Change in ER plans

dm

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was planning on ER in May of this year at 47. I started this plan in ernest around 4 yrs ago. I was getting fed up with working day and night plus some saturdays thrown in.

I went to the boss with some ideas I didn't think he would go for. I wanted to promote 2 guys to split up some of the work I am responsible for and hire some additional people. I told him I didn't want to work anymore night's or weekends. Well he went for it. I bumped two guys up and Im hireing 2 or 3 more.

At least Im going to give this a try for this year. Ive been putting in 50-60 hr work weeks for years. 40 is going to feel like part time. Ive got two kids in college so it would probably be more prudent to wait till they got out since Im footing the bill.

If nothing else being able or close to ER is very empowering. I mean what can the company do? Fire me. Who cares.

I plan on taking golf back up. I use to love to play. Now im going to make time. Hopefully I can hook up with some golf buddies so when I do ER I can have more hobies set up.

. . . If nothing else being able or close to ER is very empowering.  I mean what can the company do? Fire me.  Who cares.  . .

I remember feeling the same way. I found that as soon as I was in a position to retire, work stress decreased considerably. Things didn't bother me quite as much when I knew I held that power. But eventually, the power was too great to keep secret. I had to quit. :D :D

I always had the power to quit (I owned the company).
What has "empowered" me lately is the nearness
of SS. Someone with a big pile might say "Ho hum!"
In my case, it will make all the difference.

JG

Back
Top Bottom