Children: You did or did not have them poll?

Do you or do you not have children? Poll

• Never wanted kids, have no kids

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • Never wanted kids, but, surprise! had kids

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Wanted kids and had one

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • Wanted kids and had two

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • Wanted kids and had three

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Wanted kids..but had too many (over 3)!

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • No kids of my own but mate did have young (-18) kids

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • No kids of my own and mate's kids are out of the house

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As we all know, children come at a high financial cost; and wondered how many of us on this board did or did not have children of our own. And, if we did, how many did we have?
I was reading one of the older posts, and was surprised at the large number of members here who never had or raised any children. Hmmm...how much did this help you get to early retirement or, at the very least, allow you to accumulate your mega-bucks towards retirement later? Alot, I suspect, because kids do cost money. Let's test this theory!

2 kids, one of each now 34 and 31 years old. Sort of dating myself. (heh)

I had one. He has cost me a ton of money with special schools and medical visits when he was younger, but I would do it all over again. I received more pure joy from raising him than anything else I have ever done....most days. (He turned out ok...finished college, studying for exams now and planning his future.)

No kids, may adopt down the road. Had the plumbing disconnected so there's no surprises.

We still practice a lot though, just in case.

What about no kids yet? The poll needs that option.

We wanted kids but were unable to successfully achieve the goal - you should add that option to your poll.

Had my vasectomy at 27, as soon as I found a urologist that would fix a young single (several others
refused, claiming I would change my mind about children). One of my better decisions. I have always
been much better with dogs.

Had my vasectomy at 27, as soon as I found a urologist that would fix a young single (several others
refused, claiming I would change my mind about children). One of my better decisions. I have always
been much better with dogs.

About the same age here but married... I wonder if that made a difference or if it's just different here, first guy was more than willing.

edit: maybe he realized it'd be best for the world if there weren't more of me

We have one child, 19 months old. If it were up to me we'd have one more. If it were up to the wife we'd have two or four or five more. I guess we'll have to see who wins out in that one. God, I hope it's me. :)

Have 3....17 yr old son, and daughters 12 and 9. No regrets. Children are such a blessing.

I am not retired yet, and I voted "Never wanted kids, have no kids" but that doesn't mean I actively planned to not have kids. I like babies and children.

The time simply got away from me. I took too long to grow up--I still might not be done.

Now, it's too late for me to have one biologically, and I'm with a partner who doesn't want to have children. Even if he did, I am not sure we could swing the responsibilities financially and guidance-wise.

Not to ignore the financial impact of having kids, but I see the commitment in time, effort, and attention as heavier responsibilities than the financial one.

Never wanted any myself and ended up being unable to have them, wish I'd known that earlier, I would have saved a bundle on BC. Married a man with grown children, youngest was 16 when we met, we now have 6 grandchildren with one great grandchild due next month. He has no regrets about having them.

My ex and I wanted kids, and had one. She is so dear to me, and I wouldn't go back and do anything differently even if I could. We had never been around children, and my baby was the first I had ever held! What an awesome experience. We went all out trying to give her the best parenting a child could possibly have, despite our inexperience with kids.

But you know that show, "Eight is Enough!"? After finding out what taking care of a real live baby is REALLY like, we decided that for us, "One is Enough!" :2funny:

I fall somewhere between the options. I always thought I'd have kids but between putting myself through college and grad school, then pursuing the career, and not meeting the right person to have kids WITH... I ended up without any.

There's always "what if?" but I figure that if I'd wanted them badly enough I would have found a "donor" and taken the time.

No one yet admitting to a surprise kid they didn't want...must mean the buyer's regret fades with time! LOL!
Childfreee Sarah

As we all know, children come at a high financial cost; and wondered how many of us on this board did or did not have children of our own. And, if we did, how many did we have?
I was reading one of the older posts, and was surprised at the large number of members here who never had or raised any children. Hmmm...how much did this help you get to early retirement or, at the very least, allow you to accumulate your mega-bucks towards retirement later? Alot, I suspect, because kids do cost money. Let's test this theory!

The coming of my kid forced me to start thinking about money and the future, and inspired me to get serious about saving and investment. (Classic impending fatherhood response.) So if I do have mega-bucks in retirement then yes, it will probably be attributable to having had a kid.

When people ask me if I have any kids, I tell them "none that I know of". :rolleyes: Since I'm a woman, most look at me kind of funny. A few get it.

We originally wanted 4 kids. We had 2 boys, who are now 23 and 21. After the 2nd one I expected that I'd want to keep going. When he got to the age when we'd go ahead with a third, I just didn't feel like anything was missing and didn't feel the need to add another one. If we'd have had the urge to go for a third or fourth it would have been easy enough, we were all set up for babies. But we just felt complete with the 2 sons we had.

Thinking about it later I realized the house would have felt a lot smaller with a third and fourth. We would have needed a minivan. College costs would have multiplied.

If we really wanted to have more we would have done it besides the costs, because the pleasures far outweigh the negatives. It's been the most fun we could ever have.

Never wanted kids of my own, but my 2nd wife has a grown daughter with a 6 y.o. son. So, I really did have my grandkids first. ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom