Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The 1000h is a good model to look at if screen and keyboard size are an issue. The keyboard on the 7 and 8.9" models is the same size and it was impossible for me to touch type on it. The 1000h not only has a bigger screen it has a bigger keyboard.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
Be careful about Acer... when I was researching laptops they seemed to have significantly higher than average quality and service issues.

But they do have some great deals.

I had an Acer. There are two glaring design faults. One is that Acer chooses too use way to many little screws that come loose. Two is that the hinge is plastic and easy to damage.
I've got two Acer laptops and am completely satisfied with them, screws, hinges, and all. One is 2-1/2 years old, and the other is 7-1/2 (!) years old (upgraded HDD and OS). I'm going to have to get rid of the older one soon before the historical society comes and makes me preserve it for posterity!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Wow. How many minutes of run time per cranking does it give you?

I just gave my niece a 6 year old laptop and she gave it back to me a week later. "Its too slow!"... :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #184

Oh, sorry, wrong thread. I thought this was "Cheap Notebook Users!"
Cranks? Dunno, but I've had to replace the mice and the exercise wheel three times.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Nice deal on the EEE...the 900 model with 8.9" screen, 16gb SSD and windows XP for $350...

Asus 900 mini laptop $350.44 second day shipping XP, 1GB RAM 16GM SSD
Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Nice deal on the EEE...the 900 model with 8.9" screen, 16gb SSD and windows XP for $350...

Asus 900 mini laptop $350.44 second day shipping XP, 1GB RAM 16GM SSD
You might want to look out for the 901 it has a longer battery life.
8 hrs vs 2.5
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/901.htm

My basic Asus eee has been working fine for me with Linux.
The only thing I wish I could figure out how to do is download podcasts on it. There is a program for it but it isn't like iTunes.

Storage - you can always add a SD card which is a good place for your files. If you loose the Asus - everything is on the SD card.

I'm thinking about getting the 901 with XP just so my life would be a bit easier - add TV, Itunes - but it really isn't nessary.

The basic eee is so small and lite you don't mind carrying it.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

901's a better machine, but I dont think you'd see a 3.5:1 battery life difference. Plus they're $150 more.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

RUN!

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

15.4" core 2 duo, 1gb ram, vista basic, cd burner, 80gb hard drive, $376.

Did I say RUN! yet? Best price on a nice basic lappie that doesnt have a celeron or some other POS processor in it.

2 year extended on-site warranty for $59, 3 year for $99.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Vista premium, dvd burner and bump to 2gb ram are all inexpensive upgrades too.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

Price on the dell laptops is now over $500
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Yep, thats why I said RUN! They wanted to sell a certain quantity of these, and when they got it, they jacked up the price.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Gateway M 6827 15 4 Widescreen Notebook Computer With Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 With Centrino Processor Technology by Office Depot

Office depot in-store special. Core 2 duo, 3gb ram, 160gb hard drive, 6 cell battery, dvd writer, 3945 wireless card, $499 after instant and mail in rebates.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

I didnt see any more of the asus EEE 1000h 80gb units go on deep sale, but the 160gb version is available now for the same $449 sale price the 80gb version was.

Pretty nice small portable, 10" screen, much bigger keyboard than the 7/9" models, XP and a real hard drive. Good battery life. I still find anything under 12-13" to be tough to read and work on, but for a traveler, this is a very good compromise.
ASUS Eee PC 1000H 160G 90OA0HB8C211131U111Q EEEPC1000H-BLK066X N270 1.60GHz 10" 160GB HDD 1GB PC2- at ZipZoomfly

I'd get one, but I cant think of a good explanation to prevent my wife from shooting me.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #194

I just bought the ASUS eee 1000H - 80G version for $449 to replace my dying HP laptop. So far I love it! I did upgrade to 2 G RAM -- I found a great deal on 2 G RAM at Fry's.com ($37.99, free shipping PLUS a $25 rebate = final cost $12.99).

I'm not having any problems with the keyboard, the keys are something like 95% the size of a regular laptop keyboard; the only issue is with the right side shift key, which is outside the up arrow key...trying to capitalize, I often find myself a row up in my typing. Not a huge issue...just a bit annoying.

I wouldn't plan to write the Great American Novel on this netbook, but it sure is fun to take to the corner coffee shop to surf the net!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

EEE 1000HD, linux, 80gb drive, 1gb ram, $399...preorder on Amazon with free shipping...

Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 1000HD 80G (10-inch Display, 1.6 GHz Intel ATOM Processor, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Linux, 6 Cell Battery) Fine Ebony: Electronics

If something better comes along or you see it somewhere cheaper, you can cancel the amazon order as long as it hasnt shipped.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #196

Thank goodness to the OLPC that we are getting all of these ultra portable netbooks for under $500. I personally like the HP 2133. It's a bit more expensive, but the construction is better. After the unceremonious destruction (death by a thousand loose screws and mystery plastic pieces) of my Acer 15.4" laptop, I'm now very conscious of build quality. It used to be that I couldn't get metal construction unless I go the Toughbook or Thinkpad route, but now with the 2133, I can get a ultra portable with a metal case. Yeah. Oh, wait, I'd have to sell my Macbook first. Maybe I'll wait.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

OfficeMax - Weekly Store Ads

Wowie kazowie. 16" machine, 4gb ram, 250gb hard drive, core 2 duo, wireless N, and HDMI output so you can plug it right into your HD tv with one wire and watch content on your tv. $599 on sale from $749.

Nice screen size compromise between a 15 and 17 incher. A bit heavy though, its almost 8lbs. Great home theater laptop.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the above deal is super, but hard to come by. Its instore only and stores mostly had just a couple of them.

Not a super deal, but cheap if you need one right now...

Acer Aspire AS5720-4516 15.4" Notebook PC 15.4" Widescreen Window

Dual core, 160gb drive, 3gb ram, dvd burner, vista premium, $519. Plenty in stock. Free shipping, usually from your local officemax the next business day.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Dell Vostro (bought in April for $499) unfortunately was cheap in another way -- died on me this morning and have to ship for repair. Pain to go back to my very slow 6 yr old Inspiron until the repair is done.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 900 8.9-Inch Netbook (900 MHz Intel Mobile Processor, 1 GB RAM, 20 GB Solid State Drive, Linux, 4 Cell Battery) Galaxy Black: Computers & PC Hardware

EEE with celeron, 20g SSD (two partitions), 1gb, linux, 4 cell battery, $287 AR.

Not very good battery life...maybe a couple of hours. But a good bit cheaper than the newer ones, and the celeron cpu is slightly faster than the atom.

This is cheaper than the 2GB/512MB surf model with the 7" screen was selling for not that long ago.

Its got the small keyboard (the 1000 has the larger one).