Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
That'll teach you for buying one of those AMD based POS...

You're just lucky it hasnt bitten you or caught fire.
You mean like my Inspiron 8600 with Intel processor used to heat up?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

That was a special design that helped keep the user warm, and at the same time reduced home heating demands.

No danger of catching fire, and all teeth were removed at the factory.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Seems there was a very good deal on some Dell laptops a few weeks ago, and everyone who bought something else from them returned what they bought and got the better deal.

Now there seems to be a brazillion Inspiron 1525 notebooks "refurbished" in the dell outlet, and theres a 15% off coupon good only until tomorrow.

Never had a problem with a dell refurb, all looked like new. These were probably sent out and sent back in under a month. The 1525 hasnt been out that long.

At a quick glance, I saw all colors, dual processors of varying speed, 2-3GB of ram, 160GB hard disks, dvd burners and vista home premium. Most were in the $550-580 range, which would come down to 470-500 range after the coupon. Nice deal.

Coupon code is XCJ8H2H2SC5CBK applied at checkout.

Go here...
Dell Factory Outlet

If you go through the fatwallet site referral link and use a cash rewards card, knock another 4-5 percent off.

Since these are already made, they also will ship in a day or two.
Dell Outlet Home coupons and cash back

This coupon expires after 750 uses, so dont dawdle...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are pressed for cash, how's $300?

Everex - The Alternative PC Company

OK, so that's Linux - or you could grab a refurbished MacBook directly from Apple for $850 or so

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White

I switched to Mac just over a year ago - never looked back....
Old 04-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I'd read some reviews on that cloudbook before I bought one...

The macbook is great if you want a machine with minimal memory, minimal hard disk, and a 13" screen for almost twice as much...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Bestbuy has a nice sale:

Dell - Inspiron Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2370 - Jet Black - I1525-100B

Inspiron 1525, dual core, 160Gb drive, $499.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the classic Mead 3-subject notebooks, about $1.89 each at Walgreens.

aworkingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Then you'll LOVE this!

The Powerbook Prank: He wanted a Powerbook. We gave him a P-P-P-Powerbook!

Warning: some naughty words that may not be suitable for work, or for those under the age of 12.

Even fake macs are too expensive...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #69

Quote:
I'd read some reviews on that cloudbook before I bought one...

The macbook is great if you want a machine with minimal memory, minimal hard disk, and a 13" screen for almost twice as much...
It depends on what you want. If you must interact with a corporate network or if you want the latest greatest gaming experience, definitely grab a Dell refurb or discount box. If you just want to surf the 'net a generic linux box would work just fine. If you want to manage lots of photos and video and audio right out of the box, it's tough to beat a Mac, but there are no 'generic' or super-cheap Macs. It depends on what you want or need usage-wise.

BTW, my MacBook is running 2GB of RAM on a 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I agree a linux notebook can be fine.

Just not the cloudbook. GOS is not well received as a product, the hard drive is very slow, it runs very hot, and the wifi performance and battery life are weak. I'd buy an EEE and get a little external hard drive for when you needed it, or a large SDHC card.

I'm sure your mac configuration is very nice. Its not that far removed spec-wise from the dell machine noted above. What did you pay for yours?

The refurb you pointed to is only $100 cheaper than a new machine, it has an 80gb drive vs 160, has 1GB ram vs 2-3GB, and a 13" screen vs a 15" screen. For $450 more.

So I agree wholeheartedly with you that its not necessary to buy too much hardware, or a good idea to pay twice as much for half as much. Of course, there could be some moral value I'm not savvy on...spending as much as you can for a computer yet not taking up unnecessary computing resources that you dont need?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #71

Quote:
I'm sure your mac configuration is very nice. Its not that far removed spec-wise from the dell machine noted above. What did you pay for yours?
BTW, the Dell link above shows sold out online - It was a 2-day sale at Best Buy.

I think I paid about $800 at CompUSA for my MacBook.

FYI, my previous laptop was a Dell, paid maybe $375 at a computer outlet type place. At work I help maintain my employer's 1600+ Dells. I've been using PC's since before Windows 3.1. But I've used my Mac more than any PC I've ever owned, and I'll never go back. Not trying to preach, just sayin'.....
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Bestbuy has a nice sale:

Dell - Inspiron Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2370 - Jet Black - I1525-100B

Inspiron 1525, dual core, 160Gb drive, $499.
CFB, thank you soooooo much for posting this link. Yes, they are sold out online, but we were able to call around and found a store that had 3 that just came in off the truck. The very nice saleslady is holding one for us until 3 p.m. tomorrow. Can't wait to get my new laptop!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Cool, let us know how you like it. I havent tried out a 1525 before.

Killer set of features for the money. One of the reviews I saw said it came with the media center remote control, and vista premium has the MCE feature built in. Get a USB tv tuner and hook it up to your cable tv and you've got a DVR!

I've been tinkering with a free product called tversity. Run it on your computer and it'll transcode or convert any video/photo/music format on the fly and serve it over your home network to most of the current game consoles or some directv receivers. I've got Gabes youtube firetruck videos, all of our video, photos and music tied into my xbox 360 and both of our directv boxes so we can call them up on the tv.

Pretty amazing having a computer pulling down internet video, scrunching it up and spitting it back out to a tv set downstairs...

Microsoft is beta testing a directv tuner box for MCE that'll have all the same features.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #74

Quote:
Cool, let us know how you like it. I havent tried out a 1525 before.

Killer set of features for the money. One of the reviews I saw said it came with the media center remote control, and vista premium has the MCE feature built in. Get a USB tv tuner and hook it up to your cable tv and you've got a DVR!

I've been tinkering with a free product called tversity. Run it on your computer and it'll transcode or convert any video/photo/music format on the fly and serve it over your home network to most of the current game consoles or some directv receivers. I've got Gabes youtube firetruck videos, all of our video, photos and music tied into my xbox 360 and both of our directv boxes so we can call them up on the tv.

Pretty amazing having a computer pulling down internet video, scrunching it up and spitting it back out to a tv set downstairs...

Microsoft is beta testing a directv tuner box for MCE that'll have all the same features.
Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Picked it up today and typing on it as we speak. It is sweeeeet!

Haven't digested all the new features yet...that'll take me a while. So happy to have a new laptop. My old one (bless her heart) was 8 years old and runnin' so sloooooow. Now I can truly appreciate my hi-speed internet connection.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Another Dell 15" for $499...

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Anti-Glare Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
8X CD/DVD+RW Read and Burn CD and DVD
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
80GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Skimpy hard drive, but good video and ram. Bump to 120gb drive for cheap, but most of the other upgrades are expensive.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Another Dell 15" for $499...

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Anti-Glare Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
8X CD/DVD+RW Read and Burn CD and DVD
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
80GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Skimpy hard drive, but good video and ram. Bump to 120gb drive for cheap, but most of the other upgrades are expensive.
Thanks CFB. I plan to order this one today with the larger hard drive. I missed out on the Best Buy deal the other day but really wanted to stick with XP so this one is better for me anyway.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #77

Is this cheap enough?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img021.jpg (42.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Is this cheap enough?
Ya but it doesn't do my email or pay my bills electronically for me while Im on the road.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Is this cheap enough?
Does it have an onsite warranty?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #80

Quote:
Does it have an onsite warranty?
I’m not sure about any warranty but I have retrieved some notes about apartment shopping from 1970 so it has provided reliable service for a long time.
(University Realty had an apartment for rent on South Pugh Street for $150 a month.)
I’m not too savvy technically but this device does seem to employ a form of paged memory.