Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cheney Shoots, Scores
Old 02-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #21

The best part of this was being able to tell someone who hadn't heard the news.

"The vice president, Dick Cheney, shot somebody."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Cue Tom Lehrer's Hunting Song:
http://www.casualhacker.net/tom.lehr...d.html#hunting

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sheesh.* It was a minor hunting accident.* I've been pelted by shot from another hunter during quail season.* Every hunter's nightmare, that such an accident could happen. But they happen. Every sport carries some risk.

It is fun to kid about, but we're also seeing the typical pot shots [so to speak ] on gun "control" again, by the liberals.* Like Sarah and Jim Brady's comments ...

I agree with the sentiment above re: Kennedy ... I'd also rather hunt with Dick Cheney, than have Bill Clinton near my wife ...
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... Turning and shooting without looking...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Theres a joke in here somewhere about cheney and clinton both shooting...nah...not gonna do it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
you would think that they guys would have enough money to have a good bird dog or maybe they shot it earlier in the day
Right on maddy! This was not a birddog in the field hunt. This was a bloody mary hunt. You're driven around in a Hummer and let out at "hot spots" to take your best potshot...what could go wrong? :
Old 02-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

[img width=612 height=750]http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0213061cheney1.gif[/img]
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I remember comedian Arsenio Hall apologizing to Bill Clinton & Todd Bridges when he was doing his talk-show standup:
"Bill, man, I love you, but... I'm a comedian and this is what I do!"
"Todd, bro, I give up-- I just can't deliver the material as fast as you keep giving it to me."

From that perpective, I'd think that most self-respecting comedians would be embarrassed to exploit the VP's unfortunate circumstances. It's like shooting fish in a barrel with a shotgun after the water's been drained out. Oh, wait, that would be Cheney. Oh, but there I go again-- how embarrassing!

I'm still waiting for the three-hour all-star network special stand-up!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

You forgot "while wearing an orange hat and vest", per the police report...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

"Late Show with David Letterman," CBS:

• "Good news, ladies and gentlemen, we have finally located weapons of mass destruction: It's Dick Cheney."

• "But here is the sad part — before the trip Donald Rumsfeld had denied the guy's request for body armor."

• "We can't get Bin Laden, but we nailed a 78-year-old attorney."

• "The guy who got gunned down, he is a Republican lawyer and a big Republican donor and fortunately the buck shot was deflected by wads of laundered cash. So he's fine. He took a little in the wallet."

__

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," NBC:

• "Although it is beautiful here in California, the weather back East has been atrocious. There was so much snow in Washington, D.C., Dick Cheney accidentally shot a fat guy thinking it was a polar bear.

• "That's the big story over the weekend. ... Dick Cheney accidentally shot a fellow hunter, a 78-year-old lawyer. In fact, when people found out he shot a lawyer, his popularity is now at 92 percent."

• "I think Cheney is starting to lose it. After he shot the guy he screamed, 'Anyone else want to call domestic wire tapping illegal?'"

• "Dick Cheney is capitalizing on this for Valentine's Day. It's the new Dick Cheney cologne. It's called Duck!"

___

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," Comedy Central:

• "Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a man during a quail hunt ... making 78-year-old Harry Whittington the first person shot by a sitting veep since Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton, of course, (was) shot in a duel with Aaron Burr over issues of honor, integrity and political maneuvering. Whittington? Mistaken for a bird."

• "Now, this story certainly has its humorous aspects. ... But it also raises a serious issue, one which I feel very strongly about. ... moms, dads, if you're watching right now, I can't emphasize this enough: Do not let your kids go on hunting trips with the vice president. I don't care what kind of lucrative contracts they're trying to land, or energy regulations they're trying to get lifted — it's just not worth it."

___

"Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson," CBS:

• "He is a lawyer and he got shot in the face. But he's a lawyer, he can use his other face. He'll be all right."

• "You can understand why this lawyer fellow let his guard down, because if you're out hunting with a politician, you think, 'If I'm going to get it, it's going to be in the back.' "

• "The big scandal apparently is that they didn't release the news for 18 hours. I don't think that's a scandal at all. I'm quite pleased about that. Finally there's a secret the vice president's office can keep."

"Apparently the reason they didn't release the information right away is they said we had to get the facts right. That's never stopped them in the past."

Old 02-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just heard on the news that the guy Cheney shot is having additional medical problems. Apparently one or more of the bird shot lodged near the heart has moved and caused cardiac problems.

It would be terrible if this initially humorous accident resulted in a long-term problem or a fatality. But the guy is 78, and you just never know.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Close your eyes and imagine this:

What if it had been Bush that had been hunting with Cheney, and Cheney had shot Bush dead!

Man, can you imagine what a big news event that would be? *Vice President kills President -- does he become president? *Was it really an accident? *

Now that would be something interesting for a change.
Interesting in a legal sense, but Cheney has a much better job acting through the president than becoming the president.* *
Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Obviously, this is a bigger deal than they are letting on. "He got peppered". Come in, the doctor said he had ”fewer than 100 pellets that were being left behind." Fewer than 100? That must be pretty close to a full load of #71/2 bird shot. The guy was in the ICU for a day. Oh yeah, and since when do you get peppered and the shot migrate to your heart? I believe the heart is an internal organ.

Ha
Old 02-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Close your eyes and imagine this:

What if it had been Bush that had been hunting with Cheney, and Cheney had shot Bush dead!

Man, can you imagine what a big news event that would be? Vice President kills President -- does he become president? Was it really an accident?

Now that would be something interesting for a change.
Easy. After he shoots the president, he swaps guns with the lawyer and then shoots the lawyer. Then he says the lawyer killed the president, but he stopped him before he could shoot again.

Hero AND president.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Oh yeah, and since when do you get peppered and the shot migrate to your heart? I believe the heart is an internal organ.
The rather rotund doctor at the press conference said the pellet penetrated as deep as it did because the guy was in good shape (read not overweight). The doc pointed out that if it was he who had been shot, the pellet would not have come anywhere near his heart.

Moral: Don't go bird hunting unless you're fat. Don't go bird hunting with Dick Cheney unless you're fat.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yep, poor guy had a mild heart attack, but he's reported to be okay.

Now the incident is being reported that "cheney acidentally sprayed the man with bird pellets".

That sure sounds a lot better than shooting someone in the face with a shotgun.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #37

Ok, I see "Game Law Violated? (check) Yes."
"P&W Code 43.652"

Quote:
Sec. 43.652.* MIGRATORY OR UPLAND GAME BIRD STAMP REQUIRED.*
(a)* Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person may not hunt a
migratory or upland game bird in this state unless the person
possesses the appropriate migratory or upland game bird stamp, as
applicable, issued to the person by the department.*
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/7...t/SB01192F.HTM

Is this getting any play? Just curious...

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Yes it is. He did not obtain the required $7 permit.

I wonder if theres anything in the code about needing a permit to shoot a lawyer...
Old 02-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #39

cheap at twice the price!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I wonder if theres anything in the code about needing a permit to shoot a lawyer...
Not in my neck of the woods. Open season, no limits.

BTW, Martha, when are you and Greg coming down for a visit? :