Cheap PC just for accessing finanacial information.

landover

Recycles dryer sheets
Due to recent incidents, is it a good idea to convert one of the old PC to linux and used for all sensitive web transactions. I think some software like Quicken/tax software and other will not run on linux, these software can be used on normal PC but try to limit sensitive information on normal PC.

Any thoughts

landover said:
Due to recent incidents, is it a good idea to convert one of the old PC to linux and used for all sensitive web transactions. I think some software like Quicken/tax software and other will not run on linux, these software can be used on normal PC but try to limit sensitive information on normal PC.

Any thoughts
I have two Linux PCs in the basement but I am too lazy to go down there to access financial sites. I like my comfortable perch in the kitchen which is an MS operated PC.

Maybe if you explained what you're trying to accomplish/avoid? If I can hazard a guess, there isnt a lot of reason to believe that a linux machine will be any safer or more secure to do sensitive web transactions, unless the windows machine has been infected with spyware or a virus.

There are some ISO boot disks for linux that would let you boot linux on your regular PC...just stick the dvd or cd in and reboot.

There are also some nice financial packages (largely free) that run on linux and open quicken files...and you can do turbotax online from any browser based machine.

A bit over paranoid IMO. Use the Firefox browser and all should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom