Join Early Retirement Today

Child Proof latches to protect grand children
Old 05-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Child Proof latches to protect grand children

I need some recommendations on types and brands of child proof latches that will keep the grandkids out of drawers and cabinets they should not get into.

My drawers and cabinets basically are flat surfaces with a gripping area on the bottom to open them. No knobs, handles etc.

What works well for you and is not to difficult to install? I don't mind drilling a few small holes and screwing them into the cabinets and drawers. The parts should be fairly easy to line up so they work properly. Thanks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Check out Amazon for various latch options.

I don't have personal experience with them, but there's a big selection of different types there.

Amazon.com: child proof latch
Old 05-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

With three sons, I can say that a determined 3-5 year old can defeat ANY latch. We ended up with twine wrapped around handles connecting two cupboards together. It entertained them for hours and they couldn't defeat it. The down side was it took us more time than we wanted to spend to get into the cupboards!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe consolidate the real dangers in one high-up cupboard and secure that one? Hopefully your grandkids will visit often but not be unattended (of course those little imps have their ways of slipping off unnoticed every once in awhile despite our best efforts!). Even at two years old our DS could simply yank open the childproofed undersink cabinet, disregarding the complicated opening method we adults used ("press in here while turning counterclockwise and lifting the latch").

When DS visited with his young family, we woke up the next morning to all the electrical sockets having childproof guards in place (it hadn't occurred to us grandparents to take care of that even when our kids were little) and more expensive toilet paper in the bathrooms (another issue from his childhood, but I digress). At least they hadn't brought the toilet closing devices that are very hard to circumvent in the middle of the night without instruction.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Administrator

When we bought our house we replaced all the knobs with latches. A few years later, when the grandkids began showing up, we found out just how much easier we made it for them to open doors.

+1@ Kids defeat latches easily. They watch you do it a couple of times and that's all it takes. Best advice is to move dangerous kitchen and bathroom things out of reach. Plug all the outlets. Keep them out of laundry area with pet gates. Attach door locks or latches 5 ft high for doors going outside and into the garage.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

For extreme cases a double deadbolt on the front and back doors works well.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Administrator

You could try this solution. Biohacking Your Body to Open Doors Without Keys - Bloomberg Business
Old 05-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Not sure I want to do that yet.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
For extreme cases a double deadbolt on the front and back doors works well.
I may use that when they are teenagers to lock them out.

Tags
child proof