Cheap Beer of Choice

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Seems like the time of year for random beer threads. This one's about the brand of beer that you fall back on when you get tired of buying/paying for (in true LBYM mode) your preferred micro-brewed special dark ale.

My fall back has always been Miller High Life in bottles. After all, it IS the champagne of bottled beers. :LOL:

I think it goes for less than $10/12-pack around here. I always seem to have a few bottles waaay back in the fridge.

My fall back is water. It's either good beer, good wine, or water. Why take in the calories for anything less?

-ERD50

.........My fall back has always been Miller High Life in bottles. After all, it IS the champagne of bottled beers. :LOL: ..........

I like the cheap, light stuff, too. I am always amused when I'm in some hotsy totsy restaurant or bar and I order a Bud Light and get that condescending look. :LOL:

Seems like the time of year for random beer threads. This one's about the brand of beer that you fall back on when you get tired of buying/paying for (in true LBYM mode) your preferred micro-brewed special dark ale.

My fall back has always been Miller High Life in bottles. After all, it IS the champagne of bottled beers. :LOL:

I think it goes for less than $10/12-pack around here. I always seem to have a few bottles waaay back in the fridge.

Me too (sorry brewer) around here a Miller High Life and a lime wedge is called a Counterfeit Corona. Recently on the cooking channel they featured some pub food from a dive in Milwaukee. Everyone at the bar was drinking Schlitz! I remembered that my grandfather drank Schlitz, Ballentine Ale, Schmitd's, Schaeffer, etc. So I found a six pack of Schlitz on sale for $2.99 - liked it. I can get used to almost anything. IPA it ain't.

Homebrew. Can be as cheap or expensive as I want to brew it.

A cheap recipe starts at $30 for 5 gallons. Thats under $1 per bottle.

Actually I bloat too easily on beer these days,my fallback is a VO Manhatten.
Old Mike

MGD or MGD light if I have to go cheap, but it's been a long time since I've done that. Bud if my brother-in-law is coming. I normally stock up on Mich Amber Bock, Killians, or Bud American Ale if it's around $10 for 12 bottles. If I want to splurge I fill up a growler at the local brewpub.

My fall back is water. It's either good beer, good wine, or water. Why take in the calories for anything less?

-ERD50

+1. Life is too short to drink crappy beer or wine. Not that it has to be expensive to be good. But drinking cheap just because it's cheap is not for me.

I lived 30 miles from the Yuengling brewery near Pottsville PA. a case of returnable pounders was $8.

OK guess how long ago that was.

I will pick up a 30 pack of Miller Lite or Natural Light cans when they are on sale for a cheap, light beer to serve friends who don't like ale and for me at the pool in the summer. A lime wedge does make them a bit better.

Most of the bars I frequent have PBR bottles between $1 and $2; so, I have been known to take advantage of that as well when I'm not in the mood for something heavy and hoppy.

Homebrew. Can be as cheap or expensive as I want to brew it.

A cheap recipe starts at $30 for 5 gallons. Thats under $1 per bottle.

+1. Brewed 5 gallons of Blonde Ale today. IMHO Rolling Rock, Budweiser, Miller are average beers. I'd go with a pale ale from Firestone Walker if I were to drink a beer that wasn't brewed in my own back yard.

The vast majority of the time, I enjoy my own homebrew. You just can't get fresher beer than the stuff you make yourself.

I typically make a 10 gallon batch (equivalent to a little over four cases, but I only serve it on draft). That requires, depending on style, an average of about 15-20 pounds of grain and anywhere from five to ten ounces of hops. Buying ingredients in bulk makes a big difference, but my finished beer can cost me as much as $50 in ingredients, and about five hours of work (actually it's fun). That works out to 60 to 70 cents a pint, a small fraction of what you'd pay in a brewpub.

That said, I'm also perfectly comfortable paying five dollars for a bottle of beer, if it's a Rochefort 8 or something just as good. But I might have one or two of those a month.

Being part of the beer world is also a good thing. When I visit a brewery, the head brewer usually takes me back into the tank room, taps a glass and says "Here, you have to try this."

I'm a good sport, so I always try it. :whistle:

+1. Brewed 5 gallons of Blonde Ale today. IMHO Rolling Rock, Budweiser, Miller are average beers. I'd go with a pale ale from Firestone Walker if I were to drink a beer that wasn't brewed in my own back yard.

Got 5 gallons of Ozone Barleywine aging right now. Been againg since October. Won't bottle until August. It's gonna be a good'un!

Also have 5 gallons of Bitter aging. Should bottle it sometime next week.

I'll drink a PBR if a I have to, but Miller Lite is my fall back cheap beer. We have plenty of friends who prefer it. And on a hot day...I can't drink too many IPAs!

I like Busch Light. Actually like the taste. Also I use it to make an economical version of a Bloody Mary - Beer, salt, pepper and Spicy V8 Juice. Or you can salt a glass, mix beer and Rosie's lime juice for a redneck Margarita!

I lived 30 miles from the Yuengling brewery near Pottsville PA. a case of returnable pounders was $8.

OK guess how long ago that was.

Ah, yes, pounders. We used to get returnable Gennessee Cream Ale pounders in college. Little Kings, too. Wonder if they even make the latter.

If I am going to buy cheap stuff, we usually buy the "better" box wine. Some of the Fish Eye and Black Box etc.) wines are quite drinkable and much easier to pack in the camper than bottles, kegs, etc.

I find most of the Shiners beer varieties to be a nice comprimise between the heavy and more expensive micros and wimpy major brewery brands. Though my favorite summertime beer is Coors Light.

Yuengling - we often have it in the kegerator (however, New Years and the Superbowl party tapped it!)

Back
Top Bottom