Join Early Retirement Today

Re: China 'is more popular' than US
Old 06-27-2005, 08:36 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

No trolling here. And no glee. Just saddened at the bile that spews from certain quarters at the first mention of something that those same "certain quarters" dislike/disagree with.

Maybe you have answered the question as to why the world has a low opinion of the US - it is because of this type of intolerent and overbearing behaviour and the fear in people that such beligerence lies at the wrong end of a gun. Note that Art's first, yes FIRST post on this thread was:
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
It just proves what vile, worthless moral retards most of the citizens of those democracies are.

Makes me wish (kind of) we could follow the lyrics of that song:

"Let's drop the big one, see what happens...
BOOM goes London, BOOM Paree..."
So thanks, Whakamole and Art, and to some extent Ol_Rancher, now we know why the World hates the US. They think it is full of poeple like you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:12 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

7 more pages folks to break the record.

Where are the lawyers who read the fine print and the 'detail' en- ga -neers? On the same page of the original posted PEW link is another survey - wherein Turkey, Lebanon and the U.S. have similar views on what they like to see in a democratic govt - and a bunch of other stuff the muslim world 'wishes' they had in their govt.

The 23% in Turkey who view the U.S. favorably - reminds me of the best way to deal with so called conservatives - up close and personal - yes - outnumbered at the doughnut shop four to one - I got old Harry to turn red and choke on a doughnut while I was explaining how hot Jane Fonda was looking on tv in her old age - good thing he came early and sprang for box(cheaper by the dozen). Of course - that dirty old Republican Marine phart gets me good every once in a while.

Skins and shirts guys - get in there and fight for your team - never mind the odds.

7 more pages, 7 more pages.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Where is that good old American flair for total BS - now that we're in the home stretch.
I'm waiting for my shipment of BS to come in from China.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
So thanks, Whakamole and Art, and to some extent Ol_Rancher, now we know why the World hates the US. They think it is full of poeple like you.
Awww, you're so sweet!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is for unclemick, payback to you, because I enjoy your posts so much.

I suspect that the reason that the US's favorability rating has fallen below China's is that people's views emphasize dynamic factors (how the country is changing) as opposed to static factors (how the place is). China's economy is rising rapidly. They are growing their manufacturing and technology industries. They've become a major economic player. The US has a large trade deficit with China. Not only that, but China is a significant financier of the US government. Sure, they have lot's of problems, and many are due to their rapid growth.

Meanwhile, back in the USA, we're trying to ensure that the next generation have the similiar opportunities as the last. Jobs are outsourced, we need to 'save' social security, rising health care costs are a big problem. Manufacturing jobs are lost. We're bogged down in a war on another continent. We want lower taxes and increased spending. Even most Americans think we're 'headed in the wrong direction'. Just read the 'Young Dreamers' topic in this forum and you'll get the idea. Now imagine how a 'Young Dreamers' section in a Chinese forum might read. In the US many of our issues center around preserving what we already have.

Perceptions are largely shaped by how places are changing, not how they are.

Now for the diatribe...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welllll! - I'm old enough to remember 'the missile gap' and 'lets beat those evil Ruskie commies to the moon'.

China Gap??

Heh, heh, heh, heh. Maybe they have to buy something more dramatic than an oil co. to get us out of self -*

My Mom wouldn't mind if they bought The New York Yankees - she still thinks the Bums made a mistake by leaving Brooklyn.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Perfect! You are a fast learner