Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap desktop computer
Old 07-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap desktop computer

I said I wasnt going to do this anymore after getting the business from certain people the last time I did it, but this is a good one.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...2d30h10a&s=bsd

Dell 3000, complete with a 15" LCD monitor and printer for $399-100 rebate=299.

Celeron 2.4, 256mb ram, 40gb disk, XP. Nothing to write home about, but a very good basic machine with screen and printer for a very good price.

I'd consider adding the 1 year or 2 year warranty, a larger disk and trade up from the inkjet printer to a laser. Dell charges a lot for inkjet carts.

The 3000 is supposed to be a little louder than the 2400, which I got for my brother in law. But I havent heard a lot of complaints about it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cheap desktop computer
Old 07-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Note that the rebate check will be sent to your 'company name' if one is entered in dell sb.

Yes, you can buy from dell sb without having a small business...just make sure your company name is your name for this transaction...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Michael Dell makes good computers. I like mine.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I see where some of the online retailers, like 123 inkjects, are now selling remanufactured Dell cartridges a bit cheaper. But it looks like it would still cost at least $25. ... I'm in no hurry to pull my Dell printer out of the box.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My brother in law needed new carts for his 'free' printer...they were going to run about 65 bucks. So I bought him another machine for a few bucks more that came with full carts and cost about 40 a set to replace. He had a struggle with 'throw it out' when its a perfectly good printer and ended up giving it to someone else instead...(shrug).

Bump to the 2 year warranty (30), a bigger hard drive (30), the laser printer (70), maybe blow a few bucks on 512 memory (50) and for under 500 you've got a nice machine with an lcd and a laser printer. Not too shabby. Deal ends today, but they'll do it again in a month or so.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I know, it's crazy ... I could just run out my free dell's cartridges, then buy a new canon printer to replace it and come out ahead.

Now if Dell would just sell laptops for $299,* I could buy myself a new toy, nearly guilt-free*

to answer myself.... I saw an office depot ad over the weekend for a Compaq R4000 ...$399 after rebates. Tho I admit I know zip about an AMD sempron processor)*
Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Be aware that some of the cartridges that comes with new printers are not full - kind of demo versions.

When it comes to cheap laptops it always seems that after I have added what I want (full ram upgrade, centrino/M, dvd burner Etc.) the thing will anyway cost me $1000. (note; I am not US based so do not get quite the same deals with dell online as some of you guys+discount coupons not so easy to redeem for me+mailing expensive).
Still, 1K is cheap considering the convinience and the hours spend with it. My next laptop should be smaller than my current Acer 15.4" as I in FIRE like to log it around more - be it to the sofa or to Starbucks to watch people going to work...
Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The Sempron has dreams about growing up to be a celeron, if that helps.

I hate the build quality and reliability on the compaq/hp machines I've seen lately. Bought one a couple of years ago. Wont do it again.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Nice deal if you want a buttkicker instead of a low end machine

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=2d47w11&s=bsd

Pentium 4 2.8GHz with hyperthreading, includes 19" lcd display...the display all by itself is pretty spendy...19" lcd == 21" CRT display in viewable area. $499 after $100 rebate.

I'd kick in the 2 year warranty, memory and disk upgrade and consider the video card upgrade if you're gonna play twitch 3d games. Under $600 for a well loaded system with a huge free screen is a really good deal.

Note the above mention that this is through dell small business. You dont need a business to buy from them. But the rebate check will be made out to the business name, so make the business name your name or you'll have a keepsake check made out to some fake business...