Join Early Retirement Today

Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Gee thats the point Art...I dont know for sure, and neither do you.
Speak for yourself, th.

Just to clue you in, we actually do have a free press here, unlike Mainland China. Anyone with half a brain, and a willingness to find the truth, knows that the Communist Chinese dictatorship- for all its economic progress- is a bloody, brutal, murderous regime that uses violence to maintain power.

It's mind-boggling that you don't know this. Actually, it's pathetic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Th, were you out of town on another one of your groovy, far out, Totally Excellent Adventures during a little thing called the Tianamenn Square massacre?

Old 06-24-2005, 01:16 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Just to clue you in, we actually do have a free press here
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...*SNORK*

Quote:
Anyone with half a brain
Ok Art, we agree on one thing
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Th, were you out of town on another one of your groovy, far out, Totally Excellent Adventures during a little thing called the Tianamenn Square massacre?
Was that anything like Kent State?

By the way, before any 3rd parties get riled up, I dont doubt China is probably a bad place. I'm just pointing out that I dont simply and automatically buy in that its the worst or to anything I read in 'the news' or 'from reports'. And I'm not saying the US is an awful, awful place either...its clearly one of the best in the world.

Its just that...

Nah, nevermind
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art

Care to tell us what the Tiennamen Square massacre was about, th?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Was that anything like Kent State?

By the way, before any 3rd parties get riled up, I dont doubt China is probably a bad place.* I'm just pointing out that I dont simply and automatically buy in that its the worst.* And I'm not saying the US is an awful, awful place either...its clearly one of the best in the world.

Its just that...

Nah, nevermind
Smartest thing you said all day.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Was that (Tiennamen Square massacre) anything like Kent State?
Uhhhh... no. Not even a little, th. But I'm sure the subtle differences elude you.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

You're the expert with the requisite half a brain Art, do tell.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Uhhhh... no. Not even a little, th. But I'm sure the subtle differences elude you.
Realllly? You mean students gather to protest the governments actions, the government moves in armed people, somebody gets out of hand, and civilians are killed by the military? Yep, no coincidences there.

Just to show you how the 'free press' and first hand truthfulness works Art...check this out. This is the agreed on report that was aired by many news outlets with regards to Kent State:

"In May 1970, at Kent State University in Ohio, National Guardsmen confronted student antiwar protestors with a tear gas barrage. Soon afterward, with no provocation, soldiers opened fire into a group of fleeing students. Four young people were killed, shot in the back, including two women who had been walking to class."

The media also reported the gun fire as occurring for anywhere near a minute to five minutes.

Here are the problems with this: there was plenty of provocation. The students werent fleeing until after the shots were fired. Only one of the four students was shot in the back. And one of the two women shot was participating in the protest, not on her way to class.

Further, the gunfire lasted exactly 13 seconds, not 1-5 minutes.

So based on this example of how our accurate and free press reports activities they observed with their own eyes, first hand, how accurate do you imagine news reports of actions in other countries are, particularly ones run by the evil red menace?

I'm sure its all fair and balanced...

Gotta go install a new over-the-range microwave for the in-laws Art. Nice talking with you again about stuff you dont know anything about for sure.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

You're just freakin' brilliant, th.

You proved your point: there was no real difference between Kent State and Tiennamen Square!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I guess we'll all be left to ponder if the students in either situation were aware or irreversably brain damaged when they were killed by their government.

I'm sure you know though Art...
Old 06-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
You're just freakin' brilliant, th.

You proved your point: there was no real difference between Kent State and Tiennamen Square!
Anything to get his post count up!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
This thread is about morally comparing Mainland China to the U.S.- not to North Korea, but, whatever...
It is? I thought it's about the recent Pew Study which shows that Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries.

The study also shows how US favorability rating has plummeted since the invasion and occupation of Iraq.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anyone want to wager which one of them is the first to say "Yo mamma wears combat boots!" ?

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:46 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
It is?* I thought it's about the recent Pew Study which shows that "Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries."

The study also shows how US favorability rating has plummeted since the invasion and occupation of Iraq.*
Yes. The study says that in many democracies, "Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries", largely as a result of the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

But, to you, this implies no moral comparison between the U.S. and China? Fascinating.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas.
All I get is fruitcake.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Yes. The study says that in many democracies, "Favorability ratings for China are higher than the US in many countries", largely as a result of the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

But, to you, this implies no moral comparison between the U.S. and China? Fascinating.
The moral comparision is one component, not the whole story. In this regard China and the US are very different. They the #1 and #2 polluters -- which is probably a negative for both. China's human rights record is certainly a negative. The US tends to impose their will on other nations through war as opposed to China who tends to be isolationist. In this regard, China probably ranks higher. China has also curbed their population growth and have the fastest growing economy (positive).
Old 06-24-2005, 02:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Yeah, right. Can you see the rafts and boats, the illegal immigrants, all trying desperately to get to China?
"The polling in Western Europe, conducted in the weeks leading up to the decisive rejection of the European Union constitution by voters in France and the Netherlands, finds pockets of deep public dissatisfaction with national conditions and concern in several countries over immigration from the Middle East, North Africa and Eastern Europe"

Old 06-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
The US tends to impose their will on other nations through war as opposed to China who tends to be isolationist.* In this regard, China probably ranks higher.*
You crack me up, professor.

Tell it to the Tibetans.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
You crack me up, professor.

Tell it to the Tibetans.
I'd love to hear a country - especially anything resembling a superpower - that hasn't imposed their will on other nations.

Europe especially.