Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
4 x 160GB drives = 540gb of storage - what are you storing on theses things?
They're mirrored so it's 2x160.

But they're striped too so they're really fast.

I'm storing virtual machines. Basically, my host computer is running 2 virtual operating systems plus I have a couple more stored for other specific work.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buy the Acer Extensa EX5620-4025 15.4" Widescreen Laptop and other Laptop computers at circuitcity.com

Not bad. A dual core 1GB/120GB vista premium acer for $449.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #143

Be careful about Acer... when I was researching laptops they seemed to have significantly higher than average quality and service issues.

But they do have some great deals.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had good experience with geeks.com a lot of "refurbs" are repackages of returns.

Cheap Laptops, Discount Laptops, Notebook Computers, Laptop Computers, Refurbished Laptops, at Geeks.com
Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Vostro 1500 15.4".

Some actually cheap upgrades to this. Core 2 duo upgrade for free, an extra gb of ram for $25, upgrade from the cd writer to the dvd writer for $15, and get a 120gb hard drive instead of 80 for $5.

Looks like you could tweak up a pretty good machine for $449-499.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Costco - ACER Extensa EX5620-4025 15.4" W IntelĀ® T2370 1GB RAM 120GB HDD

Not bad if you're a costco member. Intel dual core, 1gb ram, 120gb hard drive, 15.4" screen, dvd DL writer, vista premium for $499.

Whats nice is you get a 90 day no questions asked return, 2 years full warranty, and costco gives you the tech support through their concierge service so you dont have to deal with cruddy tech support.

Only thing thats not good is the 2 hour reported battery life. Thats a little weak.

Not super cheap, but readily available and maybe a good choice for someone who wants to try it and be able to take it back and be well supported in the warranty and technical question area.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #147

Well its not that cheap but helped daughter buy a Dell 1525 3gig ram 160 HD 15.4 3 year at home warranty - with alumni discount - $875 complete.

Dell and others have educational discounts - with Dell you can be a student, a parent, work at a school, or an alumni. Here's a link to my computer shopping experience including the Dell vs Apple decision.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Newegg.com - Acer Extensa EX5620-4025 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T2370(1.73GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 667 120GB HDD DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X3100 - Laptops / Notebooks

Use code "EMCAGBKAH" for $50 off bringing it to $400.

Not too shabby for a basement price.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

I made the mistake of making a side-by-side comparison of my E1505 with DW's refurbished $399 Inspiron 1525. Her screen is way brighter and better. Until then, I liked mine.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Everything looks great until you put it in a side by side comparison.

So...dont do that!

The basic Dell screens are pretty mundane compared to some of the entry screens from toshiba and acer. Its not a bad idea to bump a notch or two for $50-75 where available.

But if you dont put it next to another computer, you'll probably never notice.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I made the mistake of making a side-by-side comparison of my E1505 with DW's refurbished $399 Inspiron 1525. Her screen is way brighter and better. Until then, I liked mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Everything looks great until you put it in a side by side comparison.

So...dont do that!

The basic Dell screens are pretty mundane compared to some of the entry screens from toshiba and acer. Its not a bad idea to bump a notch or two for $50-75 where available.

But if you dont put it next to another computer, you'll probably never notice.
Sorry - don't understand above -Acer is better than Dell ? Or other way around ? I'm looking at the Acer. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

My experience has been that the basic screens that acer and toshiba use are of the "better" quality, while Dell (in their bargain slabs) often use a "good" screen with the options for "better" and "best" for a small kick in the price.

I really liked my wifes E1705 screen until I set it next to my 17" acer's screen, then I noticed the acer was a little crisper.

Check the resolutions, the type of screen, and other info to make sure you've got an apples to apples comparison.

Then rest assured that unless you set one next to the other, that all modern first tier-ish laptops are going to have a pretty readable and usable screen.

If you've got really bad eyes, presbyopia (or whatever that religion is that Martha is always suggesting I join), you're setting page type or other specific eye issues, then looking for a higher resolution, higher quality screen might be in order.

Otherwise, dont sweat it.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

The cooling fan on my 4+ YO Toshiba Satellite has started making a noise. It's intermittent now, and not loud at all, but this can't be a good sign. It looks like a used fan will be about $35 (plus shipping), and a new one is $90. The repair procedure looks complex ("pry off x to access Y . . . be careful not to ") with plenty of potential for a poor outcome. My present plan is to backup the info on my HD and start looking for a replacement machine. Any guesses on likely longevity given a fan with intermittent growling would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Somewhere between 5 minutes and 14 years.

Take a shop vac (or regular one if you arent equipped) and find what looks like the inflow vents on the bottom, sides or back...apply the vacuum liberally with the power to the notebook off.

Then do the same for where the air blows out.

The bigger the vac the better. You oughta hear the fans spinning backwards inside the case.

Vacuum the keyboard good too. Some notebooks draw air through the keyboard. At a minimum you might have a half pound of skin cells, dust and animal hair in there.

The good news is there are a ton of great laptop deals around...so many I havent even bothered posting any.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

If you like toshibas, walmart has one for <$400. 120GB/2GB, dvd writer, 15.4" screen. No idea what cpu is in it. At that price it might be a single proc celeron.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Or you could try one of these...

Toshiba Launches First Cell CPU-based Laptop - HotHardware

Toshiba 18.4" notebook with a core 2 duo AND a PS3 quad core cell processor handling the graphics and multimedia. A mere $1549 base price.

Just watch that "gesture control" while on e-r.org...
Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Not too shabby...
Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel&#174; Pentium&#174; Dual-Core Processor T2390 - Onyx Blue - L305-S5875

Toshiba, dual core, 3gb, 200gb, dvd writer, good screen and keyboard, $499.

Good reviews, not too heavy for a 15.4"er
Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a huge fan of Compaq machines, but if price is your primary consideration...

On sunday Office Depot will have a Compaq 15.4" laptop, pentium dual core, 2gb ram, 160gb hard drive, dvd writer for $399 after two mail in rebates. I think its $549 in-store.

You might want to get there early, or go get it now and go back on sunday and price match it...check with the store manager to make sure you can do that first. Sometimes these el cheapo sunday circular items are only stocked @ 1-3 items and they're hidden away until the store opens.

For $100 more, a better machine and no rebates, that Toshiba machine in my last post is still available.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

For $100 more, a better machine and no rebates, that Toshiba machine in my last post is still available.

I have a Toshiba and absolutely love it .
Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Generally pretty good machines. Good keyboards and screens. Structural integrity can be questionable at times...I've had a couple that when you picked them up they flexed an awful lot...but nothing bad ever came of it.

Stomper of a machine for $499. A bit better than the bog standard Dell machines for about the same price.