Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"quad core machine" - Is that just the new duo core intel processor or something new? Also, the latest is the 32 bit processors, right? I thought I saw 64 bit somewhere.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quad cores are basically two dual core processors joined together in one cpu package. Looks like one chip, but four processors capable of splitting tasks. I believe that almost all core2 duo and core 2 quads are 64 bit. Last time I looked (over a year) there were a few bin parts in the dual core area that were cheapos that didnt have the 64 bit extensions. About all that really buys you is access to more than 4GB of main memory. There are some other goodies in there to facilitate performance and management of large system loads, but for todays desktop environment its probably not essential unless you're running a big server.

The beauty of multiple cores isnt so much in being able to do twice as much work, its in reducing logjams or blockages. While a single high speed processor can do an awful lot of work but there are many, many operations that applications software perform that require that something finishes before execution of the application can continue. While the processor is waiting on that event, nothing else happens. You'll notice this when you're clicking away or watching something and it looks like nothing is happening.

By rewriting applications to use freer threading models, its possible to eliminate some of these logjams. But thats a lot of work. Adding a second processor core means that when the first one gets stopped, the second one can continue. Massive applications like Microsoft Office use some complex threading constructions that can stop a single processor machine an awful lot.

Some applications can be very processor intensive or interrupt the processing load a lot. Those will make your computer seem very slow when working in the foreground doing your web browsing and email. Backups, video conversions, dvd burning, virus scanning and other such products can soak up an entire processor, but a second/third/fourth available allows you to run your foreground apps independent of that background load.

At this point in time, many apps are made to work on a single processor, but that doesnt stop a multi core machine from breaking up a total system load across multiple cores. Most modern OS's are running 50-200 processes at any given times with generally 2-4 being very active at any given time.

As time goes on, more applications will be threaded more freely which will allow one application to spread itself over all 2 or all 4 cores, so it'll better facilitate multithreading as well as multitasking.

Some good reading here on the various ways app threading works.

Processes, Threads, and Apartments

Honestly, at this time quad cores are a little overkill for todays home desktop apps unless you have enormous computational requirements. But 3-4 years from now they might look positively essential.

When you can get four cores that each have more horsepower than the very best cpu offered just 2-3 years ago, the futureproofing is pretty solid. At these prices you're not overpaying for the pleasure either.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Nice thread with a variety of quad core systems with huge monitors in the $650-680 range

Dell Inspiron Core 2 Quad Processor with 24" monitor for $694 + Free Shipping!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Holy crap 24 . Wow Im 19incher makes me feel small now!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'll let ya look at my 32" for a buck...
Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'll let ya look at my 32" for a buck...

Blah you had to pile on didnt you!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Eh, I was trying to get my son to throw something through it this morning so I can buy one with better resolution. No such luck. He knows that without it he cant play Cars on my 360.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Nice thread with a variety of quad core systems with huge monitors in the $650-680 range

Dell Inspiron Core 2 Quad Processor with 24" monitor for $694 + Free Shipping!
Check this thread again if you're still on the fence. Someone found a way to get a 10% off coupon and throw that on the pile.

Quad core machine with a 24" monitor for $612...
Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Not a super deal, but good if you need a lot of cpu and a big screen right now.

Quad core, 20" screen, $599
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Note that you can swap out the ~2GHz quad core for a ~3GHz dual core for $20. The quad will be faster for multiple concurrent apps or well threaded apps, the dual core will probably be faster for single primary apps like some games and some video conversion apps.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #30

CFB: Isn't another advantage of DC CPU the fact they can be OC'd (NVIDA NTUNE) but the Quads cannot be yet?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

You can OC the quads, but its not for the faint of heart. The Q6600 is well prized for hitting up to 50% overclocks, but you'll need some liquid cooling to over a 20% bump.

You're also likely to need a different motherboard and memory than this comes with.

Next question is......WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU NEED THAT MUCH CPU?!?!?!??