Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap printer ink here!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cheap printer ink here!

The last time I had to run to Target to purchase printer ink (area of 400,000, but very limited in resources), I paid about $60.00 (yes, I said sixty dollars) for one black and one color cartridge.
So, I looked on the net, searched ratings and review sites, and found this company: 1800emart.com. I purchased 3 black and 2 color cartridges for $18!!! Huge savings and no difference in the ink that I can tell. Very fast shipping, also.

1800emart.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're probably going to find that it isn't worth the savings. Sorry for the bad news, but I've tried multiple non-HP cartridges (e.g. Abacus.com) and have had some major problems. I've got a big black stain under the printer that demonstrates one of them.

Main problems:

Ink won't flow, you need run the cleaning cycle 10 times, plus put the cartridges on wet paper.

Leaking

Poor printing.

Bad color.

Now I only use HP cartridges, but get a discount at staples, and get $3 for empties. I also try to print as infrequently as possible, and use draft mode for non-critical stuff.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

remanufactured ink destroyed my epson printer. never again... i wont even use staples refills.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I get all my ink cartridges at Megatoners.com. Clearly, the cheapest, and easiest way to get new ink. Not any name brands, but drastically less money than Target. Haven't had problem one with them.
Den26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I found the same website several years ago after the same type experience with inkjet inks but now am a member of the once burned twice shy club for discount inks. I ruined 2 printers and now use only OEM ink. No problems ever. I am going to try the Kodak printer next time I need a new one. They advertise 1/2 the usage of ink and lower prices on their ink refills too.
2fer
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You're probably going to find that it isn't worth the savings. Sorry for the bad news, but I've tried multiple non-HP cartridges (e.g. Abacus.com) and have had some major problems. I've got a big black stain under the printer that demonstrates one of them.

Main problems:

Ink won't flow, you need run the cleaning cycle 10 times, plus put the cartridges on wet paper.

Leaking

Poor printing.

Bad color.

Now I only use HP cartridges, but get a discount at staples, and get $3 for empties. I also try to print as infrequently as possible, and use draft mode for non-critical stuff.
Hey Al,

Wasn't it you that was using Carrot Ink? I didn't go back & research, but I was thinking it was you who posted the tip about Carrot Ink dot com awhile back. I tried them out & had good luck, and just ordered some more from them a couple days ago, for my Epson Stylus Color 880.

Marty

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm still working on the giant color laser I bought over 3 years ago for $399, on the original toner cartridges. Maybe four more years to go before I need to replace it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a cheap laser about 3 years ago too, on CFB's recommendation. I also am still working on the first toner cartridge.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Color laser is the only way to go for those time- and mission-critical applications like high-school science projects and English papers...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

What I liked about it is that it can sit there for six months and after I blow the cat hair out of it, it purrs right up and prints 30 pages for me in about 45 seconds.

Makes a hell of a racket though. All that toner cartridge changing, whirring and clicking.

I havent looked at them lately but Dell was selling a refurbished high end color laser for something like $500-600ish. Came with a set of 10,000 page toner cartridges.

That'd last me TOO long though. In 2019 I'd get my new desktop with the super eSata XXMVI five billion bit per second printer connections and there I'd be with a stupid USB 2.0 printer...

Just...do...not...put any glossy inkjet coated paper into one unless its laser rated. My wife somehow found a handful of sheets of the stuff and poked it into the printer. Melted the paper and now every once in a while we get a little bit of goo out of it stuck to a fresh print.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Hey Al,

I tried them out & had good luck, and just ordered some more from them a couple days ago, for my Epson Stylus Color 880.

Marty
I have that same printer. How did the printing compare to using the Epson ink? We don't print a lot. I bought this printer for printing photos but we don't do very much of that anymore, I found that it was worth it to have photos printed on real photo paper at Walgreens or WalMart. So I'd love to find a lower cost solution to supporting this printer's ink. No matter where I go, the black is $29 and the color is $25.

