Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You've heard the term "Prince of Darkness" I gather...?

OP, I've decided (but you don't have to do anything I recommend)...go with the new Equinox! (be American, buy American!)
Aren't all CRVs built in America

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Aren't all CRVs built in America
They may be all assembled here, but I would bet the major components are made elsewhere. I know VW assembles the Passat in Tennessee but the engines and transmissions are made in Europe. Hyundai and Kia have new pllants in the south (Ga, Al, ?) and assemble the Santa Fe and Sorento models there, but engines and transmissions are made elsewhere.

I'm only jesting about Be American, buy American as most of what we buy is sourced outside the U.S. GM has plants in Canada and Mexico, etc, etc.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Someone asked me yesterday where I would shop for a car. Only two brands probably. Toyota or Honda. We keep our vehicles a long time and don't want something that is built to fall apart at 150K.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #44

Note modern window stickers tell you where the car, engine and transmission are assembled. An additional factor is if you live in a small town you may have to drive 60 miles for dealer service or more. (every small town has a gm, ford and Chrysler dealer).
I had a 2011 cruze that except for a few electrical glitches every so often worked more or less ok, except that the water pump failed, but GM paid for the replacement under a special program. (Water Pump leaked and it took a week to get it replaced since you have to take the engine 1/2 way apart to get to it).
Chrysler is the automaker I swore off. I got my dads 1966 and it lasted 120k miles although I did have to rebush the front end once. Got a 1976 volarie and it was a piece of junk, including that I did not get a spare tire due to a tire strike at the time.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
A bad Lucas electrical part? I've never heard of such a thing. Bwahahaha
I understand that the English folk drink warm beer because Lucas also made refrigerators.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:24 AM   #46

And what is the biggest selling vehicle outside of pickup trucks in the last three months?

It's the Nissan Rogue SUV.

How about that?
Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 AM   #47

Thanks for the input. A couple responses:

Quote:
So why not sell the Malibu and just keep the Equinox. You will save more that way.
It is partly a reward to DW to give up the convenience of the second car, and partly because she would like some new features that the Malibu has but the Equinox does not. Also, if we go with one car, the Malibu would be too small for several travel situations and self delivery of some purchases.

Quote:
Sorry, deal breaker for a heavy SUV like the Equinox. Those 4cyl engines are going to be working pretty hard so if I got one, I wouldn't have the drive it until it dies mindset. Probably look at about 6-8 years/80,000 miles. Also, if they have that stupid start stop technology, I wouldn't even look at it.
We have a 4cyl in the Equinox now and are fine with it. We have start stop in the Malibu and fine with that too. It does have the extra battery that I had to replace. Also, I have taken several GM cars to 180,000 miles.

Quote:
OP, I've decided (but you don't have to do anything I recommend)...go with the new Equinox! (be American, buy American!)
That's why we have been 100% US made for 36 years. The only reason we are looking at the CR-V is that it has within 1% the same US content as the Equinox, including paint made by my former Megacorp.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our recent experience with GM has been good. We owned a 2005 Chevy Colorado for about 10 years and put 100k miles on it during that time and had little in repairs other than maintenance. We did have some rust issues with it but I blame that as more on the brine they use on the roads around here and that we didn't think it have it undercoated.

DD has a Buick Encore that is a couple years old and has had good experience with that vehicle.

WADR, IMO if your experience with GM is more than ten years old then it isn't particularly relevant to this thread.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Just a question on how much the second car really cost to own

IOW, before getting married I owned 2 cars for many years... the variable cost of the second was small for me to have a daily beater and a nice car I liked (I did like the beater as it used to be the nice car).....

Sure, I lost a bit of value in the car, but the insurance was not that much since I listed one as 'pleasure' and inspection and stickers were less that $100....

I used to put between 2 and 4 thousand miles on my 'nice' car....

Also, this meant that I could keep cars longer as I did not run up the miles... but I have only had one car more than 100K miles... I am not like some who are trying for a million.....
Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #50

I have not owned either of these cars, but in general I believe Honda's to be more reliable and post sales maintenance at Honda dealers is usually much better than Chevrolet dealers.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
WADR, IMO if your experience with GM is more than ten years old then it isn't particularly relevant to this thread.
The primary basis of my preferring the CRV over the Equinox was Consumer Reports Reliability Reports FWIW. Getting burned by giving my hard earned money to GM more than 10 years ago was secondary.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've owned and liked both Hondas and Chevys. I'd give the longevity/reliability nod to the Honda, although not by all that much these days.

