Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
Be careful about Acer... when I was researching laptops they seemed to have significantly higher than average quality and service issues.

But they do have some great deals.
I had an Acer. There are two glaring design faults. One is that Acer chooses too use way to many little screws that come loose. Two is that the hinge is plastic and easy to damage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some older acers were garbagy. I'm using a 17" one right now. Not bad, the case is pretty solid, it has a very good screen and keyboard, and I havent had any trouble with it even after more than a year of regular use and Gabe 'working' on it. The hinge is ridiculously solid...I have to use both hands to pry it open. For $599 for a 17" dual core machine with 2gb ram, 160gb hard drive and all the bells and whistles I cant complain.

Since Acer bought up some of the smaller, less financially happy companies such as gateway and packard bell, they've improved their quality. Much of it is close to Dell inspiron build quality...not as good as the latitude, the thinkpads or some of the sonys but good enough for home use for 3-4 years.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #163

watch slickdeals and fatwallet as the holidays near....lots of great deals every few weeks....i almost grabbed a gateway from best buy, but will keep pushing this acer along til it dies....only been 2 yrs and its close
Old 09-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

The "old fashioned" basic EEE...this is the 2gb/512mb/linux 7" version, $219...cheap enough for a 'why not?' road appliance...

Asus Eee PC 2G Surf - Intel Mobile CPU, 802.11bg Wireless, 512MB DDR2, 2GB SSD, 7" WVGA, Linux (Galaxy Black) EEEPC2GS-BK003 at TigerDirect.com

The more substantial 1000 model with a 10" screen, atom processor, 80 gb hard drives and windows XP have been popping up around $409-419 on sale since the 160gb version is coming out. Watch fatwallet for the daily clearances...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Some older acers were garbagy. I'm using a 17" one right now. Not bad, the case is pretty solid, it has a very good screen and keyboard, and I havent had any trouble with it even after more than a year of regular use and Gabe 'working' on it. The hinge is ridiculously solid...I have to use both hands to pry it open. For $599 for a 17" dual core machine with 2gb ram, 160gb hard drive and all the bells and whistles I cant complain.

Since Acer bought up some of the smaller, less financially happy companies such as gateway and packard bell, they've improved their quality. Much of it is close to Dell inspiron build quality...not as good as the latitude, the thinkpads or some of the sonys but good enough for home use for 3-4 years.
I'm OK with your home use caveat. I carried mine 2005 Acer to school for a year, and I destroyed it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Yep, if you're going to travel with a notebook, get a latitude or a stinkpad and pay the price.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

For travel I'd get the asus eeepc 1000H for $449 . 10" screen, 80g hd, 6 cell battery that last a long time, bluetooth, win xp, and it's only about 3 lbs. Most of the other ultra portables come with a smaller battery. Anyone have one of these? Seems like the perfect travel computer.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #168
Dryer sheet wannabe

JB:

Close to pulling trigger on the 1000h as well. My Acer lappie's about to bite the dust (2 good years, big screen, nice desktop replacement, but just 1 hr battery life [ouch])

Reviews on NewEgg for 1000h are dang good.

Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC 1000H 80G Fine Ebony NetBook Intel Atom 10.0" Wide SVGA 1GB Memory 80GB HDD Integrated Graphics - Laptops / Notebooks

Thought about Dell's new Mini 9 (apparently well designed), but has no hard drive, and once you configure mini 9 with XP tis about the same as 1000h.

Will let y'all know if/when i get my 1000h.

- Stoop
Old 09-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

As I mentioned above, those have been popping up for ~$409 here and there. Zipzoomfly had them for $409 yesterday and the day before, but they're sold out now.

Being clearanced in favor of the 160gb model coming along. I'm seeing $439 as the lowest current price, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Only thing I'd point out on this model is that the 80gb is a hard drive, not a solid state one, so the vibration/bang proofness of the EEE is not in effect on this model.

People with bad eyes might also want to see one before they buy. Even the 10" model was a bit of a strain for me to read with my glasses on. A complete no-go with them off. I can read my 17" laptop without my glasses. I havent seen the 7 or 8.9" models 'in the flesh' yet, but I'd imagine those are substantially worse for people with older eyes.

One plus for this model is that the ram and hard drive are extremely accessible for replacement and upgrade. Open a panel and there they are.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #170

Hi Stoop, I read those reviews. The 1000H looks like a reasonable balance. I just saw the CFB post above, you might even get it cheaper. I was looking at these when I went to europe in the Spring, but this model wasn't out yet, and I wanted the bigger screen and battery. I'm hoping the dual-core will be out before the next trip. If you get one please report back. JB
Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Only thing I'd point out on this model is that the 80gb is a hard drive, not a solid state one, so the vibration/bang proofness of the EEE is not in effect on this model.
Yeah, while it would be nice to have the SS disk, it also costs a lot more. 40GB SS version with linux is around $600. For me, having the extra capacity to save photos while traveling is worth the durability. Also, I think that the SS drive is implemented in two partitions, which is kind of a hassle.

