Champagne? Brands/recomendations

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So what are we drinking? Can taste the difference between Moet White Star and Andre - could probably even tell the difference between Dom Perignon and White Star, but don't think i'd get $80 more joy out of it. Anyone impressed with the Costco house brand - the Kirkland champagne? I tried it, but don't remember it...:). It is to be noted that the Kirkland label on the bottle probably won't help one pick up chicks... Recommendations for a great champagne at a decent price? Anything too spendy better wash my car and kiss me in the morning...

Tried the Costco brand - it was OK - like the Chandon Blanc de Blanc - don't know if they make anymore - also Etoile by Chandon. Best, however, was champagne we imported ourselves from Epernay - cost was amazing (12 Euro a bottle) and taste was amazing - can't do that now :-( All are more on the dry side - don't like sweet too much. Husband just brought home Schaumsburg Blanc de Blanc ($32) and Chandon Brut ($17). We'll see how they taste soon.

Best bang for the buck: Piper Sonoma.

Better than Piper Sonoma for a bit more money: Piper Heidsieck

Kirkland champagne is decent, but gosh for $30 I'd like a real label on the bottle and I'd just buy the P-H for about the same price. Its made by these folks:
Champagne de Bruyne

Oh yeah, and if you're making a punch or champagne ice or something like that and just need a good volume of sparkling wine that isnt that horrifying, the Cooks 1.5L bottle from Costco or Sams Club for <$6.00 works. Not all Costco's or Sam's sells them though.

We usually spring for a bottle of Veuve Cliquot for our New Years brunch. It is the only time we drink champagne. If we were making mimosa's though, I would get something cheaper.

My personal favourite (when I can find it), is Ruinart. Mumm's Cordon Rouge is widely available and priceworthy.:cool:

For parties I use Korbel. It is decent for the price and tastes like fine.

We also enjoy a very fruity one from Andre. Strawberry. I got my first taste of Strawberry champagne in a nice German restaurant in Milwaukee. They had it made for them in California. Good stuff if you like something bubbly but different. The chicks love the stuff. :D

If you want to appear worldly, instead of cheap, you can get a bottle of italian sparkling wine called Prosecco. It is pretty dirt cheap in comparison to Veuve, and tasty.

And I think Asti Spumante is set for a comeback, soon enough :) Add some pureed peach, and enjoy a bellini!

I am a fan of Perrier-Jouet the flower bottle is quite nice looking too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom