Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 02:07 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 524
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
From BBC report of poll, link enclosed in first post of this thread:

"China 'is more popular' than US"

"America's image is still so tattered abroad after the Iraq war that China is viewed more favourably than the US in many countries, a global poll finds."

From CNN report of poll, link enclosed in first post of this thread::

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- The United States' image is so tattered overseas two years after the Iraq invasion that communist China is viewed more favorably than the U.S. in many long-time Western European allies, an international poll has found."

From the poll itself, link enclosed in first post of this thread:

"Strikingly, China now has a better image than the U.S. in most of the European nations surveyed."

Whatever you say, JB...
Actually the survey itself is not comparative -- but some of the analysis is.

For someone with such a strong moral compass you sure are quick to ridicule others. No surprise there.

__________________

__________________
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 09:13 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 252
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
And lastly, whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not, prisoners ARE being tortured in the name of the US both directly and indirectly by the Government, CIA and their covert agents and operatives.
Got proof?
__________________

__________________
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Actually the survey itself is not comparative -- but some of the analysis is.
True. The poll didn't ask: "Which country do you prefer- the U.S. or China?"

It just reports on public opinion IN different countries OF different countries. *
__________________
"Against stupidity, God Himself fights in vain."
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Let me rephrase that: There are no HONEST stats on prison numbers in dictatorships that would ever see the light of day.
During our Moscow tour (October, 1985) our group drove past the huge, world famous Lubyanka Prison- World Communist Party Ground Zero- the belly of the belly of the beast (at the time)- and our lovely Intourist guide/KGB monitor announced:

"Lubyanka Prison. Eight stories tall... sixteen stories deep."

Was it true? Who knows. Was it (or ANY modern dictatorship-controlled prison) ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE WORSE than Gitmo or U.S. controlled Abu Graib ever was on their worst days? You bet your life it was.

You think any of of these groups that announce prison stats in dictatorships are given free access throughout the various dungeons, death camps and torture chambers of the world?

Guantanamo and Abu Graib are A DAY AT THE BEACH compared to REAL torture factories in any dictatorship in the world.

And everyone knows it but brain-dead liberals and pseudo-intellectuals fed a steady diet of propaganda by NPR, CNN, BBC, and the New York Times.

(Laurence- the above is not directed at you in ANY way.)


__________________
"Against stupidity, God Himself fights in vain."
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,211
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Somebody mentioned that China has a lower birth rate than the US
as "good" thing. Unless I missed the news, China restricts the
birth rate to 2 per couple and eliminates any overage by forced partial
birth abortion.

Is this a "good" thing?

Cheers,

Charlie
__________________
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie
Somebody mentioned that China has a lower birth rate than the US
as "good" thing.* Unless I missed the news, China restricts the
birth rate to 2 per couple and eliminates any overage by forced partial
birth abortion.*
Charlie, unless things have changed VERY recently- it's still one child per couple.

My fiancee, formerly a physician in China, born and raised in Jenin, Shandon province- told me a recent story of her eight month pregnant cousin forcibly taken to a hospital for an abortion to avoid having a second child. She has personal knowledge of many similar situations.



__________________
"Against stupidity, God Himself fights in vain."
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 252
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Charlie, unless things have changed VERY recently- it's still one child per couple.

My fiancee, formerly a physician in China, born and raised in Jenin, Shandon province- told me a recent story of her eight month pregnant cousin forcibly taken to a hospital for an abortion to avoid having a second child. She has personal knowledge of many similar situations.



Horrible.

BUT everyone in China knows the rules about how many kids you can have.

__________________
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,211
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Thanks for the correcton, Art. I had an old foggy brain phart.

Cheers,

Charlie*
__________________
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,211
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

If memory serves, in rural China it often was the practice to
kill female babies at birth because of the male dominant culture.
I don't know if this is still true, but I would venture a guess that
in the cities at least, the early abortion rate after the first sonogram
is pretty high if the results are not pleasing.

Cheers,

Charlie
__________________
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 05:21 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 252
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie
If memory serves, in rural China it often was the practice to
kill female babies at birth because of the male dominant culture.
I don't know if this is still true, but I would venture a guess that
in the cities at least, the early abortion rate after the first sonogram
is pretty high if the results are not pleasing.

