Join Early Retirement Today

CFLs
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CFLs

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs : ENERGY STAR

Quote:
<H4>ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs:
Quote:
  • ENERGY STAR qualified bulbs use about 75 percent less energy than standard incandescent bulbs and last up to 10 times longer.
  • Save about $30 or more in electricity costs over each bulb's lifetime.
  • Produce about 75 percent less heat, so they're safer to operate and can cut energy costs associated with home cooling.
  • Are available in different sizes and shapes to fit in almost any fixture, for indoors and outdoors.
</H4>
I have converted about 75% of my home with CFL bulbs. I have been replacing the older incandescent type bulb with these guys over the last 5 years or so. I have never had to replace a CFL bulb yet as they say that they should last 5-10 years each.

My local electric company is currently providing a $4.00 off in-store coupon if you purchase a 4 pack. A 4pack retails for $9.99 ($2.50 each), but with the 40% off coupon my cost per item is reduced to $1.50 each! I loaded up today with several packs. Check and see if your local utility is also offering it.

Even w/o the 40% discount, these are a good buy. Is anyone else here using these oddly shaped guys? What has been your experience with them?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Is anyone else here using these oddly shaped guys? What has been your experience with them?
What odd shape are you referring to? The skinny "U" shape or the twisted pair that mimic the profile of an incandescent bulb?

We actually had a CFL burn out a few months ago, but it was a SDG&E freebie that had been through two moves since 1996. It owed us nothing, and SDG&E gave us two of those bulbs so now we're using another 11-year-old bulb in the fixture.

We've put CFLs in just about every fixture in the house. We started with the lights that are on for at least an hour or two a day but we've also put CFLs in the rooms that get hot during the summer. We even spent extra money on CFLs inside glass globes for the light bars over our bathroom sinks-- much less heat production and much more habitable.

Spouse is really looking forward to mainstream LEDs...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What odd shape are you referring to?
I am refering to the "mini-spiral or twist" as they refer to it in the link.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 10-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i've been replacing incandescents with cfl's as the old bulbs die and my edison stash runs out. i recently tried using three 100-effective-watters which i need to light up the tiffany reproduction in the kitchen but they were annoyingly noisy.

i haven't had any noise problem with the 60 watters. is the noise a common problem to this product or did i just happen upon bad bulbs?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #5

I've got em all over. The local elec company recently partnered with home depot and they are currently offering a deal where $3 gets you 4 60 watt equivalent CFL's (NVision brand I think). I picked up two more packs, since a few have burnt out, and our oldest ones are approaching 9-10 years I think.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

About 70 - 80 % of the house by now - Wal Mart and Lowes have periodic sales. No coupons - that I have stumbled across yet though.

60 watters mostly.

heh heh heh
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #7

We have them in every fixture in the house Love em. We did have some issues with some CFLs that were a 'generic' brand in that they took a good 30 seconds to a minute to warm up. However, the sylania/GE brands seem to do much better.
The short warm-up time isn't as bad as it used to be, I think we are just getting accustomed to it.
Oops, one fixture we have an old fashioned bulb in is the motion sensitive floodlight outside.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use 'em everywhere inside except with dimmer switch or in closets, furnace room etc. The new ones sure are an improvement over the early ones that flickered and buzzed.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW refused to have any of them in her house, something about the harshness of the lighting. So I put some in the stairwell going to the basement, and slipped one into a downlight in the hallway between two incandescent lights. My reasoning was to see whether she would notice any difference in the down light. I was careful to choose a low temperature bulb that had exactly the same bulb profile around it. That was six months ago, and she hasn't noticed it yet.

My next step is to begin replacing existing downlights, and there are many, all through the house one at a time when she's not at home. One day when the subject comes up again, but NOT from me, I may mention that it's funny she doesn't like them since the house is full of them. Nah, I think I'll just let it be my little secret.

By the way, I had two of those spiral types go out in the basement stairwell within a few months. My conclusion: do not scrimp on your CFL purchases, buy good quality bulbs from a reputable manufacturer.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We can get them for 75 cents/bulb at sales around here. They are very good, but I've had some burn out.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My first purchase of them were not good.. bought a 7 pack from SAMs and 6 of them were burnt out in less than a year.. the 7th is still in my mom's kitchen 5 years later...

My second batch have turned very yellow... one of them did start having a noise and got thrown out... one burnt out in two years. Two still going.

My third purchase was a single bulb... it is a 'sunlight' bulb and is very white, but looks a little strange...
Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My experience has been pretty poor with these. They may last 3 years on average if some of them go 10 years to make up for the 30-40% of mine that have not lasted a year. They do also go dim and yellow after about 2-3 years, and the quality of light can vary even within a pack. Every couple years I will buy a few packs wondering if they've finally got the bugs worked out, but my last purchase a few months ago has soured me again.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

CFLs, like all fluorescent lamps contain small amounts of mercury and it is a concern for landfills and waste incinerators where the mercury from lamps may be released and contribute to air and water pollution.

Any idea how to dispose of them when they die?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
use 'em everywhere inside except with dimmer switch
I understand that they now have a special CFL bulb that works on dimmer lights.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun99 View Post
CFLs, like all fluorescent lamps contain small amounts of mercury and it is a concern for landfills and waste incinerators where the mercury from lamps may be released and contribute to air and water pollution.

Any idea how to dispose of them when they die?
Our local county has a hazardous waste disposal site where you can go drop it off. I believe it's now illegal to dispose of old batteries (not just rechargeable, but also alkalines), so I just throw everything into a shoebox and take it down there once every few months.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #16

Ace Hardware here (Dublin, OH) has the CFL that work with dimmer switches. The look the same except the package says something like "works with dimmers". Don't recommend Ace as source (too high priced) only for the fact they did have dimmer capable ones.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I use them, but have had several burn out already. So much for lasting 7 years! Still, the price on sale has become well worth it.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I understand that they now have a special CFL bulb that works on dimmer lights.

Yes, but I haven't found a reasonably priced dimmable CFL yet.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I found out quickly that the really inexpensive ones are poor quality, and fail very quickly. I bought a bunch of them at Lowe's because they were about $1.50 apiece, but most had failed within 60 days. Name brand ones (read more expensive) such as Sylvania are still going after a year. At first I thought it was because the cheap ones were made in China, but the Sylvania ones are made there too!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I've put a few in lights that would stay on awhile. I don't believe they are very good in lights you'll only have on for a few minutes because of the power draw when they come on. Reducing heat in close quarters is another good place to put them. I worry about the talk that traditional bulbs will someday be banned because there are places those are more appropriate.

My ideal spot was my living room where I have two wall sconces, with an up light and a down light each. I turn those lights on from dark til bed time. I put one in and it worked fine, though the light wasn't as soft as I'd have liked. Put the other 3 in, and all 4 just get a weak flicker and never come on. Why would this be? Is the fixture not giving enough power?

For disposal, if you just don't have anywhere to dispose of them I've heard to wrap them in a plastic bag so any breakage is contained.