Join Early Retirement Today

Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-25-2005, 11:47 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Nice, I had to wipe the sarcasm off the screen. I truly hope no one ****s on you or your family for being who they are. It's a really ****ty feeling.
I hope you get a sense of humor someday.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2005, 06:55 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Psssst! - PTR (Petro China Co. LTD) - is Warren Buffett holding, folding, or knowing when to walk away like the song.

Now - there's the opinion of 'one public' I might be interested in.

That - and perhaps a good buy on kayaks.

Heh, heh, heh.

Are we having fun yet? I forget the page count record on the old forum - on that not to be mentioned subject.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
If you don't have the common sense to know which version of Abu Graib is worse (U.S. or Saddam's) by ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE
You see Art, ours is worse. Because we 'went there' to stop this sort of behavior. That what we're doing isnt as bad as what we went there to stop isnt really the point.

This is like calling the cops because you've discovered your neighbor is a serial killer, and after they get there and arrest him, they kick your door down and slap you around a little. Hey, its better than getting killed, right?

Along with that, you missed my main point. I havent said Chinas a great place to live or that its worse or better than any other country. I was just pointing out that as with most of your opinions, you dont really have any basis to really form a strong opinion.

I form my opinions based on as much unbiased information I can get. When I originally asked where you get your information, had you let on about your fiancee that would have given your opinion pretty good street cred. Unfortunately, the 'free press' and 'everyone with a brain knows' sources arent very good at all. That you suddenly pop up with a fiancee with first hand experience still seems a little unlikely to me.

So yeah, I do think you're full of crap.

By the way, my former company was just setting up a billion dollars or so worth of business in China a year or so before I left. We paid millions for in-country 'scouting reports' to give senior management a good idea of what we were getting into. Culture, government constraints, available workforce and their mindsets, right down to how people would feel living next to one of our factories. I read them all. Pretty unbiased stuff, quite detailed. Not a great place to live by american standards, but then I doubt most chinese care about what we do or dont value.

Whakamole...I just read all of your posts. It didnt take long. I didnt see one word worth picking up dog crap with. So perhaps you might want to find a new line of complaint. I think there are at least a handful of people here who have found what I've contributed to this place to be most helpful. All I've seen from you lately is cheap shots from the cheap seats. Shaddup.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Whakamole...I just read all of your posts. It didnt take long. I didnt see one word worth picking up dog crap with. So perhaps you might want to find a new line of complaint. I think there are at least a handful of people here who have found what I've contributed to this place to be most helpful. All I've seen from you lately is cheap shots from the cheap seats. Shaddup.
Th, I may not agree with you, but I also haven't told you to shut up because I disagree with you.

If you want to control who posts, you should try getting your own message board. Otherwise, you'll have to learn to live with people.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Oh come on whakamole...get a sense of humor!

If you're going to throw stones, prepare to have a few tossed back in your direction.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh come on whakamole...get a sense of humor!

If you're going to throw stones, prepare to have a few tossed back in your direction.
Well, hell, you're right.

Tell ya what, I'll go ahead and read all your posts. I figure that by the time I'm done - I'll be ER'ed!
Old 06-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Honkie,
Take your political trolling to the Democratic Underground site where you can preach to an audience that wallows in self pity and hate for America. This site has been relatively free of the political animous within this thread you started. This site is about FIRE not politics. Get a life. Take this crap elsewhere.

Whakamole,
Don't bother to feed this troll. If he is ignored perhaps he will leave.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I love this thread. At first I didn't read it; I thought does this concern either of my 2 interests- money and fun? It seemed not, so I passed. But last night I was bored (not having fun) so I had a look.

Suddenly I was having fun again. Watching you guys flingin' mud on one another isn't ectasy, but neither is it chopped liver.

So keep it up!

haha
Old 06-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whakamole
Th, I may not agree with you, but I also haven't told you to shut up because I disagree with you.

If you want to control who posts, you should try getting your own message board.* Otherwise, you'll have to learn to live with people.
Hey! Cut Th some slack. My hunch is that he is a substance abuser or
seriously deranged. In either case, he needs help. I call on all forum
participants to offer our support and advice. This is an important
"help your fellow man" activity. I have signed on Bono and Alan Alda.
Oprah is a "maybe".

JG
Old 06-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Personally, I love this thread. At first I didn't read it; I thought does this concern either of my 2 interests- money and fun? It seemed not, so I passed. But last night I was bored (not having fun) so I had a look.

Suddenly I was having fun again. Watching you guys flingin' mud on one another isn't ectasy, but neither is it chopped liver.

Beats hell out of painting, doesn't it.

