Join Early Retirement Today

Chattanooga recon mission ...
Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The villages proved to be a bust for us.. So we booked a trip near Chattanooga having read it is a good retirement location. Tax friendly (except for sales tax). Im think green mountains, trout streams, lakes etc. I believe we will look at the lakes region.

Any thoughts on were to go what to see? How to get a flavor of the area?

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The villages proved to be a bust for us..

Well, I can understand that, but why are you writing off the entire state of Florida?

Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #3

Not writing off all Florida.. the panhandle is still intriguing.. we are exploring options. One at a time.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

I'm eyeing that same area (or perhaps Knoxville) for my retirement relocation. I look forward to hearing the responses. You can certainly add southern friendliness, good internet, and reasonable cost of living to your list of reasons.

Here is a thread from a while back, where I asked for pros/cons about living in TN. I got a lot of good input and suggestions for places to check out.

Living in Tennessee? Pros and Cons?
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

I retired thirteen years ago and relocated from west central Ohio to the Chattanooga area to be close to grandchildren. I actually live just across the border in N. Georgia, lower sales tax (7%) as opposed to (9.25%) and at the time you could get more house for your dollar. Georgia also has income tax exemptions for most retirement income. I like the area and people, still get the change of seasons and I can golf pretty much year round. Downside can be traffic especially on the interstates (I-75/24 split and I-24 ridge cut) and if you have allergies the area can be a challenge. Also July and August can be brutal with heat and humidity. Plenty of activities to enjoy, world class aquarium, minor league BBall team, Riverbed festival, Hamilton Place Mall is wonderful and good restaurant galore. If you are into civil war history there is no better place, we also have Rock City, Ruby Falls and great golf courses. But don't take my word for it, come visit.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Not writing off all Florida.. the panhandle is still intriguing.. we are exploring options. One at a time.

Why was the Villages a bust for you?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I'm eyeing that same area (or perhaps Knoxville) for my retirement relocation. I look forward to hearing the responses. You can certainly add southern friendliness, good internet, and reasonable cost of living to your list of reasons.

Here is a thread from a while back, where I asked for pros/cons about living in TN. I got a lot of good input and suggestions for places to check out.

Living in Tennessee? Pros and Cons?
Check post #83 in the referenced link. Huntsville AL is very unique, a blend of hi-tech, modern city with Southern charm. Growing quickly but well planned growth and road system, four seasons. Much smaller than Chattanooga but about 100 miles from Chattanooga, Nashville, Birmingham. Lived there for 22 years before an elderly parent issue got me back to serious snow country of PA.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've looked over several areas of Tennessee for relocation or 2nd home possibilities recently. Our likes in order - Knoxville, Clarksville, Chattanooga, Murfreesbourough, and Nashville. Knoxville was favored, as it had a somewhat smaller town atmosphere, and surrounding areas offered something for everyone (hits a lot of your likes). All are very nice areas, but traffic and congestion are deterrents for us. Still looking elsewhere, as we've wintered in NW Florida for years and lived in Texas.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

You should be checking the city data forum. They have many folks over there posting about Tellico village in/near Loudon TN.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
Why was the Villages a bust for you?

1. Too congested
2. The neighborhood outside the villages is depressed
3. $100,000 extra for a pond (sump) view
4. Small lots for the money.. too close together
5. The goings on at the town center concerts seemed trashy

For some Im sure its paradise just not us..
Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
1. Too congested
2. The neighborhood outside the villages is depressed
3. $100,000 extra for a pond (sump) view
4. Small lots for the money.. too close together
5. The goings on at the town center concerts seemed trashy

For some Im sure its paradise just not us..

That's about what I figured.... A little too hard to get some 'alone' time.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I retired thirteen years ago and relocated from west central Ohio to the Chattanooga area to be close to grandchildren. I actually live just across the border in N. Georgia, lower sales tax (7%) as opposed to (9.25%) and at the time you could get more house for your dollar. Georgia also has income tax exemptions for most retirement income. I like the area and people, still get the change of seasons and I can golf pretty much year round. Downside can be traffic especially on the interstates (I-75/24 split and I-24 ridge cut) and if you have allergies the area can be a challenge. Also July and August can be brutal with heat and humidity. Plenty of activities to enjoy, world class aquarium, minor league BBall team, Riverbed festival, Hamilton Place Mall is wonderful and good restaurant galore. If you are into civil war history there is no better place, we also have Rock City, Ruby Falls and great golf courses. But don't take my word for it, come visit.
+1 above. I traveled to Chattanooga extensively on business and also took family on vacation several times. We love it there. If we had to relocate, Chattanooga would be on a very short list. No place is perfect. That mountain town comes close. The very accessible river front is the centerpiece of a beautiful town. You could do a lot worse.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
You should be checking the city data forum. They have many folks over there posting about Tellico Village in/near Loudon TN.
That was exactly what I was going to suggest. Little Tennessee River around Vonore, TN--off Hwy 411--very close to Maryville and the Smokies. It's an incredible real estate development. You can be in Knoxville in 25 minutes or less.

