Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
Yes as I mentioned above.
Reading comprehension is often mistaken & easily misunderstood meanings on the www/net. Glad you agree.

The NFL, not the individual teams, was a non-profit.
The NFL (administration) has even deeper pockets!
It's not like ''all involved'' didn't know.
C6/c3 All are TAX FREE, that's is the benchmark RB
https://www.501c3.org/nfl-drops-tax-exempt-status/
Best wishes....
We are not in agreement on much, if anything. I'll leave it at that.

To the OP, nobody is really keeping score if you need to take a year or two off of charitable giving. Make it up later if/when you can, if you feel that's right. Bill Gates was criticized for being stingy in his early years. I remember him stating that he felt the best strategy would be to focus on growing his wealth at that time, so that he would be able to do more when it came time to focus on charities. He lived up to those words.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I never completely stopped our charitable giving while we were getting out of debt. But we did pull back on it significantly. But as we paid off debt we increased our giving incrementally as each debt paid milestone was reached. The things we support with our giving, we feel are important enough to make it a priority. But as someone above said "Charity begins at home". If I keep digging a hole in my finances, eventually no one gets anything.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thought is if you do have to reduce monetarily, is there someway you can make up for it in other ways? Like give more of your time to the charity. We often have skilled jobs charities need so giving of my time quickly added up to lots of "free consulting $$$" which at least made me feel better about being light on the dollar amount.

It all depends on how "fluffy" ones budget is too, ie is there a vacation I can skip in order to still meet my charitable giving, delay a car or appliance purchase, etc. I don't mind sacrificing some comfort to give to causes I believe in. However if there isn't wiggle room, then reducing contributions is certainly ok and prioritizing giving is a good option.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
One thought is if you do have to reduce monetarily, is there someway you can make up for it in other ways? Like give more of your time to the charity. We often have skilled jobs charities need so giving of my time quickly added up to lots of "free consulting $$$" which at least made me feel better about being light on the dollar amount.

It all depends on how "fluffy" ones budget is too, ie is there a vacation I can skip in order to still meet my charitable giving, delay a car or appliance purchase, etc. I don't mind sacrificing some comfort to give to causes I believe in. However if there isn't wiggle room, then reducing contributions is certainly ok and prioritizing giving is a good option.
This helps, because we didn't really go anywhere this year, except for college visits in the area for the minion, and I used points for the hotel for that. We have cut back significantly on eating out, both by eating out less and choosing cheaper options, but as a two-income household we really depend on some of those time-saving indulgences.

You know, this is probably why I'm having trouble justifying pulling back at all on our charitable giving (although less so now) -- by doing the things and other cutbacks we had been well on our way to repaying the money we "borrowed" from our cash account. It feels like it won't take that long (maybe into early next year) to get back to where we were, but the cuts are starting to weigh on us. We finally felt like we were on track to the point where we could LBYM like we were middle class!