Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
....Looks like tomorrow she has to present her side as to what happened.
Any word on how her meeting went?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Any word on how her meeting went?
Haven't heard anything yet. She's actually taking finals this week. I'm sure when I talk to my brother (her dad), in a day or two probably, that will be the first topic we'll talk about.

I guess in the meantime, no news is good news

Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
You must have alot of patience if you "teach" students like him.
Well they all pay tuition, good students and bad. And the money from each group spends the same.

Ha
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Well, I got a call from my brother today. I asked him about how things went with his daughter. Looks like it's "to be continued..." Ends up the school administrator who is supposed to hear the case is out of town, away from school. This is finals week and the school is out for the summer so not until next semester will this continue.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Well, I got a call from my brother today. I asked him about how things went with his daughter. Looks like it's "to be continued..." Ends up the school administrator who is supposed to hear the case is out of town, away from school. This is finals week and the school is out for the summer so not until next semester will this continue.
"Time wounds alll heels"

Old 05-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmm - I remember working in groups to do homework, etc, so the homework would look similar, but not very often getting access to previous exams - and I went to a public suniversity. However, Dad had gone to West Point and drilled that honor code into me, so I tended to shy away from any cheating (I tend to get caught breaking rules in general for some reason - not a very good liar, I guess).

I was also a TA and graded student homework for several different classes. I remember one time I caught three students blatantly cheating - it was for a numerical analysis class and they had to turn in a computer program - they didn't even bother to change their names on the program - just copied, so basically, whoever the guy was that did the work, the others only changed the name of the file, not the information in the program - very stupid. When I told the professor, he was very serious about dealing with this and quite angry - I was a bit blase, I guess, as I knew people did that a lot. I figured it would affect them later when they actually had to use the information someday.

For graduate school, I read everything and did every homework problem, etc. I was a sponge and loved what I was studying. I still remember most of the information I studied in grad school and it's 20 years later.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in college in the early 90s, and was shocked when I found out the frats had files of old tests. I was studying with a few frat and sorority types - actually, I was tutoring, and I was shocked at how poorly they were doing with some basic math (graph an equation). But I thought I had them understanding.

The next day when we sat down for test it was word for word the same test. I was shocked, but got a 100%. I was stunned that none of my tutoree's matched my grade. I think they did high 80s, but still. Guess I wasn't that great a tutor.

Turns out this prof was famous for not updating his tests. I only saw that one test, but I was one of the only ones to get an A in the class.

I guess I should have joined a frat at that point, but really wasn't my style.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Update on the original post.

Good news! Got a call from my brother today. The guy who tricked my niece into providing him with school labs "sang like a canary" to the school authorities and fessed up. My niece and her friend (another one who this guy tricked) is 100% cleared from any wrongdoing.

Didn't even need the email which I helped my niece recover from her deleted messages. I'm sure she is a bit more cautious now -- can't believe everything she reads. Sad in a sense -- wiser, but innocence lost.

I'm happy that it all turned out right
Old 07-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #29

That's great that it all turned out ok. I'm sure she will be more cautious....good thing he confessed.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #30

I am happy her name was cleared.

I was taking an undergraduate computer science weeder class about 1993. It was not a required class for me, a physics major, but I knew my future was in computers.

I handed in an electronic assignment. Apparently, several students had copied almost verbatim my computer program, I had printed out a slightly non-working version to study it when I was doing some last minute modifications -- I threw the printout in the trash can.

The professor announced to the class about a week later that there was a cheating episode in the class, discovered by a program that electronically compares all the assignments, and that the following students should report to a meeting, and my name was one of the names. I was shocked because I was getting an A+ in the class. I quickly figured out that my work had been copied. The Teaching Assistants had daily backups of everyone's file system, and when reconstructed a couple of days later, saw that I had actually created a working copy of the solution on the day the homework was assigned, over a week before this incident. And so I was completely cleared and it was clear that my assignment was the original source.

As far as I know, the other students (I think about 5), only got an F on that assignment even though they were caught red-handed. The teaching assistants later showed me the code turned in by the others, and it was almost funny, these guys literally could not program their way out of a paper bag.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

When I was in school, I knew about the frat crib files, but never used them, not being a frat boy. No study groups either. Had to make it on my own, with a little paid tutoring for physical chemistry (for the test question: derive the Schroedinger equation for hydrogen ).

Intellectual cheating is a touchy subject for me.

Once upon a time, a new hire took credit for some original and rather creative test work that I did. He is now president of the company. I also discovered (by doing the math, trying to duplicate the results because I had to do design based on that data) that the SIL of the old president dry-labbed some published testing for a major client, but I never disclosed it. I left them long ago.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much for posting the update, ES. I am sure your niece feels quite relieved to not have to worry about the whole situation! A valuable lesson learned the hard way.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

You're welcome. That is good news indeed. From what my brother told me, the school had sent her a letter saying that she was 100% cleared and the guy had confessed. As I like to say, he sung like a canary