Cheap Wine Recommendations

bongo2

Recycles dryer sheets
What are some favorite cheap ($4-7ish) wines? There's a sale going on and I'd like to find a couple things that I like and stock-up. Unfortunately, I can't try them all before the sale ends, so I'm going to have to narrow it down to just a few. Any opinions on some of these brands?

Banrock Station
Barefoot
Smoking Loon
Lindemens
Peperwood
Bolla
Black Opal
Jacob's Creek
Rosemount
Yellow Tail
Blackstone
Sutter Home
Columbia Crest Two Vines

We've tried and enjoyed these ones from your list:

Lindemens [bin 45]
Black Opal
Rosemount [shiraz]
Yellow Tail
Sutter Home
Columbia Crest Two Vines

... and, of course, 2-buck check if you have a Tiger Joes handy. Also, Red Truck, Parallel 45 among others. Enjoy.

I have been know to buy the Black Opal by the case and toss it into the wine cooler. I am particularly fond of the Aussie wines and enjoy those from Sout America as well.

I had all of them on your list. I think the Yellowtail reds offer the best value.

I buy it by the Trunkload

Have to admit. I enjoy the Yellowtails. Once in awhile I can get Bogle Petite Sirah onsale for 8.99 which is some really good stuff.

Of the ones you list (that I am familiar with), the Lindemens is probably the best. If you want to spend a few bucks more, however, a lot of very good options become available.

Mwinron is right on Bogle. I would pick up any of their reds if you can get them for 8.99. And if you have a Costco near by, they have a Pascual Toso Malbec in right now (at least where I am) that is really very good for about $8.00.

I am a Yellow Tail fan.

The only other ones I have tried on your list are Sutter Home and Barefoot. Sutter Home is ok, but I don't like Barefoot at all.

Find Terra Australis Vineyards Shiraz. I get it at Trader joe's for 4.99 a bottle. Very good.

Thanks all. Sounds like Yellow Tail and Black Opal are the favorites and I will look for the Bogle. Trader Joe's is enough out of my way that I've never been there, but if there are some good $4.95 wines then I will have to try it out.

Sorry... I can't resist :D :D :D

Nothing cheaper than not buying it or drinking it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Drink more beer!

Of course, I must admit... DW would disagree. ;)

It has occurred to me that very good beer is about the same price as very cheap wine, but DW likes the vino, and I like the variety.

My favorite is St. Francis -- YUM ; When it is on sale, I always get a case.

Lindemans Bin 40 Merlot...must have gone through 20 cases in the past 3 years.

Heron Merlot. About $10/bottle at a discount store. Their Chardonnay is good too.

Let's see.....I don't really drink wine these days, just a beer or margarita once in awhile, but back when I was a teenager, I seem to recall sampling some of the "finer" wines of that time, like Boone's Farm, TJ Swan, Jug Strawberry Wine etc.! :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the Bogle red wine recommendation. I tried a bottle of petite sirah and it was very nice.

martyb said:
Let's see.....I don't really drink wine these days, just a beer or margarita once in awhile, but back when I was a teenager, I seem to recall sampling some of the "finer" wines of that time, like Boone's Farm, TJ Swan, Jug Strawberry Wine etc.! :LOL: :LOL:

MD 20/20
Ripple

I don't recall the exact name of the wine that the gentleman was drinking out of that brown paper bag however, the last thing that I heard him say as they carried him away in the EMS vehicle was "I don't know how they make a profit on this stuff at a dollar a bottle."

Thanks for the recommendations all. We had a little party with some friends and some blind tasting. The cheap wine that went over the best was. . .Charles Shaw (aka "two buck chuck").

Back
Top Bottom