Cheers,

Charlie
As far as I know this is still true. There are predictions of a huge demographic problem for China - not only the shortage of women but the quickly aging population.

__________________
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Was it (or ANY modern dictatorship-controlled prison) ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE WORSE than Gitmo or U.S. controlled Abu Graib ever was on their worst days? You bet your life it was.
Lots of people believed that the earth was flat and that there was a santa claus.

Quote:
Guantanamo and Abu Graib are A DAY AT THE BEACH compared to REAL torture factories in any dictatorship in the world.
Goodie. Our torture is better than your torture. Arts been there, he knows.

Quote:
And everyone knows it but brain-dead liberals and pseudo-intellectuals fed a steady diet of propaganda by NPR, CNN, BBC, and the New York Times.
Funny Art, but you come off like the biggest bleeding heart liberal I've ever seen write a message on a web site.

One other thing. Call me skeptical, but we have a 9 page discussion on medical stuff, then we get six pages into one about china, where on page 1 I ask you where you get your info and you reply 'our free press'. Then on page six you suddenly develop a chinese wife thats a doctor who had a horrible experience living in her native china.

Wow. Funny how the doctor wife didnt come up in the medical discussion, or get a mention in a thread about china prior to the late revelation.

Again, call me a cynic...call me skeptical...but I think you're good and full of crap. And opinions made for you by people who take 5th hand information and spin it three ties. And like to pick an opinion at random and start arguing.

But you go ahead and enjoy that now...

By the way, we're now in day 7 of waiting for your sources to back up your prior claims after asking me to do so. (tap tap tap). I wont hold my breath waiting. (We need an emoticon for an exasperated person...)

By the way, it seems that now we know China can buy stuff, we like them just fine and their civil rights violations might just not be that bad.

Whakamole...prove it? Hmm...lets see, the same media and organizations who have laid out the chinese civil rights violations are pretty much the same folks who have done the same with regards to our 'efforts' at gitmo and other places. You know, the folks who suggested Bush should be brought up on charges of war crimes? You know the Bush administration? The folks who have lawyers that claim that torture might be ok for the president to order and that standing POW's rights were nothing more than 'quaint' old things...

Source cant be good for one thing and bad for another, at your whim. Well, I guess it can if you want to be argumentative without a real point.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,408
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Yawn!

I would like to put in a 'that's affirm' for Santa Clause, De Gaul, and Yogi - both the bear AND the other one.

We'll get them all in the end - Today America and tomorrow the world.

A toss up whether Mastercard or Visa will do the most damage.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
One other thing.* Call me skeptical, but we have a 9 page discussion on medical stuff, then we get six pages into one about china, where on page 1 I ask you where you get your info and you reply 'our free press'.* Then on page six you suddenly develop a chinese wife thats a doctor who had a horrible experience living in her native china.

Wow.* Funny how the doctor wife didnt come up in the medical discussion, or get a mention in a thread about china prior to the late revelation.

Again, call me a cynic...call me skeptical...but I think you're good and full of crap.*
Ah, there you are professor. I was wondering when you'd grace this thread with more of your wit and wisdom. I've finally figured out that your ego (as demonstrated by over 5,000 mainly worthless posts) requires you to post repeatedly whether or not you have anything worth saying.

You need PROOF that U.S. controlled Abu Graib was a day at the beach compared to Saddam-controlled Abu Graib? You don't believe the numerous stories of Saddam's victim's: broken backs (you missed the videos of his victims being thrown off the roof, handcuffed?), acid baths, amputations of various limbs, woodchipped deaths? Dude, you may be ER (glad to hear you got your ride pimped, btw), but when it comes to anything else in life, you're a freaking idiot. I mean th, you are one stupid motherbleeper.

Some people don't need to get run over by a bus to know its gonna hurt. Others, like you, professor, don't believe anything they don't personally experience. Th, If you don't have the common sense to know which version of Abu Graib is worse (U.S. or Saddam's) by ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE, all the proof I or anyone else supplies won't help you. There's TONS of proof about these atrocities in dictatorship-controlled prisons- the worst allegations about US controlled prisons are not CLOSE to being in the same league. I know, Einstein. You didn't see it so it never happened.

