Join Early Retirement Today
China trip
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
China trip

DW and I just came back from a 3 week vacation in east-central China. Just ourselves, no organized tour. Worked out pretty good, with the Rough Guide's instructions and Mandarin phrases to help us. Plus the occasional Chinese speaking English, and the even more occasional Westerner speaking Mandarin.

Some pictures are available at

General observations:
  • It's easier to point at the phrase written in Chinese characters than it is to pronounce it. Much easier.
  • White skinned people are exotic there, especially in places off the foreign-tourist tracks, and most people we ran into were pretty helpful. For example, at bus stations, the clerks in every case were pretty nice, considering the communication barrier.
  • There are lots of Chinese tourists everywhere. A very visible manifestation of the new middle class.
  • We stayed in '2 star' hotels, mostly. About US$20-30 per night. Most places had plumbing glitches -- toilets that overflow easily, showerheads that come off when the shower is turned on, etc. Nothing too bad.

We flew to/from Shanghai on frequent flyer miles (AA), so the whole trip cost about US$2000. Probably about $500 of that was admission fees to various sites. Not a bad total for 20 days vacation.

Thinking about Tibet for next year!

-- P.S. -- I don't post much here, since I feel I'd mostly be saying 'I LBYM too', and stuff like that. But I find it a very interesting forum.

Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: China trip
Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to Beijing, Hangzhou, and Shanghai last fall with my T'ai Chi school--very much a regimented, guided tour kind of thing. That was fine for a first taste of the country, but...I hope to go back in a year or two on my/DH's own much like you guys--do Beijing in more depth, spend more time in the hangzhou/suzhou area, basically set our own pace and fly a little bit further under the radar (though I realize we're going to be objects of attention by definition).

OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The pictures looked great. Thanks for sharing!
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Man, those buildings on the face of the cliff are amazing. Thanks for the photos.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sounds like an excellent trip! great photos! thanks for sharing...

it sure sounds doable, arg, maybe when the kids are out of the nest...i have lots of time to plan that...
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard. I was in that area in '85. I walked up TaiShan - the city at the top is amazining. Rush wrote a song about the mountain.
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #7

I made my first trip to China in 1978 and the changes in modernitzation since then are astounding. I've made many return trips since then and to see the 4 star hotels in Beijing, Canton & Shanghai and other large cities left me amazed, but the boonies are still the boonies with small towns and villages unchanged for who knows how many decades.

Your pictures are wonderful and bring back many memories for me.