Join Early Retirement Today

Champagne? Brands/recomendations
Old 12-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Champagne? Brands/recomendations

So what are we drinking? Can taste the difference between Moet White Star and Andre - could probably even tell the difference between Dom Perignon and White Star, but don't think i'd get $80 more joy out of it. Anyone impressed with the Costco house brand - the Kirkland champagne? I tried it, but don't remember it.... It is to be noted that the Kirkland label on the bottle probably won't help one pick up chicks... Recommendations for a great champagne at a decent price? Anything too spendy better wash my car and kiss me in the morning...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Try Ballatore. BevMo - Ballatore Gran Spumante

It's a little on the sweet side but the price is right.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tried the Costco brand - it was OK - like the Chandon Blanc de Blanc - don't know if they make anymore - also Etoile by Chandon. Best, however, was champagne we imported ourselves from Epernay - cost was amazing (12 Euro a bottle) and taste was amazing - can't do that now :-( All are more on the dry side - don't like sweet too much. Husband just brought home Schaumsburg Blanc de Blanc ($32) and Chandon Brut ($17). We'll see how they taste soon.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Best bang for the buck: Piper Sonoma.

Better than Piper Sonoma for a bit more money: Piper Heidsieck

Kirkland champagne is decent, but gosh for $30 I'd like a real label on the bottle and I'd just buy the P-H for about the same price. Its made by these folks:
Champagne de Bruyne
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, and if you're making a punch or champagne ice or something like that and just need a good volume of sparkling wine that isnt that horrifying, the Cooks 1.5L bottle from Costco or Sams Club for <$6.00 works. Not all Costco's or Sam's sells them though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Administrator

We usually spring for a bottle of Veuve Cliquot for our New Years brunch. It is the only time we drink champagne. If we were making mimosa's though, I would get something cheaper.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My personal favourite (when I can find it), is Ruinart. Mumm's Cordon Rouge is widely available and priceworthy.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For parties I use Korbel. It is decent for the price and tastes like fine.

We also enjoy a very fruity one from Andre. Strawberry. I got my first taste of Strawberry champagne in a nice German restaurant in Milwaukee. They had it made for them in California. Good stuff if you like something bubbly but different. The chicks love the stuff.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want to appear worldly, instead of cheap, you can get a bottle of italian sparkling wine called Prosecco. It is pretty dirt cheap in comparison to Veuve, and tasty.

And I think Asti Spumante is set for a comeback, soon enough Add some pureed peach, and enjoy a bellini!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a fan of Perrier-Jouet the flower bottle is quite nice looking too.