to investors, entrepreneurs, researchers, and policymakes. Census data is probably the most important contributor. We appreciate the time and effort you put into answering these questions.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:55 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We appreciate the time and effort you put into answering these questions.
I will confess I may have fudged a bit on the number of toilets IN the house...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the American Community survey (ACS). It's part of the Census Bureau, but only sent to a small percentage of the population.
You are still legally required to respond to it.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agree, it does sound like the ACS. We got one around 2007-2008 for the 2010 census. Invasive personal questions, up to and almost including your sex life, but you are required to return it, and they will nag you relentlessly until you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sounds like the American Community survey (ACS). It's part of the Census Bureau, but only sent to a small percentage of the population.
You are still legally required to respond to it.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #8

My address was selected for a multi-year repeat (2001-2011, I think), IRS questionnaire over crime. Most of the study was complete by the time I moved in. but for the first three years at my current residence, I did get lots of questions annually about my experiences, if any, with crime. Some of these questions were about sex and felt graphic.
One year, the census taker came to the door. I think the other two were by phone and mail.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #9

During Jan,Feb and Mar, we had countless attempts by a census worker who kept knocking at door(and leaving those tags), called on phone, and mailed pleading letters, pleading for us to answer questions about our health and our healthcare. Not happening.
Some of the time we were in FL, KY, NY and PA, and that's not any of their business either.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There is an amazing wealth of data here in the US; as a tool, it is invaluable to investors, entrepreneurs, researchers, and policymakes. Census data is probably the most important contributor. We appreciate the time and effort you put into answering these questions.
+1. When we want to see where we rank in a lot of areas, the data has to come from somewhere. It's not perfect, we know, at least as far as indoor toilets are concerned but it's what we got. I do pity the poor census taker who has to question us about some of these things and deal with compiling it
Old 05-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #11

Back in the 90s, we got selected to be part of a 2 year tracking of our economic situation. This is the data used for the monthly economic reports.

The first meeting was in person at our house, asking about our job and how much we made. Also a few other intrusive economic questions. After that, she would give us a call once per month and ask if our wage or job changed. Short and sweet.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Those people are called "enumerators." My Mother was a Census Enumerator for the 1970 census. I don't think she called anybody, but she had to knock on doors. Her assigned "area" was a fairly nice one (so she wasn't scared to go there). Many of the people who hadn't filled out their forms properly, were old and lonely and glad to talk to the nice lady from the Census. She had stories galore. I still remember the one about the man who had a bunch of pet monkeys, and talked to her with a little monkey sitting on his shoulder like a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
During Jan,Feb and Mar, we had countless attempts by a census worker who kept knocking at door(and leaving those tags), called on phone, and mailed pleading letters, pleading for us to answer questions about our health and our healthcare. Not happening.
Some of the time we were in FL, KY, NY and PA, and that's not any of their business either.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Those people are called "enumerators." My Mother was a Census Enumerator for the 1970 census. I don't think she called anybody, but she had to knock on doors. Her assigned "area" was a fairly nice one (so she wasn't scared to go there). Many of the people who hadn't filled out their forms properly, were old and lonely and glad to talk to the nice lady from the Census. She had stories galore. I still remember the one about the man who had a bunch of pet monkeys, and talked to her with a little monkey sitting on his shoulder like a cat.
Was there a check box for that?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #14
Administrator

I think I may have completed my last census return. We were living in England in 2011 for the last Census here and in future it appears that the government will save ~£482m by collecting its population data from existing sources. Data can be gathered from records held by the Post Office, local government and credit checking agencies - thought to be more effective.
Census
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #15

Census

ACS. I must have overlooked American Community Survey on the letter (and I've thrown it out) but acs was part of the web address. Thanks for the answer.

I did complete the survey. How are people selected? They obviously knew I have internet already so it hardly felt random. My middle, working class neighborhood has turned into a poor, barely making ends meet neighborhood with quite a few foreclosed houses. I don't feel like I did my "community" any favors filing out that census.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

That is what they are looking for...change over time. Our very affluent area used to be farms and working class. Used to be Euro-Caucasian; now it's 20% Asian.

There's a 20-page ACS guide https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...tion_Guide.pdf - this is from the intro: ACS is a nationwide survey that collects and produces information on demographic, social, economic and housing characterists about our nation's population every year. This information provides an important tool for communities to use to see how they are changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
A

I did complete the survey. How are people selected? They obviously knew I have internet already so it hardly felt random. My middle, working class neighborhood has turned into a poor, barely making ends meet neighborhood with quite a few foreclosed houses. I don't feel like I did my "community" any favors filing out that census.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

"Non-human residents of your household"? No, but there should be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Was there a check box for that?

-ERD50