One thing I would definitely suggest you do is pay close attention to the level of road noise in the Honda on less than smooth pavement. I've found that to be one of the only weak areas Honda designs.

Edit: Consumer Reports says the 2017 CRV is much improved in the road noise department, so maybe no longer a problem. Still, I'd want to do a thorough test drive to check it out.
We have a 16 CRV and road noise is an issue. Mileage is around 25 combined.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #53
Confused about dryer sheets

Our 2013 CR-V has been flawless after 65K miles. I agree that road noise can be an issue at high speeds on poor road surfaces. I drove the new 2017 Touring model and it was remarkably quiet and the CVT operated well matched to the new 1.5L turbo. It also seemed even more solid and refined than our 2013. I am considering a new one to replace my 12 year old BMW which is threatening increasing maintenance costs.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Mazda's have really stepped up there game in the past couple of years. Especially with the SkyActiv-G engines. If I were in the market for a new SUV, I would include them.

I agree. The only caveat is that the rear seat legroom of the Mazda cannot compete with the new CR-V. So if you have a tall family, Mazda may may not be for you.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

The 2017 is a great crossover if you don't plan on hauling more than a couple people and groceries, or filling it with people and not much else. It was quiet when we test drive the Touring trim. The infotainment system was okay but we used Android Auto first chance we could.

It got great MPG, the CVT was a snail, the electric motor on the power driver seat on every trim and every car we tested on the lot sounded like it was about to die. The headrest was pitched way too far forward, and the seats were so firm it created painful pressure points.

But it was cavernous, the fit and finish was nice, the dark olive is an amazing color, and we would have kept the one we bought if the seats hadn't been so uncomfortable.

Nothing about the Equinox really impressed me, nor its GMC counterpart, the Terrain. In every feature of every compact to missive crossover I looked into, the CR-V became the one to beat, and nothing else could unless you got into luxury brand territory.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRunningMan View Post
Our 2013 CR-V has been flawless after 65K miles.
I can't speak for high mileage, but I've put over 150K miles on each of my last two CR-Vs (2003 and 2008). Only 105K so far on the 2013, but I'll get to 150 by next Spring. Nothing but routine maintenance on any of them. 150K is when I normally get a new one. Not sure if I'll go for a fourth CR-V in a row, but knowing me it's somewhat likely. I've been a very happy Honda owner.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Just purchased a 2017 CRV EX yesterday. We chose it over the Nissan Rouge because it had more features, had a 5 star overall rating and had more leg room in the back seats. Honda ranks very well in overall service and repairs + safety.

After 2 days, we love it. We just had 2 friends killed in a Ford Escape. Hit by an Acura sedan. Kid ran the red light and was speeding. Thus, we were very concerned with the safety aspect when purchasing.

DH did lots of research before purchasing.

Engine built in Japan, transmission built in the us and assembled in Canada. Some were assembled in Mexico. We chose assembled in Canada over Mexico.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

JD Power & Associates annual survey

From Clark Howard's site:

Kia again ranks #1 in J.D. Power initial quality ratings | Clark Howard

Quote:
Interestingly, domestic brands outperformed import brands overall for the second year in a row, but it’s only the third time that’s happened since the study was first published in 1987.

“The Initial Quality Study continues to demonstrate the critical importance of automakers responding to consumer feedback regarding vehicle quality,” Sargent said. “Any automaker that stands still will quickly start to fall behind. For consumers, the great news is that significant improvements are occurring in all model segments, meaning that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a quality vehicle.”
Old 08-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, the domestics have been getting better.... and it shows here.... but long term they have not yet caught up... I do not consider the initial quality rating much in my decision... now, if what I was looking at was at the bottom it might make a difference..
Old 08-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, the domestics have been getting better.... and it shows here.... but long term they have not yet caught up... I do not consider the initial quality rating much in my decision...
Take a look at this "Cost to Own" maintenance and repair graphic from Consumer Reports. Note the dozen most expensive 10 year brands aren't domestic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car.JPG (42.2 KB, 72 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote