Join Early Retirement Today

Check out this Almost Perfect Postal Money Order..
Old 04-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #1

Check out this Almost Perfect Postal Money Order..

This was a scam that I followed up on for fun and to try to nail the Bastard. I was selling an item and this guy offered to buy it from England.

I suspected it was a Scam, because he wanted to send me an extra amount of money to cover shipping and then I was to promptly forward the refund to him.

When I received the Postal Money Orders from Fed-Ex Intl, they looked like the real deal to me. I immediately took them to the post office and they confirmed that they were counterfeit. The only thing that was wrong was a imperfect watermark and a Shadow of a metallic thread instead of the thread itself.

Pretty realistic though. - I spent about a half hour filling out the fraud papers at the Post Office. - Most of these come from London England. I received 3 of these, all for $980 made out to me. I'm glad I at least wasted this guys's time and money! 8)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Check out this Almost Perfect Postal Money Ord
Old 04-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Man C-T, that looks authentic! BTW, I am still getting the "Nigerian scam letters" 30 years after I received
my first. Interesting. And, why always Nigeria?
And, are there really people dumb enough to fall for this?
(just kidding about that. We know the answer)

JG

Old 04-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lets gather up these fake money orders and send them to the nigerian spammers.

Maybe they'll get locked in a tight scamming loop and finish each other off...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Lets gather up these fake money orders and send them to the nigerian spammers.

Maybe they'll get locked in a tight scamming loop and finish each other off...
My guess is that these are the Nigerians. Check out the e-mail that I got immediately before receiving the Money orders.

Quote:
hello,
good day to you,
the funds was sent through FEDEX!!
i will appreciate it if you could cash the money order today so in other to be able to send the funds to the shipper today,the shipper have also instructed that he would like the funds sent to the following information,here is it below,,,,,,,,,,,,?
name,,,,,,,,OLUGBENGA SODIPO
location,,,,,,,LONDON UNITED KINGDOM
test question ,,,,,WHAT CLOUR?
answer,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUE.
you will also send the MTCN(MONEY TRANSFER CONTROL NUMBER 10 DIGIT).the charges for the transfer will be deducted from the funds you will send to the shipper after you musty have deducted your charges,you will also send the exact amount sent after the western uniuon charges.thanks.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I were you I'd be a little bit upset about being called 'musty'...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Were they hoping you would send the item & extra shipping refund before cashing the money order or would there have been a lag time in detecting the fake money order if you had taken them to the bank instead of the PO ?

Good job in catching this !!!!

-helen
Old 04-24-2005, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Were they hoping you would send the item & extra shipping refund before cashing the money order or would there have been a lag time in detecting the fake money order if you had taken them to the bank instead of the PO ?

Good job in catching this !!!!

-helen
Yup, that is exactly the way this scam works. If you send them any difference in shipping, they've got their money.