Join Early Retirement Today

Changes to "My Yahoo", looking for alternatives
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Administrator

Changes to "My Yahoo", looking for alternatives

I have used “My Yahoo” as a browser home page for many years, primarily because the news and finance pages were very easy to customize, allowing me to set up and track different data groups. Yahoo just introduced changes which limit how the financial data is displayed, so this is a good time to look for other options. What home pages do other members use? Can anyone recommend another web site that displays financial information such as stock and fund prices, indexes, and gives users flexibility to customize how it is displayed?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Very timely Michael!

I'm in the same boat. I've used Yahoo for my home page for years, don't like the changes and interested in finding a good alternative.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
Me too three.
FIFY
Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Me four. Add me to the list of people looking for another alternative. I used to have the list sorted by stocks I was watching versus stocks I owned. Then they alphabetized everything so the two lists got intermingled.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use the Yahoo data downloaded automatically into a spreadsheet that updates on opening and every 2 minutes after that. Yahoo has been pretty flakey, but it's still working OK for me. The spreadsheet just looks up the symbols in the downloaded data table, so the order is not a problem.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

google
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use Yahoo as my home page. I don't use the fianance section to do any tracking.

For keeping track of the market, I use something called "MarketBrowser" that rests along the system tray. There is a registration requirement for 'MarketBrowser" and occassionaly I get a pop-up, but I like the interface. For example, for the Dow I can quickly glance at the system tray and it shows an arrow up or down and percentage up or down.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

I use IGoogle and it too will be going away in about 18 months but I expect it will be replaced with a more than adequate alternative. I really like Google Reader for tracking news items. That is how I get all the posting from this site. They go to my Reader and not my inbox. I can read a short summary and decide if I want to open up the entire post.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

For me, the function of a home page is to

(1) show that I am connected to the internet and
(2) to do that very reliably and fast.

I use cnn.com because it never seems to go down. I don't even like that page, but I am seldom there for long enough to read the headlines. If it does not come up, I know for sure that I have a connection problem.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

I'm another one who is annoyed by the changes to the My Yahoo home page.

Funny, I was just reading something this morning that used the expression "back in the days of Internet portals."

Made me feel like even more of a geezer than I am.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #12

Scratches head. What changes? I also use My Yahoo as my home page but I am never on that page long enough to notice changes. Must be doing it wrong.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #13

Another IGoogle user my front page has gmail, stock quotes, rare bird alerts, local news, weather. I didn't know it was going away.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I sent feedback to them a couple of days ago saying that my portfolio was alphabetical and I didn't have the alphabetical option set. I also noted that it was now useless to me in its current form. I have not received any response.

I have since added the funds I'm interested in tracking to the google finance page.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Another IGoogle user my front page has gmail, stock quotes, rare bird alerts, local news, weather. I didn't know it was going away.
Yes, it is right there on the page....I am not happy about it. I like having those types of things all in one place and have links right there to gmail, gdrive, google calendar. I like having a quick place to look at a collection of news (rather than just what one website has to say). Hoping they will reconsider....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Me four. Add me to the list of people looking for another alternative. I used to have the list sorted by stocks I was watching versus stocks I owned. Then they alphabetized everything so the two lists got intermingled.
You can list more than one portfolio on the home page, which would keep them separate.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I sent feedback to them a couple of days ago saying that my portfolio was alphabetical and I didn't have the alphabetical option set. I also noted that it was now useless to me in its current form. I have not received any response.
Here's the response someone else received (basically "Too bad, this is it."):

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Finance.

I understand you are experiencing one or both of the following issues with your Yahoo! Finance account.

1. Symbols in portfolios are sorted alphabetically.
2. Only one portfolio can be expanded at a time; the other portfolios are collapsed.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and have some information to share with you.

The following changes were made to the Stock Portfolio module on My Yahoo!:

Portfolios are now sorted alphabetically instead of the order you may have chosen on Yahoo! Finance. If you want to see your portfolios in that order, please view them on Yahoo! Finance.
Only one portfolio can be expanded on My Yahoo! at a time (the others collapse when one is expanded)--a change from the previous way of being able to see many at a time. We do not currently have an alternate option for this feature.

We again apologize for any inconvenience this change may have caused and appreciate any feedback you may want to provide. Please provide feedback here:

Send Feedback

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Finance.

Regards,

Ryan

Yahoo! Customer Care
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Administrator

I received the exact same response, signed "Terry", and am curious as to what would drive Yahoo to to this - no indication on their part.

No luck yet finding a replacement with similar functionality.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
google
Switched to Google a while back (after having used My Yahoo for years).
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Also a loyal Yahoo home page user. Will follow for any consistent choice for portfolio tracking that remains open.