Damn thread appears to be almost dead, but just noticed JG appeared in the nick of time, and fired a few vollys at TH, so we may be able to squeeze a little more out of this one.

So keep it up!

haha
Old 06-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
Honkie,
* * * * * * * Take your political trolling to the Democratic Underground site where you can preach to an audience that wallows in self pity and hate for America. This site has been relatively free of the political animous within this thread you started. This site is about FIRE not politics. Get a life. Take this crap elsewhere.

Whakamole,
* * * * * * * * * * *Don't bother to feed this troll. If he is ignored perhaps he will leave.
Thanks for the welcome, Ol_Rancher.
Clearly, 8 pages of discussion counters your view that this is crap which doesn't belong here. As it is not FI/RE related I posted in the OTHER TOPICS section.

If it is not to your taste, don't read or contribute. Actually, I thought some slightly more erudite debate would ensue regarding the current world political situation, how the US views the world and vice versa, how current tensions / problems could be resolved etc etc - you know, good old fashioned intelligent and reasoned debate amongst adults. As far as I can see, the only "political animous" has been from Art, Whakamole and lately you. Notth got himself a bit worked up aswell.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:46 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When I originally asked where you get your information [about China], had you let on about your fiancee that would have given your opinion pretty good street cred.* Unfortunately, the 'free press'... *sources arent very good at all.*
FORMAL APOLOGY TO TH, NOTTH, AND THE BOARD:

I was wrong about th and notth.

He is most likely, as JG pointed out, and th's and notth's quote above affirms, either a substance abuser or seriously deranged. And I feel somewhat guilty for speaking so harshly about the mentally handicapped. Sorry, dude. I had no idea.

And in the spirit of compassion that JG has requested of all of us, I have one word for you, th and notth:

Aricept.

It won't cure your Alzheimers disease, but it may slow it's progression.

Good Luck and God Bless.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
you deny freedom to those who dissent from your view.
Yo, Buckwheat!

Still waiting for you to explain how I deny freedom to those who dissent from my view!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If it is not to your taste, don't read or contribute. Actually, I thought some slightly more erudite debate would ensue regarding the current world political situation, how the US views the world and vice versa, how current tensions / problems could be resolved etc etc - you know, good old fashioned intelligent and reasoned debate amongst adults.
I don't buy this.

Anyone who starts a politically charged thread has to expect a resultant flamewar.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:26 AM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Yo, Buckwheat!

Still waiting for you to explain how I deny freedom to those who dissent from my view!
Art....hold your breath, reply on the way.

Quote:
I don't buy this.

Anyone who starts a politically charged thread has to expect a resultant flamewar.
I disagree. I don't think the original article was "politically charged". It is a serious reflection of current world views with ramifications and repurcussions for the economy, world security etc.etc. The only "charged" elements were the initial responses by you and Art who set the tone and direction of the thread away from sensible discussion to personal attacks and vitriol.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

As jarhead said, "It beats painting".

ha
Old 06-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I disagree. I don't think the original article was "politically charged". It is a serious reflection of current world views with ramifications and repurcussions for the economy, world security etc.etc. The only "charged" elements were the initial responses by you and Art who set the tone and direction of the thread away from sensible discussion to personal attacks and vitriol.
Of course it was politically charged. "Hey, Europeans like China more than they do the US!" Talk about lobbing a grenade into a room.

That you are picking on Art and myself when notth certainly played a part indicates to me that you're upset at those who aren't taking your position. Too bad.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:47 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Of course it was politically charged.* "Hey, Europeans like China more than they do the US!"* Talk about lobbing a grenade into a room.

That you are picking on Art and myself when notth certainly played a part indicates to me that you're upset at those who aren't taking your position.* Too bad.
I am not upset in the least by the views that you take. Simply saddened that your responses to alternate views were littered with "retard" insults. And I do think notth lost the plot aswell, he was simply less insulting and vitriolic than you. As I said previously, a good exchange of views on the topic of the original article would, I think, have been interesting and perhaps enlightening.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:57 AM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Simply saddened that your responses to alternate views were littered with "retard" insults.
The "moral retard" term was mine, to be fair. And when someone comes up with a better explanation for ANYONE to give higher favorability ratings to China than the US, I'll reconsider my use of that term.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:59 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am not upset in the least by the views that you take. Simply saddened that your responses to alternate views were littered with "retard" insults. And I do think notth lost the plot aswell, he was simply less insulting and vitriolic than you. As I said previously, a good exchange of views on the topic of the original article would, I think, have been interesting and perhaps enlightening.
If you expected that, then either you are a newbie to internet message boards or a troll.