The critical thought developed as a first-year college student should provide all the common sense needed to come to this conclusion (about which types of governments have the worst prisons) easily. Oh, that's right. You never went to college. Bummer. If you did, you might have learned the difference between superficial glibness and critical thinking. I don't have the time or inclination to teach you. I don't think anyone can. Supplying proof to you on anything is a waste of time... the classic example of throwing pearls before swine.

As for my fiancee:

There was no reason to mention her in the Schiavo thread. Her only comment about the Schiavo case was utter amazement that this country got so wrapped up in this one life for so long. Where she's from, life is MUCH cheaper.

There was no reason to mention her in this thread. I'm sorry I did. My opinions about China were NOT informed by her. The mention of her cousin's eight month forced abortion, and the one child per couple policy, in reply to Charlie, was the only reason I mentioned her. She, and her daughter, love China, although they hate the corruption.

Your opinion that I am "good and full of crap" is good for a laugh. You think I'm a liar... I think you are an insufferable idiot. Oh, well.

__________________
"Against stupidity, God Himself fights in vain."
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,096
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
...you're a freaking idiot. I mean th, you are one stupid motherbleeper.

... I think you are an insufferable idiot. Oh, well.
Not exacty a "Yo mamma..." but close enough.

You..uh, "win" Art. :P

REW
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 10:29 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 252
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Ah, there you are professor. I was wondering when you'd grace this thread with more of your wit and wisdom. I've finally figured out that your ego (as demonstrated by over 5,000 mainly worthless posts) requires you to post repeatedly whether or not you have anything worth saying.
This implies that some of his posts do have worth!
__________________
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

This is like when the tourist doesn't speak the native language so he tries shouting louder.

Dude, Art, I get it, I get what you are saying, why are you thowing out personal attacks? Are you just trolling? The debate was going pretty good in the other thread and then it started to degrade, this one resembles a school yard brawl! I just don't think this boards membership is the type to tango like that.

Whakamole, so I'm trying to catch up on your posts and why you are piling on, and I see your first post on this board.

Not cool.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 252
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Whakamole, so I'm trying to catch up on your posts and why you are piling on, and I see your first post on this board.

Not cool.
I'll just have to hang my head in shame now. Perhaps I'll commit the ancient ritual of seppuku.
__________________
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence

why are you thowing out personal attacks?*
I don't know, Laurence. I guess one good personal attack deserves another:

From th, or his alter ego notth:

"One other thing. *Call me skeptical, but we have a 9 page discussion on medical stuff, then we get six pages into one about china, where on page 1 I ask you where you get your info and you reply 'our free press'. *Then on page six you suddenly develop a chinese wife thats a doctor who had a horrible experience living in her native china.

Wow. *Funny how the doctor wife didnt come up in the medical discussion, or get a mention in a thread about china prior to the late revelation.

Again, call me a cynic...call me skeptical...but I think you're good and full of crap."

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
__________________
"Against stupidity, God Himself fights in vain."
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 11:40 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
I don't know, Laurence. I guess one good personal attack deserves another:

From th, or his alter ego notth:

"One other thing. Call me skeptical, but we have a 9 page discussion on medical stuff, then we get six pages into one about china, where on page 1 I ask you where you get your info and you reply 'our free press'. Then on page six you suddenly develop a chinese wife thats a doctor who had a horrible experience living in her native china.

Wow. Funny how the doctor wife didnt come up in the medical discussion, or get a mention in a thread about china prior to the late revelation.

Again, call me a cynic...call me skeptical...but I think you're good and full of crap."

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
Didn't ruffle my feathers, I just think you'll attract more flies with honey.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: China 'is more popular' than US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whakamole
I'll just have to hang my head in shame now. Perhaps I'll commit the ancient ritual of seppuku.
Nice, I had to wipe the sarcasm off the screen. I truly hope no one shits on you or your family for being who they are. It's a really shitty feeling.
__________________

__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More China news Olav23 FIRE and Money 5 05-20-2007 02:36 PM
Big news from China...What is impact on USA stock market? fire2china FIRE and Money 4 05-14-2007 10:35 AM
China dollar peg removed. What now? Olav23 FIRE and Money 28 07-26-2005 01:42 PM
Dollars and China Eagle43 Other topics 7 02-17-2005 11:11 AM
Investing in China Hyperborea FIRE and Money 9 11-04-2004 08:12 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.