Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap used smart phone
Old 12-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cheap used smart phone

I'm looking to buy a cheap, used smartphone to add to an existing wireless plan. Data isn't a concern because I don't plan on using it for surfing the web. My primary requirements are a quality screen and a micro-SD slot for a high capacity chip to hold a large amount of digital media. Budget is ~$100.

Suggestions of websites that have a decent selection and pricing?

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
I'm looking to buy a cheap, used smartphone to add to an existing wireless plan. Data isn't a concern because I don't plan on using it for surfing the web. My primary requirements are a quality screen and a micro-SD slot for a high capacity chip to hold a large amount of digital media. Budget is ~$100.

Suggestions of websites that have a decent selection and pricing?
If you don't care about the limited apps, a Windows phone might be good. An example from Amazon for $54

Lumia 640 (unlocking instructions here) The display is 720 x 1280 pixels.
These support up to 128GB expansion.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

swappa.com
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like my Samsung Galaxy S3. Prices are definitely below $100 now. Check Amazon or Ebay (mine's from ebay). Not the fanciest phone, but still a very solid choice with good screen, camera, microSD slot, etc. Fast enough for basic tasks.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No experience with them but I've heard good things about https://www.gazelle.com/

I agree with Fuego's comments. I've had a Galaxy S3 for two years and been happy with it. I'm about to replace it with a Galaxy S4, only because I took advantage of a cyber Monday deal and will get it free.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I agree with Fuego's comments. I've had a Galaxy S3 for two years and been happy with it. I'm about to replace it with a Galaxy S4, only because I took advantage of a cyber Monday deal and will get it free.
Let me know if you find the S4 significantly faster/better. I saw it for $100 (same price as my S3 1.5 years ago) on BF/Cyber Monday through my cell provider but didn't go for it (who's got that kind of money ). I wouldn't mind turning my S3 into my DW's or daughter's phone if there were a compelling reason to upgrade.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have this one and it does everything I need for under $50 new on Amazon;
Amazon.com: BLU Advance 4.0L Unlocked Smartphone -US GSM - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon has a generous return policy too.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Just bought a Motorola Moto E (new AT&T version, though Verizon versions were cheaper) for $50 from Best Buy. There are frequently good phones available you just need to search.