Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap computers
Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap computers

Lenovo's outlet has been having some stupid sales on desktops and laptops. Last time I owned a thinkpad was before lenovo bought the brand out, so I can't vouch for the slabs, but I hear they're just okay.

Desktop wise, however, they've been unloading small form factor through large tower machines with a G620/630 or i3 processor, 4-6GB of ram, 500gb-1tb hard drives, h61 motherboards, all the usual fixings (keyboard, mouse, etc) and windows 7. I've been paying $199-250 for these as refurbs or scratch and dents, and they're indistinguishable from new.

The G620/630 are just i3's with a few things you won't miss turned off, still two good solid SandyBridge cores, just clocked a little lower than the i3.

Considering a decent box, power supply, motherboard and copy of windows will run you over $200, I think they're a steal. I've bought four including an H420 with a G630, 1tb drive, 6gb of ram and win7 for $250 that I got yesterday. The windows license is bonded to the motherboard, but the mobo will take an i3, i5 or i7. You'll probably want to upgrade the power supply if you're going to go to an i7 or put a video card in it, but I've used some $15-20 400 watt single rail supplies with very good success. You can upgrade them to 8GB of ram, a pcie x16 video card, and as mentioned, there are available cpu upgrades if you're a little handy with computers.

Their inventory control stinks, so sometimes you order one and it gets canceled because someone else checked out with it before you did, and the site gets slow when they have a sale on.

They've also had basic laptops in the $150-200 range and nice i5 ones in the ~$300-400 range. Pretty cheap, but again I haven't used one so I'd presume they're nothing super fancy.

Say so if you care, and I'll post when they have their next sale, or you can go to someplace like slickdeals and set a deal alert for 'lenovo outlet'. Seems to come up every other week or so.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

This link will take you there, so you can look around. No great deals today, but that may change by later today or tomorrow...

Desktops & All-in-Ones | Lenovo Outlet (US) | Lenovo | (US)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Some good ones just popped up:

Lenovo*|*

H420 mid tower desktop, i3 processor, 8gb of ram, 1tb hard drive, $237.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Same thing with 6gb of ram and a G620 for $207

Lenovo*|*
Win 7 laptops
Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Win 7 laptops

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Same thing with 6gb of ram and a G620 for $207

Lenovo*|*
Very interesting outlet, just make sure you get English version of Windows. I saw lots of French Win 7 laptops. Where do you get eCoupon?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info!
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post
Very interesting outlet, just make sure you get English version of Windows. I saw lots of French Win 7 laptops. Where do you get eCoupon?
I'm not sure, but I think the french versions just have some symbols on the keyboard...I think you can set the language to english with no problems. These are french CANADIAN models, not from France.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I bought a decent i3 lappy from them last week for $220+tax. Don't recall the specs, but all the basic stuff one needs for casual use. I intended to buy it for my mom, but she doesn't want it anymore, so it will probably be my new power laptop. Problem is, Lenovo has told me once that the order was delayed and once that it was cancelled. So I may or may not get a laptop... But I'll definitely check out other deals you post. A laptop for $200-225 is about what I'm looking for.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Thinkpad T410s about a year ago - the "s" model has a solid state drive that makes it very quick - I actually enjoy computing these days. Lenovo shows a refurbished T410s for a bit less than $600 (I paid ~$735 a year ago)

We have 3 Lenovo laptops in the house and have had many in the past with minimal problems - they just seem to grow old and slow and we replace them (except for one where the screen went bad).
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post
The French version works the same, but is rude, smokes a lot, and eats too much butter...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote