Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap 16GB SDHC card...$29
Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap 16GB SDHC card...$29

http://www.ZipZoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...=BTS2008_intel

16GB SDHC card for $29 after rebate. Do note that this wont work in the slot of any laptop, camera or other device unless it supports the high capacity SD spec. Most stuff made in the last year or so will work.

You can stick it in a USB adapter that supports SDHC and use it on any USB capable computer. Those are readily available at most office supply type stores for $10-20.

The excuses for not backing up your stuff are getting harder to find...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

CFB, in your previous life you weren't by any chance a spammer were you? You sure do a mean imitation of one...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Administrator

That is exactly what I thought, too, when I saw the title of this post. Adrenalin rose, I clicked on this post determined to nail this spammer before he knew what hit him!!

CFB, you really had me going!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Down you overzealous moderators.

CFB is not a spammer, he is geek shoppers friend. $29 for 16 GB damn, I remember when $29 was good deal for 16K EPROM. That is a million times improvement.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great find CFB

Thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I could have a little spammer DNA in me.

I forget who, but I think it was Rich who got out the stick a couple of months ago and was ready to beat me down, thinking i was a spammer...

I just figured a lot of folks talk about getting or having a little chip to put all their goodies on. Patriot makes decent SD cards, their rebates are allegedly quite timely (I sent one in and got it back in a month), the e-tailer is decent and the price cant be beat.

Only oddity is that its really the latest tech. None of our laptops will take an SDHC card directly, but our camera and mp3 player will and i'm pretty sure the new digital photo frame we got takes it as well. I use the 4GB SDHC card we have with a USB adapter that came with it. That works pretty well.

Should be that any new model laptop or other SD card device you buy going forward will support the HC spec.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey, I could have a little spammer DNA in me.

I forget who, but I think it was Rich who got out the stick a couple of months ago and was ready to beat me down, thinking i was a spammer...

I just figured a lot of folks talk about getting or having a little chip to put all their goodies on. Patriot makes decent SD cards, their rebates are allegedly quite timely (I sent one in and got it back in a month), the e-tailer is decent and the price cant be beat.

Only oddity is that its really the latest tech. None of our laptops will take an SDHC card directly, but our camera and mp3 player will and i'm pretty sure the new digital photo frame we got takes it as well. I use the 4GB SDHC card we have with a USB adapter that came with it. That works pretty well.

Should be that any new model laptop or other SD card device you buy going forward will support the HC spec.
I have a 3-year old Dell. Can I use this marvelous device??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If you stick it in the aforementioned USB adapter that you can get at Staples. It looks like a USB flashdrive but has a slot in the end to stick the card.

Pretty unlikely that your 3 year old lappie uses SDHC in the slot and its not a software upgrade. Its probably on one of the older SD specs that tops out at either 2 or 4GB.

Getting the sdhc adapter sort of takes some of the cheap out of this, but then at least you'd be able to use any SD card on any computer or device that takes a USB connection.

Something like this, which can also read all sorts of other memory cards:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

Or if you want a flush mount in a laptop, theres this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839176001

These arent really super deals. You can get the usb readers for <$10 all the time and I've seen combos of a usb reader and 8gb card for under $30, like this:

Although that one doesnt have happy reviews.

Do a google on "SDHC reader"...you'll get stuff like
http://www.antonline.com/p_FCR-ML-GP_316324.htm
http://www.etech4sale.com/424250/san...r-sdhc-sd.html

The good news is that almost everything new you buy unless its uber-cheap will support sdhc.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you stick it in the aforementioned USB adapter that you can get at Staples. It looks like a USB flashdrive but has a slot in the end to stick the card.

Pretty unlikely that your 3 year old lappie uses SDHC in the slot and its not a software upgrade. Its probably on one of the older SD specs that tops out at either 2 or 4GB.

Getting the sdhc adapter sort of takes some of the cheap out of this, but then at least you'd be able to use any SD card on any computer or device that takes a USB connection.

Something like this, which can also read all sorts of other memory cards:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

Or if you want a flush mount in a laptop, theres this:

These arent really super deals. You can get the usb readers for <$10 all the time and I've seen combos of a usb reader and 8gb card for under $30, like this:

Although that one doesnt have happy reviews.

Do a google on "SDHC reader"...you'll get stuff like
http://www.antonline.com/p_FCR-ML-GP_316324.htm
http://www.etech4sale.com/424250/san...r-sdhc-sd.html

The good news is that almost everything new you buy unless its uber-cheap will support sdhc.
Thanks, it is a 3-year old desktop,not a lappie. I also have a 4 year old Toshiba, so I am behind the times..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well Dude, while you're out there getting yer cheap memory card, why dont ya stop by the store and get some modern computers that dont suck?

The USB adapters will work in a desktop or a laptop made since around 1996.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

For folks without an SDHC slot and dont want the hassle of an adapter, heres a 16gb usb flash drive for $35.

Just for reference, Costco was selling a 4GB sdhc card for $29 today and they want $95 for a 16gb...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...AFC-C8Junction
Old 08-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #12

I thought the NEW RULE was no links, urls, etc! Not that I think this one, Fat Wallet, Dell Good Deals are bad at all. Got a $48 dollar check from Fat Wallet through which I purchased a Dell Laptop with a 20% discount in addition to the $48 check.

BTW I purchased a 8 GB Corsair Thumb Drive based on someone's information (ON THIS FORUM) about a month ago. Actual cost was - $10.23 (that is a minus sign) they actually PAID me to purchase the thing and I even came with a cable so I could plug it in the back of the desktop and use it on top.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I thought the NEW RULE was no links, urls, etc!
...in the signature line.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #14

Oh OK - sounds good to me!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm also not a principal or employee of any of these companies.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm also not a principal or employee of any of these companies.
But you're willing to make anyone interested a super deal on a pair of Nikes, right?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Shhh...that deal was just for you!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Well my new computer will work with these cards, but now they are out of stock
Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #19

Hey CFB, any new hot deals on laptops?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

How about
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1211587727496

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=39&loc=01

(store purchase only, sold out online)