Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
...I was surprised that many of the girls looked better than they had in high school. My 25th was similar.
I think we ALL look better than we did in HS.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We are having the band vs DJ debate right now. My big worry is that a band will be too loud to allow for conversation, and that no one is really there to hear a band, they are there to talk. A good DJ would seem like they'd be able to emcee a bit better, and allow for the inevitable announcements needed to herd various classes over to the picture area, prizes, etc.
The band we had at the 15 year reunion was great! They accepted requests, and did a wonderful job of playing them. They also made any needed announcements with no hassle at all, and they kept the sound level at a very acceptable level....no one had to shout to be heard, or even really raise their voice.

The DJ, on the other hand, didn't do requests, only played what he had already put on his list, didn't do a very good job of announcements (and wouldn't allow the class officers to make those announcements themselves, over "his" system), and he had the thing cranked soooo loud, that you couldn't hear yourself think!

We have a LOT of really good local bands around here, so if they decide on a DJ for next year's reunion, I most likely won't be there.....or at any subsequent reunions for that matter.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Darn straight! It's finally my turn to get even with the snobby braggarts....MOST of whom are still WORKING!!!
Kinda like my ex-empl*yer's holiday party I just went to in December 08. OH YEAH!
For your upcoming 35th, look handsome, look happy, just smile and wave.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

My gal's recent reunion down in the desert was great - to some extent it was filtered, as those whose lives were not so good probably didn't show. We had a great time - they had the same band that played at their homecoming dance, a group comprised of locals from the year that graduated before her: 007 & The Souls
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

My best friend from childhood had a rough life. Became a broadcaster, got a good gig in St Louis, dicovered downers, drove into a bridge abutment but survived, made a comback in a small town in Minnesota, was on the air when a lightning bolt hit the tower, destroying 50% of his hearing and he spent 5 days in ICU, had seizures after that from time to time, got another radio gig, lost it after they discovered him doing coke in the break room, got a job (unbelievably) at a teen REHAB hospital, got fired after they found him doing coke with a teen in rehab, got a job managing a Little Caesers, got fired for embezzlement, then he died at age 40 from a heart attack in his sleep.

I stayed in contact with him up until the end, tried to help him the whole time. He just had too many demons...... Near the end, he didn't want to see me anymore, he said he was too embarassed.......sad.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #46

Great stories - every high school reunion I've gone to was great - my high school experience was a bit rough due to family issues and just plain teenage-i-ness. I wasn't the most popular, but lettered as a freshman and graduated in the top of my class. Everyone thought I had gone to the Air Force Academy, but no....in any case, what surprised me the most was how many people had married people from high school and were still living in the area. For every reunion, I had to travel, once from Germany (in 2001 right after 11 Sep). Most people ended up the way I thought they would.

I also went to a reunion for my graduate program - it's a very close-knit slective program - really enjoyed that, too. It was in CT in the fall - beautiful. The greatest part, though, was revisiting an incident that occurred during my graduate program that had been very difficult for me - 9 years later, my boss (the program was an internship as well as classes), told me that I had done the right thing even though he had to counsel me then - I looked at him and said that I knew and that I would still do the same thing, but wouldn't be so concerned about it as I was then.

My closest friends from HS all still live in AZ - and are all entrepeneurs - that's surprises me, especially for two of them. However, none of my close friends have turned out to have drug, alcohol or other problems that I know of - a few divorces, family deaths, but all has gone well. Guess I was lucky to be surrounded by good people or chose to be surrounded by good people.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had two distinct groups of friends with little overlap. One group through HS and a second in college and immediately after. Of the HS group of eight I do not know where two are, one is semi retired, one is close to retired if megacorp pension comes through, two suicides, one died in a traffic accident and one will work tilll he is 65 but be well off then. Of the college six I do not know where two are, one is semi retired, one is retired, one still working and one died when car he was working on fell on him.

Guess we did not have a good survival rate

Bruce
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

High school was, for the most part, a hideous horrible soul-destroying experience. I was the object of bullying (incoming classes were instructed as to my status).

=======

What Khan said.

I left, and at this point I can't even remember people's names.

ta,
mews
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #49

Finance Dude, I had a buddy like that, and he jumped off the Cooper River Bridge 9 years ago, very very sad. I plan to round up some pictures of him to post at the reunion, which pleased his younger sister and parents.
Sometimes their problems are just too much for them and this was the case with Todd--he was just too embarrassed and thought he'd gone too far for any of us to want to help him.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #50

I may be in the minority on this, but I find little pleasure in looking back at my high school days. I wasn't bullied; got great grades; enjoyed the experience, but have had no desire to go to reunions or look up any former classmates -- beyond the five or six who were good friends back then and remain so to this day.

But then again, I never drive by the "old neighborhood" or go back to my old office or for that matter, spend much time reminiscing about the good old days. I have always been more interested in looking forward rather than in the rear view mirror, I guess.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #51

I really have not thought of my high school or college friends in years and years, but, being back in my hometown the past years has really brought alot of repressed memories back...where they will go again when I leave here. But it has been an interesting experience...
Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
I may be in the minority on this, but I find little pleasure in looking back at my high school days. I wasn't bullied; got great grades; enjoyed the experience, but have had no desire to go to reunions or look up any former classmates -- beyond the five or six who were good friends back then and remain so to this day.

But then again, I never drive by the "old neighborhood" or go back to my old office or for that matter, spend much time reminiscing about the good old days. I have always been more interested in looking forward rather than in the rear view mirror, I guess.

Achiever51 - I do agree with you for the most part - I just find it interesting to see what has happened - I don't want to go back and enjoy my life now much better; a datapoint, if you will.

I had this discussion with my husband the other day - he had sent a survey to his young son about what people wished they had done in high school - high on the list were studying more and getting better grades - I didn't have that regret (I had done well in high school) -what I regretted was inhibiting myself from some activities due to what I thought the other thought of me (overly sensitive to peer opinions) - as I look back, I haven't interacted in any professional or other way with any of those people in the 28 years since and have only maintained true friendship with two people - bottom line - I shouldn't have given a damn what any of them thought and done what I wanted and gained the experience.