Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Chevrolet Coming Out With WIFI
Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chevrolet Coming Out With WIFI

Just saw a commercial about Chevrolet having WIFI in its new vehicles.

Does that mean I don't have to pay a monthly Wifi service, it comes with a provider like Verizon, how does it work?

What's great about capitalism is competition. The bar just keeps getting raised.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
Just saw a commercial about Chevrolet having WIFI in its new vehicles.

Does that mean I don't have to pay a monthly Wifi service, it comes with a provider like Verizon, how does it work?

What's great about capitalism is competition. The bar just keeps getting raised.
I've seen the ads and other car manufacturers are following suit. I believe its a wireless hot spot and tied to a provider. No mention of the cost to use, but I'll bet it will be a subscription service type fee. Kind of like OnStar and others.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've seen the ads and other car manufacturers are following suit. I believe its a wireless hot spot and tied to a provider. No mention of the cost to use, but I'll bet it will be a subscription service type fee. Kind of like OnStar and others.
It will be an add to the onstar service since they changed cell providers with this model year. Onstar comes in as either the basic or adds direction giving services, and also adds the ability to make cell phone calls. So for 2014 and following you can add internet access. I suspect that before it is all said and done, the access will by law be restricted to the back seat, as other usage might distract the driver (this is what the adds show distracting the kids on a long drive)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have WiFi on my 2011 Ford Explorer. If the car is in range I can connect to my home network. Get an assigned Ip address etc. I have no idea as to what it is good for. Suppose its for potential future use with a provider. Navigation what not. The one thing that bugs me about new technology is that it is often....'a solution, looking for a problem'
Old 09-24-2014, 02:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The WiFi on the Tesla is pretty handy. It makes Car OS upgrades faster. Also the 17' inch screen is better for web surfing than most devices I own..
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The WiFi on the Tesla is pretty handy. It makes Car OS upgrades faster. Also the 17' inch screen is better for web surfing than most devices I own..
First it was women putting on their makeup, radios and fast food. We then got navigation devices (Garmin, etc.) Next came cell phones followed by texting. How much more distracted can we get with internet surfing going on while driving?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
First it was women putting on their makeup, radios and fast food. We then got navigation devices (Garmin, etc.) Next came cell phones followed by texting. How much more distracted can we get with internet surfing going on while driving?
Hence the push for devices such as lane shift avoidance hardware and collision warning alerts. Once we have self driving cars that won't smack into each other, the driver can spend all their time on the phone, putting on make up, eating, reading the newspaper (what newspaper) or on Facebook while driving. Since cars won't be subject to driver error then, our insurance rates may drop also.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This technology has been around for years. I know 3+ years ago, I've had 3G/4G cell phone that would also support WiFi (it was a hotspot for up to 4 devices) Of course connecting to the Internet over the cell system is a no-brainer. Looks like they are just integrating it in cars now so you don't need a separate device.

It is scary to think about what drivers can do while "driving" these days. Driving and talking on a cell phone is bad enough but texting and driving Now you can, eat, drink, make a phone call, text, smoke, fiddle with the radio, CD and/or MP3 player, put on make-up, (or shave, as the case may be) etc, etc all while surfing the Internet. And once in a while look up to drive the vehicle. With current technology, I'm not sure how they'll restrict this to the back seat (or passengers seat) other than by passing laws. (Like the no texting laws in school zones)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I do like the idea of a bigger screen. Question is how do they make the room?
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Free?
Quote:
The communication services will be provided by AT&T. Customers will have to pay $10 a month for 200 megabytes of data. GM says that is enough to stream music over an app like Pandora for 6.5 hours, or to spend roughly 13 hours surfing the Internet.

The rate for 200 megabytes is discounted to $5 a month for customers who also subscribe to GM's OnStar safety and navigation service. Onstar costs between $200 and $300 a year.

GM's plan offers non-OnStar customers a $20-a-month plan with for 1 gigabyte of data, $30 a month for 3 gigabytes and $50 a month for 50 gigabytes.

A $5-a-day pass will give car owners access to 250 megabytes.
GM Targets Ford Sync With New Wi-Fi Push - WSJ

And I saw the 17" screen on the Tesla and thought WOW to myself. But recently the piddly nav system in DW's '07 Camry died, Toyota wanted $4300 to replace it, and they didn't offer any lower cost alternative approach (subject of an earlier thread). Wonder what it costs to replace a 17" unit? I know, if you have to ask...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Hence the push for devices such as lane shift avoidance hardware and collision warning alerts. Once we have self driving cars that won't smack into each other, the driver can spend all their time on the phone, putting on make up, eating, reading the newspaper (what newspaper) or on Facebook while driving. Since cars won't be subject to driver error then, our insurance rates may drop also.
Due to range issue the WiFi is really only useful when parked. So I use it when I pick up the Mall wifi in the parking lot, cause I'd rather check email on the Tesla screen than the phone.

That said I will admit to checking google news and twitter in rush hour, using the 3G network (which is free) during red light and such which I I know is bad but....

I actually I had the car in for a shop for my first real issue. Telsa provides full loaded Tesla for a loaner cars, which is great marketing on their part. The electronic package which I was too cheap to get actually is pretty amazing. If you get close to another object the audio and flashing red, would pretty much demand your attention back to the road..
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #12

I find that the 17-inch monitor in the Tesla is almost too big. Especially since the middle console area is otherwise so spartan.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #13

I bet monthly pricing will resemble pricing for other mobile hotspot services. Personally, I'd rather have one I can carry along with me rather than one tethered to my car.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote