Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excellent interview. A good man, and also a realistic one.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Did someone post that Saddam was only an asshole? Geez gas and torture you own people only gets you an asshole label. Getting soft.
I was thinking the same thing........ While my personal feelings disagree with GWB ref the Iraq war, I do remember the situation with Sadamn, his booting out the weapons inspectors, his brutal policies and the mass deaths that resulted, his boasting of WMD, etc., as more than him being an a**hole. I think he's being inappropriately trivialized here.

My own feelings are that had the war been avoided, something else very significant would have had to be done with Sadamn before long.

Again, I'm not a supporter of the war. But I'm not one who writes off Sadamn as just an a**hole we could just forget about either.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I was thinking the same thing........ While my personal feelings disagree with GWB ref the Iraq war, I do remember the situation with Sadamn, his booting out the weapons inspectors, his brutal policies and the mass deaths that resulted, his boasting of WMD, etc., as more than him being an a**hole. I think he's being inappropriately trivialized here.

My own feelings are that had the war been avoided, something else very significant would have had to be done with Sadamn before long.

Again, I'm not a supporter of the war. But I'm not one who writes off Sadamn as just an a**hole we could just forget about either.
People remember what they want I suppose.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry Colin Powell didn't run for President, a real centrist, with a great resume, and an impressive speaker.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am sorry Colin Powell didn't run for President, a real centrist, with a great resume, and an impressive speaker.
Maybe if Mr. Obama wins the Democratic nomination he will pick Mr. Powell to run as his Vice President.

The possible selection of Mr. Powell would offset any perceived advantage
that Mr. McCain would have on military and foreign policies.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Maybe if Mr. Obama wins the Democratic nomination he will pick Mr. Powell to run as his Vice President.

The possible selection of Mr. Powell would offset any perceived advantage
that Mr. McCain would have on military and foreign policies.

GOD BLESS US ALL
That would be an inspired choice, but Colin is a Republican and I am not he would take it. More importantly I don't think his wife would feel much safer if he was the first black VP vs the first Black president.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, I haven't read Goodwin's book on this score. I'll add it to my long list of Civil War/Reconstruction books that I plan to read in retirement. You raise some good points about public opinion regarding the Civil War; and your interpretation is not a far stretch; after all, the invasion by Lee into Pennsylvania in 1863 might have been premised on the idea that bringing the War on "Northern soil," if coupled with a Confederate battlefield victory, might have turned most public opinion against Lincoln and continuation of the War effort.

Thanks for the discussion.
I thank both you and clifp for your discussion on this subject. I have found it very interesting to read.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Bush could have dumped Tenet... not much different keeping him than appointing him.

Look. All of the comparisons with Dems in the world does not change one fact. Bush pushed hard to invade and he was wrong. Even Colin Powell admits it. Powell views it as a blot on his career (as stated in an interview).

Bush was overzealous and made a bad decision. It has already come out that he would not listen to people that had points of view that did not conform to his desire to invade.

So... It is fair. He is getting the credit he deserves - and it is very negative.

i think he gets the credit he deserves also.

the more irritating sub issue
to me, is all this talk about how GWB or Cheney or whomever
somehow masterfully hoodwinked the good american public into going along
with all of this. Sorry, but Everyone tooling around w/ their american flags
waving from their cars at the time didn't give me that impression at all.
i think we should all take a collective look in the mirror when it comes
to all the criticism going on..
Old 03-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
No doubt about it, you are a world class "armchair quarterback".
Your argument is so compelling. Geez, after all of the raucous debate you step forward as a tower of intellect and have helped me to see so clearly the error in my opinions.

But I have to tell you. You need to work on your debating style. Nothing like a load of insults layered on top of derogatory assumptions to convince someone they are wrong.

It is election season you know. You and I do not have to agree. That is the great thing about the US. But we can both express our view in the voting booth.

Hey... I am a former Marine also. Semper Fi. I will leave off the spew of profanity (Marine Corps style) for the sake of the other people on the board ...

One point of clarification - I do not do this posting at work. Matter of fact, at work... I work, pretty hard I might add.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately for all. That war was a mistake. There have been a number of insiders that have gone public about the GWB rush to war.

Powell admits (in hind sight) there was not justification for the US to go into Iraq. They put the decision off on faulty intel. The intel was faulty intel... I think they got trapped into a collective group think trap... Intel is often fuzzy, people try to interpolate and extrapolate meaning. When the so called "proof" is not fairly obvious and they are trying to interpret it... which way does one lean when considering invading a country that is not an immediate threat. It seems to me one should have enough proof to be correct. It is obvious the information was wrong.

Here is another insider. Bush Sought ‘Way’ To Invade Iraq?, O'Neill Tells '60 Minutes' Iraq Was 'Topic A' 8 Months Before 9-11 - CBS News

These are credible people. Do you really think it is all a big lie?

If you step back and look... it is fairly obvious.

Some would way that Saddam was a monster and should have been removed anyway. I cannot argue that point... he was. I cannot argue with the logic that it would be good to remove him from power. It seems logical, it appears moral. But the world has many others just like him. Are you ready to invade those countries?

About all we did was topple one side and create a civil war where the violent struggle for power will continue for years. It will take decades to establish a real democracy. If we leave early, there will likely only be sham elections to keep the group in control in power.

Here is the test. It is not perfect logic (rhetoric ), but it attempts to make the point.
  • Are you willing to pay for it in money. For example:
    • Would you write a $100k check out of your assets to fund an invasion of Iraq (not talking taxes... out of your bank account). I would not.
    • Would you write a $100k check out of your assets to fund the protection of the US if an army of 200k troops were headed for the US... You bet I would. Because all would be lost if we were conquered.
  • Are you willing to pay for it with blood... Not someone else, but you! Or perhaps your son or daughters life or well being... maimed for life. Or... Would you actively encourage your child to go give their life for this cause?
This puts a different slant on it if you think about it on personal terms. How many tyrants are we prepared to remove from power?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
Well, no actually we voted Gore into office and then a "fast one" was pulled.

Bush's war is to make him, Cheney, and their rich friends richer. It has nothing to do with anything they have claimed. They have been proven to be bold-faced liars and they aren't even pretending any longer.

5 Stars to you Zoey, I feel the same way...but too many don't believe it and think Florida which is where it happend... was all up and up...that is also where they used to like to sell you some swamp land