Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need the direct link, which sometimes is mailed to some people. Dell is weird...you come in from an affiliate link and they give you some deals and not others, different affiliate, different deals.

I just check into fatwallet.com or slickdeals.net a few times a day. Look into their hot deals forum and search for dell or hp, or do an ambiguous search for something like "GHz" or "GB" or "Core" to see systems, since many posts say something like "Dell - 3GHz Core Duo 500GB..."

You can also do a search and then ask it to notify you immediately on any new posts containing that search query. You do need to become a site member for that, but thats no harder than registering for any other forum.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got this in an email.

Seems like HP is having a spring sale. Desk top for $299 free shipping over $100. If email and web surfing is all you want one of these should work.

HP Home & Home Office Store -
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Not stellar, but decent. Mid size tower so it has a little more expansion than the slim tower.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Dual core, 1GB, 160GB, x3100 video, 19" screen, $379. Upgrade to the 20" for $30. Bump to 250/320GB disks is reasonable but all the other upgrades including the longer warranties are spendy.

$29 to bump it to Vista from XP and I'd stick some of my own memory in it later to bring it to 2GB if you're not going to run XP.

Good if you need something now, otherwise I'd wait a bit.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Not terribly cheap, but a reasonable deal if you must have one...

20" iMac, 2GHz core 2 duo, 1GB ram, 250GB disk, DVDRW, good midrange ATI graphics card, $999 after rebate. These usually go for a bit more than that as refurbs or used.

Micro Center Online - the center of .computer shopping
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

While you're looking at computers, this is a good deal on a humongous external disk drive for backups or nearline storage.

Western Digital 1TB My Book External Hard Drives 1TB at OfficeMax

Use codes SPRING or OFFICEMAX for an extra $15 off. $194 for a full TB of external storage is decent. I have the same unit with a smaller disk in it and its been a good performer. Quiet, cool and it turns on and off with the computer automatically if you leave the USB cable connected.

There are a handful of off brand externals in this size range at the same price, but this brand name unit has been selling at discount in the $230-240 range. This is $229 at costco right now.

Only thing that'd make me look elsewhere is if my PC had an e-sata connection, as thats a bit speedier than USB2.0
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Another tip on how to buy a cheap mac...

Psystar's Mac Clone Still Available For Purchase - Yahoo! News

Psystar Corporation - Open Computer: The Smart Alternative to an Apple

Seems their store is temporarily closed to to being unable to accept credit card transactions.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Dell Outlet Home & Home Office - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished PC - Refurbished Computer

Dell outlet is having a sale. 20% off using coupon code S3G10Z$00NH9V7 which expires after 750 uses.

Saw some pentium dual cores with 250/320GB, 2gb ram, vista premium about $309-319 -20%. Also saw some core 2 duo 2200/2400s with 500gb, 3gb, vista premium and a decent mid range video card for 379-450 -20%

Again, most of these "refurbs" are machines people bought and sent back within a month, or they were DOA's that got sent back, fixed, rerun through the QA process and put in the refurb bin. I didnt see any that are old machines that would have been in use for any period of time.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

On and those Psystar guys are taking orders for their $399 mac clone and their 999 mac pro clone.

Looks like they're going to get into a legal battle with Apple whose OS license states it cant be installed on non apple hardware.

The company fights back by saying that apple is being monopolistic and requiring people to pay 4x the cost for the hardware just to get the OS.

Hmmm...4x the price...where have I heard that before?

Their $399 machine specs superior in every way to the mac mini, yet is cheaper.

One thing you may run into is that the apple OS does a hardware check to make sure that its being installed on a real apple machine, as do the apple updates. Looks like these guys are using some of the well known ways to subvert the checks. If you're technically inclined, you can do this yourself.