I have to check the screen as my eyes are not as good as they once were.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Yep, the dual core Atom will be a hell of a processor for mobiles and I expect will find its way into a lot of low power, high performance applications.

The single core Atom isnt too shabby. I hear there are a few larger laptops that may employ it with a full size battery and offer as much as 20-24 hours of run time between charges.

That is, until a year and a half later when the battery craps out :
Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yeah, while it would be nice to have the SS disk, it also costs a lot more. 40GB SS version with linux is around $600. For me, having the extra capacity to save photos while traveling is worth the durability. Also, I think that the SS drive is implemented in two partitions, which is kind of a hassle.

I have to check the screen as my eyes are not as good as they once were.
Yeah, Martha keeps trying to convert me to Presbyterian or some such thing when I talk about my lousy eyes.

I'm interested in one but it'd be for my nearly 4 year old. So I'd want the shock protection

I'd still suggest that for a lot of people an SSD model and using a couple of SD cards or USB sticks to expand the storage as those become cheaper.

Its also cheating that I have an XP Pro full license sitting around that i'm not using...

The Dell units will also be worth a look, and a few other models from HP (etc) will be along shortly. If nothing else I'd expect more capacities and more price breaks from the Asus and MSI camps.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #174

Anyone tried the new Dell 9" model. I was thinking basic system plus external CD/DVD drive, 1 GB Mem, 16 GB SD Drive (I have a lot of 8 to 16 GB Thumb Drives around to supplement the memory), and Ubunto 8.04.1 for a OS. Just a little "toy" to have around for Internet and Email. Cost at the site was $534 plus tax and shipping (-2% from Fat Wallet). Kind of pricey now but will look for discounts in the next few weeks. Seems like a good machine for under $600.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Anyone tried the new Dell 9" model. I was thinking basic system plus external CD/DVD drive, 1 GB Mem, 16 GB SD Drive (I have a lot of 8 to 16 GB Thumb Drives around to supplement the memory), and Ubunto 8.04.1 for a OS. Just a little "toy" to have around for Internet and Email. Cost at the site was $534 plus tax and shipping (-2% from Fat Wallet). Kind of pricey now but will look for discounts in the next few weeks. Seems like a good machine for under $600.
I'm curious about this netbook from Dell too. Nice size & weight for travel...wonder how long the battery will last with a full charge?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

The dell has a 4 cell battery and the Atom processor. Figure somewhere around 2-3 hours depending on settings and what you're doing. For the units that come with a 6 cell battery and the Atom, maybe 4 hours...maybe a bit more.

I see that a bunch of folks have also hacked Mac OSX to run on the EEEPC and a few other models...
Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and check out the Asus 900 or 901

I would wait a bit to buy either model - they just came out in the past two months or so.
If you have a Microcenter near you, you might be able to check them out.

I have the Asus eee 4G - it is almost a throw away unit. I keep files on a SD card. You get used to the screen. So check it out also.

Can't you use your desktop or larger laptop for a cd/dvd drive? Also, can't you load cd/dvd's onto thumb drives?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and check out the Asus 900 or 901

I would wait a bit to buy either model - they just came out in the past two months or so.
If you have a Microcenter near you, you might be able to check them out.

I have the Asus eee 4G - it is almost a throw away unit. I keep files on a SD card. You get used to the screen. So check it out also.

Can't you use your desktop or larger laptop for a cd/dvd drive? Also, can't you load cd/dvd's onto thumb drives?
My M1330 with LED screen and 32 GB SSD can get about 4.5 hours out of the 9 cell DELL Battery. Dell recently released a power scheme that gives better mileage off of the battery (even on the brightest setting). I guess you could skip the external CD Drive but it only adds $85 to the total price.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Eee 1000h

I've had a 1000h for about a month now and I absolutely LOVE it. It is light to carry, the keyboard works fine with my big fingers, and the display is fine for web surfing, etc. even with 50 y.o. eyes. Loaded open office (prefer this to the included star office) and Firefox, and my little road warrior is good to go. I use it when I'm traveling and it's perfect for everything I need to do. May replace DW's aging desktop with one of these (w/ 160 gig HD) one day soon.

BTW, I bought it at Costco.com, and the price dropped $100.00 about 2 weeks afterword. Emailed Costco and they credited me.

Costco and Asus--gotta love them!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of good info at EeeUser ASUS Eee PC Forum There is also a 1000h specific discussion.