Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap pre-paid cell phone
Old 06-21-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cheap pre-paid cell phone

I am wondering if there are any good pre-paid cell phone companies that cover both East and West Coasts, as I am back and forth between Florida, Arizona and California. I currently have AT&T, because it has coverage in all these area. However, I find I don't use the phone all that much, and at $69.99 a month, it is an expense I'd like to cut. I know there's a number of new offerings out there now with pre-paids.

Has anyone found a good deal on one?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cheap pre-paid cell phone
Old 06-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter
I am wondering if there are any good pre-paid cell phone companies that cover both East and West Coasts, as I am back and forth between Florida, Arizona and California. I currently have AT&T, because it has coverage in all these area. However, I find I don't use the phone all that much, and at $69.99 a month, it is an expense I'd like to cut. I know there's a number of new offerings out there now with pre-paids.

Has anyone found a good deal on one?
Check out tracfone http://www.tracfone.com/
I will be travelling to AZ fairly soon and needed a cell (my 1st) so based on their popularity, broad coverage, no roaming charges (the plan I selected) and cost, I went with them.
I purchased their 19.99 special free phone with 20 minutes and 60 minutes. I got a referral and i'm getting 120 minutes more. If you are interested and want to purchase their service, I can refer you as well, we both can get 120 minutes each. PM me if you are interested.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #3

I second tracfone. Nationwide coverage for roaming and long distance. Good call quality and reception even for the el cheapo free phone (in my area at least).
Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

tracfone is quite good, but coverage might be spotty in some places.
Another cheap alternative is virgin mobile (but also somewhat spotty in the boonies GSM only coverage) - good for emergency or low usage phones. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #5

The best low use cell phone topic was discussed ad nauseum in this thread:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=4113.0