Just yesterday the color cartridge indicator started blinking.......
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #12

Well, so far so good. We shall see. My son paid $20 for this used printer, so....
But next printer is the laser one if that's the best. I would love to buy no ink if possible.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My seven year old HP DeskJet 400 keeps whirring along on Carrotink.com remanufactured cartridges. Probably have gone through a dozen or more of them. I order when they have a sale + free shipping. Never a quality issue. I'm sorry I read this thread. Now I'm worried!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My 13 year old Canon ink Jet BJC-250 is still spittin' em out believe it or not. Most of what I print is for my own use so tip-top quality is not a priority in this case. I have been refilling my own ink jet cartridges for several years now with a kit that I purchased for about $12 from a local inksell.com store. I occasionally purchase the ink for about $5 or so and it is good for about 3 cartridge refills.

I now spend very little on printer ink. This from a guy that used to buy new cartridges at $20 a pop back in the day. Now I pay about $1.50. Quite a savings IMHO.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I have that same printer. How did the printing compare to using the Epson ink? We don't print a lot. I bought this printer for printing photos but we don't do very much of that anymore, I found that it was worth it to have photos printed on real photo paper at Walgreens or WalMart. So I'd love to find a lower cost solution to supporting this printer's ink. No matter where I go, the black is $29 and the color is $25.

Just yesterday the color cartridge indicator started blinking.......

Seems pretty close in quality to me. The color cartridge is 13.95 & the black is 10.95, shipping is 3.95. If you buy a bundle of 3 black/4 color or 4 black, 3 color it's a good bit cheaper, but I don't know what the shelf life on those cartridges would be. I think these last two have lasted me almost a year, so I don't know if I'd want to have them sitting around for a couple years before I used them. I try to do my printing at work as much as possible. Only have black ink there, though.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Instead of buying cartidges, I found an HP inkjet on sale and bought it instead. Turned out to be cheaper.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
The last time I had to run to Target to purchase printer ink (area of 400,000, but very limited in resources), I paid about $60.00 (yes, I said sixty dollars) for one black and one color cartridge.
So, I looked on the net, searched ratings and review sites, and found this company: 1800emart.com. I purchased 3 black and 2 color cartridges for $18!!! Huge savings and no difference in the ink that I can tell. Very fast shipping, also.

1800emart.com
Prices from 1800emart for HP cartridges are very high. New - HP 56 - $22.75; HP 57 - $29.50; HP 58 - $25.75. Remanufactured - HP 56 - $15.25; HP 57 - $19.75. A person can buy new factory cartridges for what 1800emart charges for their remanufactured units.

I have been refilling my cartidges with resoanable success. However, if I let them them get too low they will dry out and need to be replaced with a new unit.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

About $180 for a dell outlet color laser with 1000 page toners. Another $200ish for a set of replacement 2000 page toners.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Well, so far so good. We shall see. My son paid $20 for this used printer, so....
But next printer is the laser one if that's the best. I would love to buy no ink if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
My seven year old HP DeskJet 400 keeps whirring along on Carrotink.com remanufactured cartridges. Probably have gone through a dozen or more of them. I order when they have a sale + free shipping. Never a quality issue. I'm sorry I read this thread. Now I'm worried!
Cheap cartridges have been working for me for years in several printers also.

My Mom's canon get all jammed up using only canon carts. My SIL put in a new print head, I've been buying the cheap carts for her since (several years), and no problems.

I think you can have problems with either, so I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to the cheap carts - might just be chance.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We have been using Carrotink.com for years with success. I have a Canon i350 here on the road and a multifunction printer at home.

The only printer ink problem I have is my cheapo Brother 420CN multifunction printer. It tells me that a cartridge is out and won't print anything, even when I put in a brand-new genuine Brother cartridge. I think a sensor is kaput. Still use it for scanning and faxing out. Slow but cheap.

CFB, thanks for the info on the Dell color laser! Dang! They are getting cheap!