Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I received the exact same response, signed "Terry", and am curious as to what would drive Yahoo to to this - no indication on their part.

No luck yet finding a replacement with similar functionality.
Don't know about the alphabetizing of stock symbols, but I'd guess the reason behind allowing only one portfolio expanded at a time is to force open more real estate for ads...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would have thought everyone has a gmail account by now, and would look into using iGoogle.

I use my android smartphone more each day. In that environment you un-bundle all the junk from your portal page.

On PC, google.com search is my home page. You could start with http://www.google.com/finance instead.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I would have thought everyone has a gmail account by now, and would look into using iGoogle.
Since they announced it is going away next year, no thanks...

Don't take my iGoogle away! | ZDNet
Old 07-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yahoo did go through a similar thing with their bookmarks (links) for My Yahoo. They changed so that they were editable only via the Yahoo Toolbar. I ended up installing a different browser with that toolbar just to edit my bookmarks. They finally did get around to restoring full editing capability without the toolbar, within about a year.

These seem like other totally inexplicable customer antagonizing changes like Netflix, Apple, banks ($5 debit fee) and a few others have been implementing lately. They need to work on their customer relations.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
gone traveling

I used to use my.yahoo. At the urging of my 2 tech-savy kids, I switched to Google. A side benefit is Google interfaces so smoothly with Droid smart phones...and the have this new Nexus 7 tablet coming out too. Google is slick.
CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since they announced it is going away next year, no thanks...

Don't take my iGoogle away! | ZDNet
I can understand why regular users would not want to lose the home page.

For Google, they want to move you to the Chrome browser, so that you don't use the other browsers to access the home page. They could very well lose many users of the free email accounts. From time to time every large tech company seems to shoot first, and ask questions later.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #27

Quote:
From time to time every large tech company seems to shoot first, and ask questions later.
+1

As much shooting as they do you have to wonder why they keep aiming at their feet...
Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
I can understand why regular users would not want to lose the home page.

For Google, they want to move you to the Chrome browser, so that you don't use the other browsers to access the home page. They could very well lose many users of the free email accounts. From time to time every large tech company seems to shoot first, and ask questions later.
The Google Chrome browser is fast and memory efficient, and it is designed to directly interface with the various other Google products. What's wrong with that? Like I said previously, the whole product suite (including the Android phones) work so well together.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHorne View Post
The Google Chrome browser is fast and memory efficient, and it is designed to directly interface with the various other Google products. What's wrong with that? Like I said previously, the whole product suite (including the Android phones) work so well together.
What's wrong with that? You can't block ads as well as in Firefox.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
Me too
Me too. My entire set of holdings used to display in MY desired order, now it is suddenly alphabetical by symbol. Which means it is a royal pain to update my spreadsheet. Funny how on the customization page it is STILL in my desired order, it just doesn't display that way.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:09 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post
Me too. My entire set of holdings used to display in MY desired order, now it is suddenly alphabetical by symbol. Which means it is a royal pain to update my spreadsheet. Funny how on the customization page it is STILL in my desired order, it just doesn't display that way.
I make use of GETQUOTE (GetQuote: About) to grab quotes for my spreadsheet and it works well. I have cells with a formula such as =IF($A$6="Fetch",GETQUOTE(B4),"") where B4 contains the fund symbol and $A$6 controls whether the quote is fetched at all. I then do a Paste Special of the fetched quotes to a different area in my spreadsheet and change $A$6 back to "Don't Fetch" so when I open the spreadsheet next time it does not try grabbing quotes and therefore delay the opening of the spreadsheet.

As for Yahoo, it you click on your portfolio name then the browser goes to the portfolio page which lists your funds in your desired order. I had to reorder mine but the order sticks.

I tried google finance but it fails to return the correct fund for VXUS. It returns Vanguard STAR Funds Inc (VGSTX) instead of Vanguard Total Intl Stock Idx ETF. I sent them a notice of the error several days ago but have not heard back.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #32
gone traveling

I just came upon this thread and checked my various portfolios on Yahoo.

They don't have the problems (I think) that others observe.

I have them in the sequence I want, which I changed around using the edit function. I also unchecked the block "Sort positions alphabetically by symbol" under "Advanced Settings". Also, click on the "More Details" (underlined link) to see how option changes can be used to control your display as you wish.

BTW, I also have $$ entries to break down my subgroups within the same display, for things such as listing rollover IRA, TIRA, and Roth IRA's, but allowing an overall total for the entire portfolio.

Also, I applied all changes on the "Performance" tab that I use for my display.

Just a bit of input what I have found while working with the new format.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
What's wrong with that? You can't block ads as well as in Firefox.
May have been true at one time, I don't know, but it is easy to block ads in Chrome. Read this: How to Block Ads in Google Chrome

Don't be so set in your ways that you are clinging to old solutions and turning your back on the best technology available...and for free.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't know about the alphabetizing of stock symbols, but I'd guess the reason behind allowing only one portfolio expanded at a time is to force open more real estate for ads...
I've noticed now a similar issue with the movie / theaters section. It previously displayed all the films and showtimes playing in the theaters I selected, now it is another closed button that needs to be opened. You may be correct, they are freeing screen space to display more ads. There ain't no such thing as free...

The discussion Google is interesting but "new technology" isn't helpful if it doesn't deliver the functionality we need, regardless of how cool it is.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHorne View Post
May have been true at one time, I don't know, but it is easy to block ads in Chrome. Read this: How to Block Ads in Google Chrome

Don't be so set in your ways that you are clinging to old solutions and turning your back on the best technology available...and for free.
Adblock Plus. Sure and simple.

I don't accept your admonishment either. I use three browsers since I support all types of technical environments, and many types of users. Chrome is not the best technology. It's one of several browsers, and is useful in some situations, but less useful in other situations.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've noticed now a similar issue with the movie / theaters section. It previously displayed all the films and showtimes playing in the theaters I selected, now it is another closed button that needs to be opened. You may be correct, they are freeing screen space to display more ads. There ain't no such thing as free...

The discussion Google is interesting but "new technology" isn't helpful if it doesn't deliver the functionality we need, regardless of how cool it is.
I think your post gets to the heart of the matter. I want certain functions, no matter if I use a tablet, pc, smartphone, or a flexible display on my arm. The technologies at war with each other are not always focused on supplying the functions I need. Fortunately, when megacorp drops the ball, others rush in with better solutions. One of Yahoo's strengths is the financial data and various ways you can customize data display with their tools.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper View Post

I tried google finance but it fails to return the correct fund for VXUS. It returns Vanguard STAR Funds Inc (VGSTX) instead of Vanguard Total Intl Stock Idx ETF. I sent them a notice of the error several days ago but have not heard back.
I tried the symbol in google finance and it seems to return the correct NAV for VXUS. Tried it in an online doc, and seems to work there also.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...You may be correct, they are freeing screen space to display more ads. There ain't no such thing as free...
I use My Yahoo but don't pay attention to the left side with the stock listings. For that I go to Yahoo Finance where you can set up the top of the screen for a set of quotes of interest. Then, of course, you can create your own portfolios and display in any order. No ads with Firefox + adblock. Below is a partial screen shot of how I've got my Yahoo Finance page set up, FWIW:

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I just came upon this thread and checked my various portfolios on Yahoo.

They don't have the problems (I think) that others observe.

I have them in the sequence I want, which I changed around using the edit function. I also unchecked the block "Sort positions alphabetically by symbol" under "Advanced Settings". Also, click on the "More Details" (underlined link) to see how option changes can be used to control your display as you wish.

BTW, I also have $$ entries to break down my subgroups within the same display, for things such as listing rollover IRA, TIRA, and Roth IRA's, but allowing an overall total for the entire portfolio.

Also, I applied all changes on the "Performance" tab that I use for my display.

Just a bit of input what I have found while working with the new format.

Are you looking at them on the home page I do not think they made changes on the Finance section....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The other problem that I have with the change is that the DJIA has now gone to the bottom instead of being at the top....

I do have it in another section, Market Summary, but why move it from the top? I would think most people would want an index at the top.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote