Wanted kids and had two 48 30.77%
Wanted kids and had three 15 9.62%
Wanted kids..but had too many (over 3)! 4 2.56%
No kids of my own but mate did have young (-18) kids 1 0.64%
No kids of my own and mate's kids are out of the house 4 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #21
No one yet admitting to a surprise kid they didn't want...must mean the buyer's regret fades with time! LOL!
Childfreee Sarah

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
As we all know, children come at a high financial cost; and wondered how many of us on this board did or did not have children of our own. And, if we did, how many did we have?
I was reading one of the older posts, and was surprised at the large number of members here who never had or raised any children. much did this help you get to early retirement or, at the very least, allow you to accumulate your mega-bucks towards retirement later? Alot, I suspect, because kids do cost money. Let's test this theory!
The coming of my kid forced me to start thinking about money and the future, and inspired me to get serious about saving and investment. (Classic impending fatherhood response.) So if I do have mega-bucks in retirement then yes, it will probably be attributable to having had a kid.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
When people ask me if I have any kids, I tell them "none that I know of". Since I'm a woman, most look at me kind of funny. A few get it.
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We originally wanted 4 kids. We had 2 boys, who are now 23 and 21. After the 2nd one I expected that I'd want to keep going. When he got to the age when we'd go ahead with a third, I just didn't feel like anything was missing and didn't feel the need to add another one. If we'd have had the urge to go for a third or fourth it would have been easy enough, we were all set up for babies. But we just felt complete with the 2 sons we had.

Thinking about it later I realized the house would have felt a lot smaller with a third and fourth. We would have needed a minivan. College costs would have multiplied.

If we really wanted to have more we would have done it besides the costs, because the pleasures far outweigh the negatives. It's been the most fun we could ever have.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...
Never wanted kids of my own, but my 2nd wife has a grown daughter with a 6 y.o. son. So, I really did have my grandkids first.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
When people ask me if I have any kids, I tell them "none that I know of". Since I'm a woman, most look at me kind of funny. A few get it.

Hey thats my line!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
Wanted to have two children, but was blessed with only one.

She's now nearly 26 and is my proudest achievement, without a doubt. Not to say that every day was wonderful -- wouldn't want to repeat those teen years! -- but overall, she really made us a family.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Don't like them.

Didn't want them.

Didn't have any.

I very much do not like noise and very much do like sleep.
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hey thats my line!
Yeah, but it's funnier coming from a woman.
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
We wanted kids and had three. Daughter 30 and sons 26 and 23. I would give a year of my life to hold each of them as babies again for one hour. I would not want to think of life without them in it.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #31
I thought I wanted a couple of 'em when I was young. But the older I got and the more I wanted early retirement, a low-maintenance lifestyle and had a lower and lower tolerance for noise, the more I realized it was a bad idea. So we never had one, and I had a vasectomy performed in 1999 to make sure.

I like well-behaved children in controlled doses. But not under my roof on a permanent basis.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #32
Need a vote that I wanted two kids and both are on the way now.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. One person's stupidity is another person's job security.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.
2 boys, 8 and 10. I didn't want kids at first since I thought it would cost too much, but I'm REALLY glad my wife talked me into it.

It's a challenge every day, and a huge responsibility since they look up to me (which is scary), but I love help raising my two boys and really enjoy hanging out with them.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #34
When the young wife and I got married, we assumed we would have kids, but as we went along in life, it always seemed that the time was just not propitious to do so. ("shouldn't we wait until I'm out of the Navy", then grad school for each of us sequentially, then the stresses of new careers, etc. etc.). Then one day we woke up and discovered that were old, didn't have any children and were quite happy that way.
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #35
Didn't really think about it much. Ended up with 3 here and 2 in heaven.

I have the patience and energy now to deal with any 2 of the 3 at any given point in time. All 3 at once is a bit overwhelming but I'm adjusting.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.
We had two daughters, now ages 27 and 22. They've given us three grandkids with a fourth one on the way. We can't imagine life without them and are happy to have them all living nearby. We get to see them almost every week. We are glad we had them when we were younger. We crave peace and quiet more now so occasional visits work best for us. Can't imagine having little ones in the house 24/7 at this age.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #37
We didn't want kids from day 1, and we stuck to our plan. I'm glad we didnt have any, because I wouldn't want any of the crap our friends/relatives go through with theirs.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets
Always liked children, but never found the right woman to marry (not that this is a requirement). Then at 40, girlfriend then, wife now, got pregnant with daughter number 1 and we had daughter number 2, seven months ago. Greatest thing that ever happened to me. 16 months to FIRE. Can't wait to be able to spend more time with them.
Ty Webb to Carl Spackler: "Got a a pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you."
Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #39
3 (1m, 2f) plus 2 stepsons
Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #40
Always wanted to have children and we have 2, son 29 yrs and a daughter 19 yrs. I am so glad that we had our children. I have been waiting a long time to be a grandma and will be one in 07/08! I can't wait. Hopefully, we will find out Monday whether it will be a granddaughter or a grandson.

Closed Thread