Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap, easy teleconferencing?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap, easy teleconferencing?

Much to my dismay, I have a large block of business travel coming up. DW and I were trying to come up with ways to reduce the impact on the kids. She suggested that we look into a way to have video to go with audio when I call home to talk to the kids since they are too young to get that much out of a phone call. Is there an easy, cheap, perhaps web based way to do this?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

The only way I know is Skype. I've used it a lot in the last year and it's pretty great. It's free for web based video/audio calls, and the quality is good.

By "teleconference" do you mean there are more than 2 parties? In that case, I don't think you can use Skype, at least I've never tried.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Nope, just me and the folks at home, not multiple people. I will check it out.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Administrator

Skype is great. We joined Frank's family in a Skype call to his brother-in-law in Bahrain, on Christmas Day. The video was great - - just like being there, and the kids loved really *seeing* their Daddy! And vice versa, I'm sure, from the smile on his face.

There were a lot of us there and he could see us, but whoever was talking would move to the front to be more visible to the camera.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you have a webcam (or can use your digital camera as one) for your laptop, you can use Microsoft Live Messenger to make free video "phonecalls", assuming you have a broadband connection in your hotel room. I assume you have a webcam for your computer at home.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Skype is awesome for what you need. I use it to keep in touch with my nephew and niece.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I do a huge amount of business teleconferencing and at least once a month I am involved in a webconference. Here are some of the outfits whose web conferencing services I have either used directly or participated in:

WebEx: Web Conferencing, Web Meeting, Video Conference, Online Meeting Services

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/t/gg_ca...FRQeDQodWF0vBg

Conferencing|Video Conferencing|Audio and Web Conferencing - ACT Conferencing

Conferencing | Web Conferencing | Conference Call - Intercall Canada

Teleconferencing is dirt cheap and webconferencing is quite reasonable. It's highly cost effective, particularly when the group is already well acquainted with each other. When you factor in the cost of travel, the opportunity cost of alternative activities, and the hassle, it's a winner for business meetings that move a project forward. It would not work so well for networking "cold" with new people; face time is still important for that. But it is good for sustaining those business relationships. We use it often for patient care.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm. Well, I am not allowed to download or install anything on the work laptop, so that may be n issue. It looks like skype requires a software download. I will see if it is approved at work, but I doubt it.

Will skype work with a netbook?

- Will Rogers
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Another way to do this is simply to not call home at all. You don't want them all to get used to you always being around, do you? Let them have their independence. Just be sure to talk to them when you get back home.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hmmm. ............

Will skype work with a netbook?

My netbook came with Skype already on it. It has a built in camera / microphone, too.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, Skype works on a netbook. DH has an ASUS netbook and it works just fine.