For golfers, I'd suggest Crossville, TN with about 5 large golf course communities and a thriving Summerstock drama program.

For fishermen, it's hard to beat Guntersville Lake and the city of Guntersville and Scottsboro, AL. The view from the top of Sand Mountain overlooking that lake is breathtaking and the residences on the water are incredible.

For a middle size city, Huntsville is hard to beat. It's possibly the smartest city in the U.S. with all the rocket scientists, and it's a city with lots of culture. Huntsville too has the Tennessee River and mountains. It's as hot as any city in the U.S. of its size economically.

For a little larger city, both Knoxville & Chattanooga have a lot going. Those mountains are very inviting, and both have nice societies.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #14

I was surprised when I saw the pictures how close the houses are in the villages.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The villages proved to be a bust for us.. So we booked a trip near Chattanooga having read it is a good retirement location. Tax friendly (except for sales tax). Im think green mountains, trout streams, lakes etc. I believe we will look at the lakes region.

Any thoughts on were to go what to see? How to get a flavor of the area?
We've considered Chattanooga for the same reasons mentioned already. What makes me pause is the traffic on I-24 and I-75. It's just horrible and it seems that every single time we go in our out on I-24 (the ridge cut and for about 20 miles west of that), there is an accident backing up traffic for hours. Since that and I-75 would be the main in/out road for us, we have moved Chatt farther down our list.

Otherwise, Chatt and the surrounding areas are just wonderful.

One "what to go see" if you're a reader is McKay Used Bookstore. It's located close to the mall that was mentioned upthread. If you're a book lover, it's utter heaven. The photos don't do the place justice:

McKays | Tennessee & North Carolina | McKay Used Books & CDs They have 'sister locations' in Nashville and Knoxville, too. The Nashville location is just as impressive and a friend said the Knoxville location (their original location, I think) is even bigger.

Rock City is awesome.

Definitely look at some of the other places mentioned in the area, too, and take into consideration each state's taxes for retirees. Even with a state income tax, you might one that works for you if your income falls under the exempt categories.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
We've considered Chattanooga for the same reasons mentioned already. What makes me pause is the traffic on I-24 and I-75. It's just horrible and it seems that every single time we go in our out on I-24 (the ridge cut and for about 20 miles west of that), there is an accident backing up traffic for hours. Since that and I-75 would be the main in/out road for us, we have moved Chatt farther down our list.

McKays | Tennessee & North Carolina | McKay Used Books & CDs They have 'sister locations' in Nashville and Knoxville, too. The Nashville location is just as impressive and a friend said the Knoxville location (their original location, I think) is even bigger.

Rock City is awesome.

Definitely look at some of the other places mentioned in the area, too, and take into consideration each state's taxes for retirees. Even with a state income tax, you might one that works for you if your income falls under the exempt categories.
There are plans to re-do the 75/24 split but I'm sure any project would take years to complete. What we really need is a I-75 or I-24 bypass around the city to really relieve congestion. With that said traveling these roads between 9am and 3pm isn't bad at all.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just remember driving the motorhome through Chattanooga and then climbing up I75 into north Georgia. That wasn’t fun.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Let us know what you think about the panhandle. My brother lives in Crestview and weve vacationed in Fort Walton. Weve enjoyed our trips, but now were giving thought to finding a way to snowbird and that area is an option because of my brother being there.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Let us know what you think about the panhandle. My brother lives in Crestview and weve vacationed in Fort Walton. Weve enjoyed our trips, but now were giving thought to finding a way to snowbird and that area is an option because of my brother being there.
The panhandle of Florida can get cold in winter. You've really got to get south of Orlando to get the really warm winter weather. I've even seen it snow just south of St. Augustine.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post

Otherwise, Chatt and the surrounding areas are just wonderful.

We have to go through Chattanooga to get to our RV in Helen, GA. We seldom during the daytime make it through that city without hitting debilitating traffic in downtown. I've seen traffic backed up 50 miles to the base of Monteagle Mountain even. I've tried other routes thru Georgia, and still cannot make decent time. The traffic is a Chattanooga issue.