Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Update on my ASUS eee 1000h, with 2 GB ram, 80 GB HDD and 1.6 mhz Atom processor and MSFT Wdo XP.

When fully charged, I can get about 5:45 to 6 hours from the battery, even online (I do disable the Bluetooth and the camera, however.) I read lots of posts on other forums about the build quality of this netbook, but so far, (knock wood) this one seems very well built. Getting used to the keyboard was no problem except for the strange placement of the right shift key, and the 10.2" screen is fine for web surfing and most documents, etc. (even better with the MSFT clear type tuning ad on.)

Bottom line: I think it was a good $450 purchase...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Its got the small keyboard (the 1000 has the larger one).
I think that price reflects the "popularity" of the tiny-fingers keyboard.

But it's nice to see affordable SSDs taking off...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For anyone who doesnt have small hands and good eyes, its definitely the 2nd or 3rd laptop and a lightweight traveler, not a primary laptop.

Might be something good to keep in the kitchen for looking up recipes and keeping a family calendar or something like that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #204

Quote:
For anyone who doesnt have small hands and good eyes, its definitely the 2nd or 3rd laptop and a lightweight traveler, not a primary laptop.

Might be something good to keep in the kitchen for looking up recipes and keeping a family calendar or something like that.
I looked at the smaller netbooks and the screen and the keyboards were just too small for comfort. I'm a speedy touch typist and I couldn't manage with those itty bitty keys. The 10" ASUS keyboard has keys that are 95% the size of a regular keyboard, so there was no problem -- even with my really long fingers.

I agree that this won't replace my desktop computer with its 22" LCD screen and I wouldn't want to edit a huge spreadsheet on it...but it sure is convenient to have it as CFB says, right on the kitchen counter for quick lookups; and taking it to the local coffee shop or the library is just plain fun.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
I agree that this won't replace my desktop computer with its 22" LCD screen and I wouldn't want to edit a huge spreadsheet on it...but it sure is convenient to have it as CFB says, right on the kitchen counter for quick lookups; and taking it to the local coffee shop or the library is just plain fun.
I do a spread sheet on the 7" eee - you get used to it.

I'm going to wait a bit to get the next generation of the 901. I'm hoping for a bit more memory. It would be great to put iTunes on it with all my music and podcasts.
I think it is great for traveling.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Buy the Toshiba Satellite L305-S5891 15.4" Widescreen Laptop and other Laptop computers at circuitcity.com

Nice dual core 2GB/160GB/dvd writer notebook for $449 AR

Buy the Lenovo IdeaPad S10-1211 10.2" Netbook - Black and other Laptop computers at circuitcity.com

New entrant to the small netbook fray. 1GB ram, 160GB hard drive, 10'2" screen. I havent seen one yet but supposedly they're a bit better made than the asus and msi units. $449 price isnt bad for the specs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Acer - Aspire Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T3200 - AS5735-4624

Acer aspire, dual core, 2gb/160gb, dvd writer, $399
Old 10-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Buy the Lenovo IdeaPad S10-1211 10.2" Netbook - Black and other Laptop computers at circuitcity.com

New entrant to the small netbook fray. 1GB ram, 160GB hard drive, 10'2" screen. I havent seen one yet but supposedly they're a bit better made than the asus and msi units. $449 price isnt bad for the specs.
Unboxing the Lenovo IdeaPad S10
That looks like a great little machine - It is compitition to the asus 901 in my mind.

What is the durability of the hard drive? Meaning - carrying it around. Those units are so light that you tend to put them in a back pack and bounce it around and put it down hard (turned off of course)

I haven't seen anything on the battery life - 3 cell?

These little machines are going to be great in a short time - I'm going to wait as long as I can to get one. I'm guessing they will get lighter - size wise they can only get marginally smaller.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

I wouldnt drop or vigorously shake any machine with a running hard drive, but with the unit off...other than treating it like any other plastic and glass containing electronic item, you should be able to put it in a bag and toss it around a little bit.

For most of these batteries, I think a good rule of thumb is maybe an hour per battery cell, minus 20-30% if you keep the screen brightness turned up. Seems like most of the 3 cell units are doing 2.5-3 hours, 4 cells 3.5-4 hours and 6 cells 4-6 hours.

The big change long term will be battery life and hard drive sized SSD's. Intels new 80gb SSD just rolled out. Some newer battery setups combined with the atom cpu and some power savings schemes will start turning out 8-24 hour battery life.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Interesting interview with the head of MSI's sales dept on netbooks:

MSI: Wind Coming to Major Retailer, New Models Coming Soon

Most interesting tidbit was that linux netbooks are returned at a rate 4x that of windows versions. People hit a glitch or something they cant figure out and they just return it rather than figure it out.

Some good odds and ends about near future products.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting interview with the head of MSI's sales dept on netbooks:

MSI: Wind Coming to Major Retailer, New Models Coming Soon

Most interesting tidbit was that linux netbooks are returned at a rate 4x that of windows versions. People hit a glitch or something they cant figure out and they just return it rather than figure it out.
I wonder how long Microsoft will allow them to keep selling Windows XP?

I'll take the comment about the Linux laptop return rate with a grain of salt (since it came from a company selling a Windows-equipped machine). In my brief experience with Linux, the "doing things different" factor was indeed a PITA compared to Windows. But, to me as a common user, it didn't seem better or worse. And tech support (from LINUX hobbyists) seemed as good or better than the online support on similar Windows sites (and MUCH better than anything Microsoft provides.)
Old 10-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And tech support (from LINUX hobbyists) seemed as good or better than the online support on similar Windows sites (and MUCH better than anything Microsoft provides.)
Have you tried the Microsoft support forums yet?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

i have linx on the 701 eee - it works fine - i just can't add any programs to it (as simply with windows).
Old 10-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Thank goodness to the OLPC that we are getting all of these ultra portable netbooks for under $500.
One Laptop Per Cheapskate?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I wonder how long Microsoft will allow them to keep selling Windows XP?
I'd imagine for quite a while, or they'll have to come out with a much slimmer vista. Way too much disk space and ram required for even vista basic.

Quote:
I'll take the comment about the Linux laptop return rate with a grain of salt (since it came from a company selling a Windows-equipped machine).
MSI sells their products with both linux and windows. The return rates were what they experienced with identical hardware platforms with both linux and windows. Sure, theres plenty of support, but a lot of netbook buyers arent heavy computer people, they just want a highly portable email/browser unit and when it starts doing funny things or they cant figure something out, its easier to take it back to the store and get something else than to mess with it.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
One Laptop Per Cheapskate?
OLPC stands for One Laptop Per Child not One Lapdance Per Codger. The latter can cost a lot more.