Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Charitable Donations
Old 02-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm nowhere near FIRE yet, but we give about 10% of our net (after taxes and 401k) to our church that we attend regularly. It's around 150 members, so I'm sure every bit counts.
The 10% isn't a mandated thing, nor is it to "save my soul."
However, it's a pretty good guideline for where we're at.

It's good to give and keeps me from becoming TOO miserly.

I feel that most personal finance books and articles don't give giving the attention it deserves as it relates to the emotional benefits relative to pure financial numbers.

Of couse, as already mentioned, it's a trust thing. If I didn't trust where my money is going, then I'd find someplace else.
There seems to be no lack of choices.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
... Have met a lot of Heifer people and worked on their county fair booth and met all the local folks paid & volunteer and they seem like great folks to me. ... I have also met people who they have supported from Africa and rural parts of Asia. They have been around a while and any group that has has a history that will come out ... but I know of no such problems at Heifer. ... Its not hard to see who is being "productive". and, again Hefier looks good to me.
yakers, thanks for the feedback. That is certainly more info than I had on my own. I keep hoping they are as good as they look, and this helps to re-enforce that perception. Well, I'll keep giving to them, maybe make a tour someday or do some volunteering, until I hear something credible to the contrary.

Thanks -ERD50

Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
, maybe make a tour someday or do some volunteering,
Thanks -ERD50
I think the ER types here understand well how money works and how it can best be used. But even more important (IMHO) is giving your time and abilities. I would like a thread about not just finances but which charities folks here donate time and expertise to.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I think the ER types here understand well how money works and how it can best be used. But even more important (IMHO) is giving your time and abilities. I would like a thread about not just finances but which charities folks here donate time and expertise to.
Not in ER yet but DW and I have a list of volunteer work we want to do. In the meantime we are give cold hard cash when we can and DW does a LOT of volunteer time for several agencies as the sponser at her workplace.

Agencies we help so far:
Humane Society-$

United Way -time and $ (every $ does to the agency for real work since the promotional
aspects are covered by the various industries here)

Disabled Vets. $

Food Bank-goods, $ and time

Meals on Wheels-$ and Time

Homeless Shelter-$ and time serving meals

ARC- household goods donated for them to sell

Big Brothers/Big Sisters-donation household goods and $

American Cancer Society-$

American Heart Association-$

Jr. Diabetes- time and $

Boy Scouts, Shriners, Fire Dept., Police Funds etc. $

We have cut back on the number and are concentrating on giving more to those we support....it is a work in process.