Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Child-free study: FYI
Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Child-free study: FYI

It seems to me that we have more than one thread containing comments about/from folks that haven't had children, which surely is not for everybody and--having raised a boy's boy myself--I get it now ! (Not that he hasn't been the light of my life, but...)
Anyway, in case you missed this, here is an interesting article from USA Today on being child-free. I hope you enjoy it.

Nearly 1 in 5 older women are going childless - USATODAY.com
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I heard recently that a study found both childless men & women at all age groups rated significantly happier than those with children. The drive to procreate must lie in something else - not happiness.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And as usual, the article is complete with idiotic, intolerant comments from the rabble. Sometimes I think the ability to post comments on these news articles (especially the political and religious ones) is contributing heavily to the breakdown in social civility. With apologies for the double negative, some people are simply not capable of not being troglodytes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I heard recently that study found both childless men & women at all age groups rated significantly happier than those with children. The drive to procreate must in something else - not happiness.
We originally thought we'd have perhaps 2-3 kids. But we liked the configuration of our lives as is, and we want to remain each other's undisputed #1 in our lives -- not "1A" and "1B" or even #2 behind the kids, as we've seen in some strained relationships involving children.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I remain unclear on the concept of defining myself by something I'm not. I'll read this thread with interest.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And as usual, the article is complete with idiotic, intolerant comments from the rabble. Sometimes I think the ability to post comments on these news articles (especially the political and religious ones) is contributing heavily to the breakdown in social civility. With apologies for the double negative, some people are simply not capable of not being troglodytes.

We originally thought we'd have perhaps 2-3 kids. But we liked the configuration of our lives as is, and we want to remain each other's undisputed #1 in our lives -- not "1A" and "1B" or even #2 behind the kids, as we've seen in some strained relationships involving children.

Geepers...I certainly did NOT post this to offend anyone. I just thought it was interesting that more women today are choosing not to have kids, and certainly did not want to hurt anyone's feelings. My apologies to those who are offended by this post. It was definitely not my intent on any level at all.

However, please, someone is going to have to actually point out what is so offensive about this study to me. I just took it as an interesting fact of today's world. Help me understand, Ziggy29, as I'm here to learn.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Geepers...I certainly did NOT post this to offend anyone. I just thought it was interesting that more women today are choosing not to have kids, and certainly did not want to hurt anyone's feelings. My apologies to those who are offended by this post. It was definitely not my intent on any level at all.
Sorry if you misunderstood -- no, I'm not offended at all! I was just noting the idiocy of all the comments off of that article!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It seems to me that we have more than one thread containing comments on folks that haven't had children, which surely is not for everybody and--having raised a boy's boy myself--I get it now ! (Not that he hasn't been the light of my life, but...)
Anyway, in case you missed this, here is an interesting article from USA Today on being child-free. I hope you enjoy it.

Nearly 1 in 5 older women are going childless - USATODAY.com
I've never had an urge to have children. And, when growing up I do not remember any of the guys saying they wanted children.
Some parents I know expressed that they were tired of the kids and wish they were out of the house when the kids were about 16.

The natural urge to reproduce is powerful. I remember dating women who were around 30 - I felt like I was being sized up as a sperm donor.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anyone want to start a pool on how many posts this thread will go prior to being closed? Maybe a secondary bet on when the personal insults and name calling will start?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, please, someone is going to have to actually point out what is so offensive about this study to me. I just took it as an interesting fact of today's world. Help me understand, Ziggy29, as I'm here to learn.
There is nothing offensive about the article to me. I was merely commenting on how caustic and mean some of the comments from readers on that page were. Has nothing to do with the article itself. Was I really that unclear? My apologies if so...
Old 06-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Anyone want to start a pool on how many posts this thread will go prior to being closed? Maybe a secondary bet on when the personal insults and name calling will start?
I give it 70 posts. Signed childless, not-yet-a-billionnaire CJ. What are you not?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What are you not?
Retired.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Retired.

------

Orchid, it's not you. It's what others do with topic. As Ziggy pointed out, the comment section of the article brought out knee jerk intolerant nonsense.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
What are you not?
Liberal

Quote:
I give it 70 posts.
Optimistic
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post

Optimistic
blindfolded, I can tell which posters are offline.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I agree that so many of my childfree brethren and their child-ful counterparts "out there" have a hard time seeing the other side's point of view, but we've managed pretty well here in E-R.org land, I think, at apply reason instead of emotion to the subject. But out there, it is not unlike the pure venom that can be generated between SAHMs and those who work outside the home.

I think our tent is big enough. And I'm now in the enviable place in my life where others now agree that having kids would have been a really bad idea for me!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Next topic: Which is better, Cats or Dogs?

Having never ever had a cat, I am perfectly equipped to render a fair and impartial objective opinion: the answer is "yes."
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Next topic: Which is better, Cats or Dogs?
I've got 5 dogs and 7 cats; you tell me!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
But out there, it is not unlike the pure venom that can be generated between SAHMs and those who work outside the home.
Ye gads, yes! "Childfree" versus "childed" is very restrained compared to this one. And it's worse largely because both sides use the kids as part of their "ammunition" to support their position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've got 5 dogs and 7 cats; you tell me!
We have one dog and two cats -- but we have 40 pounds of dog and 22 pounds of cat. So do we have more dog or more cat?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Dog photo thread!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Here's my newest dog that found me on the road a month or so ago--her name is Biscuit and she looks, well, as best I can describe it, she's like a miniature Border Collie, even though no such thing exists. I've had suggestions of Pom and Papillon and some other guesses, but who knows. She's 14 lbs and adorable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biscuit.JPG (73.1 KB, 1 views)