Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap Firebreathing Desktop?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap Firebreathing Desktop?

I need one. I doubled the memory to max in my 4-year old Toshiba laptop, and I am sick of the slowness, small screen, etc.

Can anyone help? It is for work if that matters........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Few months ago I purchased a desktop from this place for gaming.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Im happy with the results and price.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a firebreather you could put on your desktop :
Attached Images
File Type: gif dragondisplay.gif (10.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Here's a firebreather you could put on your desktop :

That would be a good avatar for you to use.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
That would be a good avatar for you to use.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #6

I don't have a suggestion for a desktop, but when you have your new computer, download a copy of Ubuntu Linux and put it on the laptop. It has Foxpro, email program, Open Office, and a bunch of games and other programs in the latest release. I am using a 4 year old Compaq and it is very good for web use.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I assume you've already reinstalled windows and gotten rid of all the stuff that accumulates and slows down the system? Won't help with the small screen, of course.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Financedude,

I just bought a nice firebreather. Got it from ebay. They have a deal right now where you can click through live dot com search and find the "25% live cashback" link, then buy on ebay through "buy it now" and pay with paypal. A little bit of work, but it amounted to a lot of cashback for me.

I got a new dell Inspiron 530 with intel core 2 quad (Q6600) 2.4 Ghz machine with 640 GB hard drive, 3 GB ram, dvd dual layer burner, a second DVD drive, 19 in 1 media card reader, Vista home premium, keyboard and mouse (maybe some other stuff??) for $539 (free shipping and no tax), but it was $377 after the cashback discount (basically a rebate). If you have a monitor and speakers, you're ready to go. I also bought an el cheapo graphics card to do a little gaming for another $30.

Not the bleeding edge, but close, for basically $400. Includes dell 1 yr on site warranty coverage, too.

If you need the computer, a monitor, and speakers, and don't care about having the absolute most awesome machine ever, maybe check out on of the big box retailers for their $399 or $499 desktop specials to get a good "all-in" price for everything you will need.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you are looking for a gaming computer CyberPowerPC have got pretty good reviews.
Costco and Costco.com generally have some good deals on them and the concierge service that Costco offers is actually worthwhile. My Brother-In-Law was super impressed with it.

Alternatively for online purchase I'd highly recommend checking out techbargin.com
to find coupons. I saved 25% on my HP gaming Desktop I bought back in Sept simply by entering the coupon code at purchase. Right now that have $400 off coupon on a $999 HP Desktop = $599 (with Blueray!) and 20% and 25% off coupons for Dell desktops.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I just bought a nice firebreather.
Of course "Fuego" would own a firebreather...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Claro que si, senor!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you are even remotely a techie, you could build one. It's fun, educational, not that hard, semi-cheap, and you get exactly what you want. Parts available from your friendly neighborhood Microcenter. Or online at Newegg.com or many other locations.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If you are even remotely a techie, you could build one. It's fun, educational, not that hard, semi-cheap, and you get exactly what you want. Parts available from your friendly neighborhood Microcenter. Or online at Newegg.com or many other locations.
I am about as much a techie as Waren Buffet..........

My BIL could build one, but I am not going to ask him because he complained for an ENTIRE DAY because I asked him to put more memory in my laptop and desktop......

Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Financedude,

I just bought a nice firebreather. Got it from ebay. They have a deal right now where you can click through live dot com search and find the "25% live cashback" link, then buy on ebay through "buy it now" and pay with paypal. A little bit of work, but it amounted to a lot of cashback for me.

I got a new dell Inspiron 530 with intel core 2 quad (Q6600) 2.4 Ghz machine with 640 GB hard drive, 3 GB ram, dvd dual layer burner, a second DVD drive, 19 in 1 media card reader, Vista home premium, keyboard and mouse (maybe some other stuff??) for $539 (free shipping and no tax), but it was $377 after the cashback discount (basically a rebate). If you have a monitor and speakers, you're ready to go. I also bought an el cheapo graphics card to do a little gaming for another $30.

Not the bleeding edge, but close, for basically $400. Includes dell 1 yr on site warranty coverage, too.

If you need the computer, a monitor, and speakers, and don't care about having the absolute most awesome machine ever, maybe check out on of the big box retailers for their $399 or $499 desktop specials to get a good "all-in" price for everything you will need.
Thanks........ Right now, my kids have a nicer computer than I do, but DW won't let me "hock" their computer for work, because it has a 20inch LCD, and all the kids games are loaded on it, AND its in their room......

Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am about as much a techie as Waren Buffet..........
Yeah - don't let anyone trick you into building your own computer unless you like researching and sourcing parts, troubleshooting, and being your own tech support. I almost went down that road with my current purchase, but figured I could get a fully assembled, QC'd, and warrantied machine for about the same (or a little less) than what I could build one for. And I spent enough time researching what I wanted in it, I didn't feel like spending more time researching every little part and connection to make sure I have all the right stuff.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Financedude,

Can I get XP instead of Vista? I don't trust Vista yet.......

Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Short answer is yes. Long answer is you might pay a little extra for it depending on where you buy the computer from. My understanding is that the Windows Vista "Business" and "enterprise" editions come with a free windows XP "downgrade" option, and I know on Dell's website you can specify to have your computer installed with XP, but you are presumably paying for the more expensive Vista business license (this is through their small business sales center).

Microsoft isn't selling any new or OEM windows XP licenses (for about the last 6 months I think). You may find a computer builder that still has some old XP licenses laying around, and they are for sale other places on the internet.

I haven't actually got my computer up and running yet, and I've never used Vista. I'll check it out and see how it goes though. I have considered taking a spare XP license and reinstalling the OS on the new computer if Vista is really as bad as some folks make it out to be. My concern is backwards compatibility with software I use. I hear Vista isn't too compatible with many things still.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:

I run Vista 64bit and 32bit on 2 computers. I have not ran into any issues at all. I do know what Im doing on a computer though
Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I run Vista 64bit and 32bit on 2 computers. I have not ran into any issues at all. I do know what Im doing on a computer though
I love Vista and would never want to return to XP, personally. The only problems I have heard of with Vista, is that some home-brew programs are not compatible with it. (These are programs that Frank uses, not me, so I have no personal difficulties). Vendors of these home-brew programs have mostly done work-arounds by now, from what he tells me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Dell offers Windows XP free on some of it's models and $99 on the less costly ones . I have Vista home edition and it works fine but what do I know I'm not a techie . Luckily I have a techie daughter to handle my computer problems.