Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
blindfolded, I can tell which posters are offline.
Well, yeah- with that special klaxon horn software ya'll use there in modland....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have slowly figured out that I'm more of a kid person than a cat or dog person. Luckily my kids are old enough to feed our one remaining cat. We just buy the food and flea collars and hope the cat lives out the rest of her natural life.

If you don't have kids, who's going to mow the grass when you are lazy?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My new toy:

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I heard recently that a study found both childless men & women at all age groups rated significantly happier than those with children. The drive to procreate must lie in something else - not happiness.
I can't comment on the "studies", but I think it would not be unexpected if the "drive" to have children were based on something other than happiness. That isn't how motivational states work. For one thing, happiness cannot really be predicted in advance. Once you initiate a desired pregnancy, you are on a long ride, which essentially only ends when you or the child or dies. Is the drive to achieve career prominance because you will be happier? Several posters have cited studies suggesting that career prominance will not make you happier, perhaps even less happy.

Ha
Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My new toy:

My kids would love it!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

The apt. bldg. maintenance staff.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
The apt. bldg. maintenance staff.
Uh-oh. Here comes "rent versus own" now....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My route to ER was this: No kids, no debts. I knew since I was 20 years old I never wanted any kids of my own. But I like doing volunteer work with kids, especially when I get to "give them back" to their parents when I am done putting smiles on their faces.

Nearly 1 in 5 now? I hope this trend continues to 1 in 4, 1 in 3......the stigma is fading fast.

And in my co-op apartment complex (own my apartment outright - no debts), the building's maintenance staff and their outside contractors cut the grass and do all the other grounds maintenance work.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

You people have to pay building maintenance staff to mow grass? That's what kids are for.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I didn't like kids when I was one. Never wanted or had any. Have lived with varying amounts of cats (down to 1).
Have been told I'm 'selfish' for not reproducing. I'm sure the world is poorer for one less messed up kid.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Have been told I'm 'selfish' for not reproducing.
Many years ago, someone told me the same thing. Sometimes people choose to have children for selfish reasons. Sometimes people choose not to for unselfish reasons. Vice versa on both.

Oh, and some people think retiring early is selfish too:

Proposition: Early Retirement is Selfish
Old 06-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Many years ago, someone told me the same thing. Sometimes people choose to have children for selfish reasons. Sometimes people choose not to for unselfish reasons. Vice versa on both.

I'm selfish doomed. I retired early and have no kids!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I just made a poll on this. Kids or Not?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #34
gone traveling

Forgot to have kids, never saw it as a big deal, or felt any real "stigma" over not having them. Have heard a few snarky comments around "no kids, no bills" or "they have lots of time, they don't have kids" but always just considered the source- usually these comments come fromm the same folks who don't LBYM and are in hock up to their necks playing keep up with the Jones. It wouldn't have made any difference to their finances, they would be in the same position, with or without kids, IMO. As for their time, that is the choice they made...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

Oh yes. I have been condemned for being childfree & RE & not religious.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Any comments from the "quiverfull" crowd?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #37

Quote:
I have been bingoed (sometimes) for being childfree.

I have been envied for being retired at age 45.

I have been treated indifferently (thankfully) for being an atheist.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Any comments from the "quiverfull" crowd?
Not me, I have better ways to waste time. Besides, all I keep thinking about is the opening scenes from Idiocracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wouldn't condemn anyone for their reproductive choice - as long as they keep it in the human family and it's not otherwise illegal, go for whatever you want. Or stay away from whatever you don't want. Except those people who got sterilized so they could "reduce their carbon footprint".
Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I have been treated indifferently (thankfully) for being an atheist.
Although I am an unabashed and unashamed Christian, and although I know some folks "of the faith" think it's my responsibility to whack the Bible over everyone's head "convert" or preach it from the rooftops to everyone else, I can't and won't do that. I will happily share with those who ask, with those who are exploring and curious, with those whom I know to be receptive to listening... but I cringe every time I see someone aggressively trying to put their religion on others whether they want it or not. I'm tired of putting up with the reputation that brings. Some of these people need to read a little more of the gospels and a little less on the Old Testament vengeance and judgmentalism.

That concludes this threadjacking. Back to the original idea... I was pleasantly surprised when we moved to a small, conservative and fairly religious town that the attitude toward us not having children is mostly a non-issue, and at most a curiosity.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You offered to donate your bone marrow to someone you don't know, are in the 20 gallon club for blood donations and are kind to animals. The world could use more people like you.