Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The other problem that I have with the change is that the DJIA has now gone to the bottom instead of being at the top....

I do have it in another section, Market Summary, but why move it from the top? I would think most people would want an index at the top.
I think you can drag and drop the different boxes to wherever you want them (and you can delete most of them)? I put the three I wanted at the top, so the advertising box is below them and I don't see the ad box on the top half of the standard Yahoo home page (I can only see half the page on my notebook computer, so I would have to scroll to see the ads. Of course I don't ).

My custom Yahoo home page is the same as it was before.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Adblock Plus. Sure and simple.

I don't accept your admonishment either. I use three browsers since I support all types of technical environments, and many types of users. Chrome is not the best technology. It's one of several browsers, and is useful in some situations, but less useful in other situations.
My apologies. My remarks were not intended as an admonishment to anyone. Let me try to clarify my comments.

This thread was a request for alternatives to Yahoo. My own experience was that I used Yahoo for a long, long time...decades...and due to my own lack of initiative, I didn't investigate or understand other approaches. If you have done that, and determined through comparative analysis that Yahoo meets your needs the best, then kudos to you. But some on here may be like me...and it took my kids to wake me up to the technological advantages of Google...and that is primarily integration.

Bemoaning the pending loss of iGoogle (the Google "home page") demonstrates a lack of understanding of how Google works and where Google is going. Aside from being a fast and memory efficient browser, Chrome (the Google browser) is effectively taking the place of the Google home page. The financial news stories are presented under Google Reader. Gmail, Google Finance, Google Play, Google Maps, etc. are all integrated into the Chrome browser. This is elegant, but the way it integrates with the Android phones and Nexus tablet is equally elegant.

To those who say Google Finance doesn't do what you need it to, have you really looked at it? There is probably a way to get the information you use. It is a different tool, and it is not going to work exactly the way Yahoo does.

If you buy a new...anything...digital TV, new car, new phone...it is not going to work exactly the way the old one worked...so are you going to say....damn...I wish I had my old whatever back because the features work differently?

This is my last post on the subject of Google. The thread was a requestfor alternatives to Yahoo. I have explained the advantages as well as I can, which is probably not well enough.

Sorry for an offense taken. None was intended.
CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I tried the symbol in google finance and it seems to return the correct NAV for VXUS. Tried it in an online doc, and seems to work there also.
Interesting. I compared the NAV with Yahoo's and they matched so the only thing broken is the fund's name is not displayed correctly. That's good enough for me. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think you can drag and drop the different boxes to wherever you want them (and you can delete most of them)? I put the three I wanted at the top, so the advertising box is below them and I don't see the ad box on the top half of the standard Yahoo home page (I can only see half the page on my notebook computer, so I would have to scroll to see the ads. Of course I don't ).

My custom Yahoo home page is the same as it was before.

It is not the boxes that I was referring to.... it is the stock symbols inside a portfolio... Here is an example... the DJIA is at the bottom of the list.

VMW
84.64-0.74-0.87%
WCG
64.61-0.74-1.13%
XOM
84.89-0.58-0.68%
ZSL
68.21+0.10+0.15%
DJIA
12,692.78-84.31-0.66%
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Are you looking at them on the home page I do not think they made changes on the Finance section....
I have the "My Portfolios" displayed on the home page for the three that I set up (DW, mine, and "ours"). They show the daily change in value and %. If you want more detail, just double click the portfolio name.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #46

As of this morning, it appears they listened to the complaints.
Portfolios on my Yahoo home page are displayed as I want them again.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As of this morning, it appears they listened to the complaints.
Portfolios on my Yahoo home page are displayed as I want them again.
+1

Thanks for pointing that out. Mine were all closed so I ignored them but after seeing your post I went back, opened each, they all remained open and in the sequence I originally made. Closed the browser, reopened it, there they were. Good for Yahoo. Hope they keep it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The new CEO seems to have hit the ground running.

Longtime Google Exec Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo’s New CEO | TechCrunch

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The new CEO seems to have hit the ground running.

Longtime Google Exec Marissa Mayer Is Yahoo’s New CEO | TechCrunch

I think it is too early in her time at Yahoo to give her the credit for this change... we will see how things progress.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Glad that they put the user defined order back in place.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #51
Administrator

Looks like they've done it again.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Something else I just discovered about the new Yahoo finance. Dow Industrial historical data goes back only to 1985 now, not 1928 or 1899 or whatever the old look-back was. Erasing unpleasant history...? The S&P 500 still looks-back to 1950 though
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #53

Yahoo makes frequent changes which annoys me. It's a sure sign that they have too many engineers whose job is to "improve" their product.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Yahoo makes frequent changes which annoys me. It's a sure sign that they have too many engineers whose job is to "improve" their product.
I'm waiting for when Yahoo changes their look to be like USA Today with all the tiles.

Oh, I was just being sarcastic as I hate the USA Today look.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I was amazed at how bad the new interface seems. Plain ugly...
I changed the theme and found all the text boxes are transparent, so can't read anything. Switched back to plain brown.
I'll stick with Google search box as my home page.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #56

Since I use Yahoo email I decided to just switch back to the "off the rack" Yahoo page and not use the MyYahoo thing. (At least until they "fix" it again)
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #57

The quotes/portfolio changes are very problematic. No longer have daily and cumulative changes on the my yahoo page - and if you go to the portfolio page, you can only see cumulative change, not daily change. I have several brokerages - so this was a quick way to see if it was a "good" or "bad" day, without going to several websites.

The CEO of Yahoo claims to be all about user interface. So far all the changes manage to REMOVE features. I'm moderator for 3 yahoo groups - and lost the ability to remove members with their latest changes. On the yahoo help forums there's lots of kvetching about the changes.

I'm not sure what Mayer is hoping to accomplish, but I'm getting ready to pull the plug.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Is anyone else having trouble with the web interface to their groups. When I hit page down, it skips over some posts.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #59
Administrator

Well, now Yahoo has a new portfolio tracking service. https://finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/ytos

Quote:
All your investment accounts in one place, in real time
If I'm not reading it wrong, all one needs to do, via third party site SigFig, is give broker account access info. What could possible go wrong with that?

Hopefully I've missed something important.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, now Yahoo has a new portfolio tracking service. https://finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/ytos

If I'm not reading it wrong, all one needs to do, via third party site SigFig, is give broker account access info. What could possible go wrong with that?

Hopefully I've missed something important.
Yeah, I saw that. Blueprint for disaster - no thanks.