$399 for a pretty decent mac clone isnt too bad. Bet the company is driven into the ground legally in about 2 weeks though.
Mac Clone Maker Psystar Shuts Online Store Again - Yahoo! News
Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

The usual dual core machine for $399. Has a 20" screen instead of the usual 19".
Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

For just basic computer needs (email, pix, word processing, etc) for a non-gamer, is there really any need to future-proof by going for a quad over a core2duo? At least at the moment, Dell has a quad available for $499 but also has several core2duo's at their refurbished site in the mid-$300 range. My HP Pavilion Slimline with an AMD Athlon 64 (which just died) was quite slow whenever anything was running in the background so I assume a core2due will be a step up. And most certainly a step up from this old Dell Dimension running Win 98. Also, wouldn't the core2duo tend to be quieter than the higher octane quad? And thanks CFB for threads like this, they're very helpful to less technically gifted individuals like myself!
Yipee-Ki-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yipee-Ki-O View Post
For just basic computer needs (email, pix, word processing, etc) for a non-gamer, is there really any need to future-proof by going for a quad over a core2duo? At least at the moment, Dell has a quad available for $499 but also has several core2duo's at their refurbished site in the mid-$300 range. My HP Pavilion Slimline with an AMD Athlon 64 (which just died) was quite slow whenever anything was running in the background so I assume a core2due will be a step up. And most certainly a step up from this old Dell Dimension running Win 98. Also, wouldn't the core2duo tend to be quieter than the higher octane quad? And thanks CFB for threads like this, they're very helpful to less technically gifted individuals like myself!
You are IMO right in your thinking. I have a P4 3.06 system that I thought was "powerful" and it was; 5 years ago. Recently, I purchased two systems a new DT and NB. Both have D2 processors on them and they are a vast improvement over the P4. Not having a Q (turned down the option on the DT) I do not have much of a basis to compare the D2 to the Q. The Intel Site has a pretty good bit of information on both (have to take some of it with a "grain of salt" since it the home site for the processors): Welcome to Intel
Old 04-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

I'd say that if the price delta is moot, the quad might give you a longer lifespan by working with highly threaded apps that start showing up in a few years. The operating systems are becoming more free threaded as well and I'd expect future versions of windows, macos and linux to really make use of the QC.

Dual processor to me is a must. Theres almost no price premium to go from a single core system to a basic dual core.

Theres a price/performance/benefit dropoff going from the dual to quad core on a desktop, but quads make perfect sense in a multi application server environment.

In the firebreathing desktop thread, I've posted sub 499-599 quad systems with big screen monitors. Thats a computer thats amazingly powerful now and will still be a very powerful machine 4-5 years from now. When I advise people on computer purchases, I usually ask them if they think it'll still be the computer they'll still like to have in 3-4 years, because if thats the case, they can probably get 5 out of it.

Buying a new machine and switching all your stuff over to it can be a major undertaking. Being able to do that less frequently and squeezing an extra year or two of life from the equipment can more than make up a slight increase in system price.

These machines are freakishly cheap too. If you consider that at retail the quad cpu alone costs $200, the monitor costs over $200, and the copy of windows is at least $90-120...so you're getting the case, power supply, motherboard, keyboard, mouse, dvd drive and all the other stuff in there including a warranty for free.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Buying a new machine and switching all your stuff over to it can be a major undertaking. Being able to do that less frequently and squeezing an extra year or two of life from the equipment can more than make up a slight increase in system price.
You can say that again...

I finally got my refurb Vista machine to stop freezing, by restoring to original. Of course, I bought it for home studio use, so if it won't run my new "Vista-compatible" software, it's just a relatively expensive paperweight...

Almost makes me miss the Celeron 500MHz machine it replaced...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Hah. I gave an old laptop with a 700MHz celeron to my BIL's teenaged kids. They gave it back. "Its TOOOO SLOOOWWW!"

So much for all the folks who said it was "plenty good enough for basic web surfing and what most people do!" when it was a new product 6 years ago.

Now its considered a relic unworthy of instant messaging and ipod syncing.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Really nice price for a new big screen monitor, sans pc...

Dell - 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor - Black - E228WFP

$199 for a 22" dell that is very well regarded. I saw it in BB the other day, really good looking screen.